Of Gender, Dorm Rooms, and Audio Sources...
May 7, 2006 at 11:09 PM Post #16 of 38
Why don't you message a current student that lives in your dorm via facebook or even look through some peoples pictures. There are sure to be pictures of your future dorm room (well, one in the same building) and you can get an idea of how much space you will get. Also, congratulations on getting into Princeton!

May 8, 2006 at 12:57 AM Post #17 of 38
Hey Oddball, have you considered avoiding the problem by going with a computer->DAC + amp? You might think about Headroom's MicroDAC and MicroAMP. That would be plenty small on your desk and (assuming you have a laptop) it would also be a transportable rig you could take to the library.

May 8, 2006 at 1:06 AM Post #18 of 38
oddball, I wouldn't worry about it too much. Just bring it, and work it out with your roommate. I doubt you will have any problem..most people aren't that disrespectful.

That said, I definitely recommend the dac route. It's a pain moving and storing your cds/audio gear. Having all your music on a big harddrive(s) in flac format not only saves space, but is way more convenient and organized. Ripping/tagging everything took forever, but it was totally worth it.

grandenigma: I see you have your priorities straight.
biggrin.gif

May 8, 2006 at 1:11 AM Post #19 of 38
I suggest you build your bed up in a loft style(i.e. bed six feet above the floor). That way you can have a desk and lots of shelf under there for what ever equipment you want, all right at you fingertips. Plenty of storage also.

May 8, 2006 at 1:13 AM Post #20 of 38
You might want to be aware that stuff can potentially get stolen. I haven't had a problem yet (though all my stuff is cheap-looking and usually locked away), but I do know that it is one. I don't know enough about living with a girl who you do not know well but to my understanding (seeing how the dynamics are with some of the rooms here) they can make their roommate's lives miserable if they really object to something (like having a weird turntable that they don't understand). Also, to not be sexist guy roommates do the same thing too (my roommates think me to be a complete moron for all my stuff...).

EDIT: The DAC route is probably better than a cdp. Just about everyone in college has a computer nowdays, and it would cut down on limited space...

EDIT 2: You know oddball with all your equipment and your well thought out posts I thought you to be a lot older than you are... well good luck in college! You shall hopefully have a blast (I know I am at least).

May 8, 2006 at 1:17 AM Post #21 of 38
grandenigma1 - That's a really impressive use of space you have there!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rockofeller
There are sure to be pictures of your future dorm room (well, one in the same building) and you can get an idea of how much space you will get. Also, congratulations on getting into Princeton!

Hey thanks! I would look into what housing I'm getting, but I don't believe I get housing and roommate assignments until July, and I hoping to use the period of good feeling after my HS graduation to wheedle my parents into letting me upgrade my digital source. When I visited, I saw a lot of variation in dorm room size. So it's possible that I get my best case scenario of being able to put in an audio stand, but it's also possible that I get totall shafted.

viator122 and jim - Yeah, I was admiring the Eastsound E5 and other hefty CDPs, but I figure that I should put my money into a dac. It's by far more practical. I've been eyeing the Apogee Mini-dac for years now, but I've always found the Micro stack pretty darn cool. As far as portable dacs go though, I probably lean more towards the Larocco PR dac in development. Jim, it's funny that you bring up that flac is worth it, 'cause I've filled my 60 external HD with flac files, and I was just contemplating downsizing to mp3s. But I guess that since I'm going the dac route, I better keep them.

May 8, 2006 at 1:22 AM Post #22 of 38
@Oddball:

Get a bigger hard drive, they are so cheap these days. I bought my 300 gig Seagate for only $90, add an enclosure and you'll have plenty of storage for FLAC.

May 8, 2006 at 1:48 AM Post #23 of 38
I would be careful about getting things stolen, my brother's iPod has gone missing, as well as his roomate's laptop and iPod.
frown.gif

I'm not really how you could avoid something like that, but just keep it in mind.
smily_headphones1.gif

May 8, 2006 at 1:53 AM Post #24 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by hembergler
I would be careful about getting things stolen, my brother's iPod has gone missing, as well as his roomate's laptop and iPod.
frown.gif

I'm not really how you could avoid something like that, but just keep it in mind.
smily_headphones1.gif

I do! You just lock the freaking door. Some people I know actually leave their doors unlocked whiile they go to the dining hall.

May 8, 2006 at 2:03 AM Post #25 of 38
Here's my take on it: go minimal. You're going to be starting at a university and it won't be easy, you'll need to really dig in for a while and get a routine going. Take it from someone who went to school with too many toys (and subsequently bombed), just leave yourself completely free for the studying.

After a semester you'll have a better idea of how secure your equipment will be in your dorm, how much space you'll have, and how much time you'll have to devote to the equipment.

You're also highly appreciative of your audio so why don't you go portable for a semester (the head-fi version of minimalism). You'll find it extremely useful throughout college to have a portable rig anyway.

May 8, 2006 at 3:11 AM Post #26 of 38
Heh, back in the day, I had a DIY set of speakers (2x4x1 feet) and back then a "record player" was the norm, I had a recording cassette deck even. I never had a room mate complain. - obviously quite a long time ago, and things were different etc.

Today?

No question start the year with a laptop, a DAC/AMP (Total BitHead) and some cans. Then you can see the layout of the land (dorm) and make some plans when you get home.

When you take your turn able and better gear, one thought would be to get one of the old fashion footlockers, and fit your stuff in it. Then you could lock it when gone. (bike lock the locker to a fixture also if worried) Dust, and other things would be taken care of. A footlocker can also be a decent end or coffee table in a dorm room.

On the other hand, my daughter is graduating this month, and going to Tulane in the fall. Of course I can't wean her from ipod buds, or an old set of Bose isolation cans. I tried to get her to use a set of Ety 6i even, but she was too squeemish for IEM. I do need to get her a new notebook though, she has had the same one since freshman year at high school.

I also agree with taking it easy on gear your first semester. There will be a lot more interesting things to do as a freshman at Princeton. A lot of adjusting to do as well.

May 8, 2006 at 8:29 AM Post #27 of 38
well when I was at uni i had my hifi seperate system on the floor in my room under a chair, until I kicked it by accident two times. Then when i had it in the living/kitchen room for a party a friend (blazing drunk) fell on top of it and then I had a huge dent in the top of of amp and my cdplayer was totalled.

uni and expensive kit don't mix if you ask me...

May 8, 2006 at 8:37 AM Post #28 of 38
First of all, congrats on Princeton! You'll have a blast! Second, college is very laid back - if you do something that very "you" instead of something that is typically "girly" you actually get Style and Cool points. Lastly, if you do bring the whole rig, the only reason I would put it under the bed is for security reasons as mentioned above. I've had plenty of CDs "walk" on me - but something like a TT probably won't move as easily, thank goodness. I say go for it and blast it proudly!

May 8, 2006 at 9:27 AM Post #29 of 38
I have two PCs under my desk and my sources/amps in a half height cupboard thing... The "under the bed" idea sound VERY VERY bad to me. Dust will get into it bigtime. My PCs are choked with dust after just 2 months, and they're well ventilated in their areas under the desk.. so imagine how a CDP or turntable will end up with dust bunnies under a bed?

I don't like the idea. Plus, having to move the gear regularly is asking for something to happen, no matter how careful you are.

I hope ur room mate is a head-fier! problem solved
wink.gif

May 8, 2006 at 12:51 PM Post #30 of 38
Personally, I wouldn't bring anything of serious value to a dorm room. Not the dorm I lived in, at least. Wait until you can move off campus.

I would bring Computer > DAC > headphone or iPod > headphone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back