Of all the rotten timing, Thorens Go Ballistic on Ebay
Sep 21, 2003 at 6:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

chadbang

Headphoneus Supremus
I seem to have picked the worst possible time in the history of the world to want a Thorens turntable. Now, we all know how long the "vinyl thing", courtesy a few members here has been in swing, so why did I decide NOW to get another table, a Thorens at that.

Now the old Thorens are good tables (but really no match for modern wonders) and you can see one with a good arm going for around $400-500, but what the hell? I was tracking this auction; sounded like a decent table. The word "mint" not even bandied about (and that' surprising for some of the audio greenhorns on ebay).

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...category=48649

Unbelievable, the worst possible time to want a Thorens! I give up on ebay. Things are out of control. What a drag.

Sep 21, 2003 at 6:42 PM Post #2 of 17
Seems like a great time to sell at ebay however
biggrin.gif

Sep 21, 2003 at 6:46 PM Post #3 of 17
the phrase "zero sum game" comes to mind. bummer about the thorens chadbang.
frown.gif

Sep 21, 2003 at 8:52 PM Post #4 of 17
Usually I would say that those tables were overpriced to begin with. Fact of the matter is,I think these are the rpices they should be selling for. Much of the vintage gear is selling for far too cheap with exception of the old McIntosh,Marantz and some of the Sansui stuff. It was rediculous to see old Dynaco amps going for $175.00 and the Yamaha tables selling for $50-100 when they cost $750 new and are built to last two lifetimes. I think we are just seeing an "adjustment" in prices and this is where they will likely stay for a while.

Sep 21, 2003 at 10:57 PM Post #5 of 17
Heh... didn't i tell you to pick one up in the first thread?

They will only go up in value in the future, unlike new tables which will only go down in value.

At this point though, it might be smarter to pick up a garrad 401 or one of the vintage fairchild tables.

Sep 22, 2003 at 10:25 AM Post #6 of 17
Arrruggh. Yes, Tim, you did!
biggrin.gif

I should have heeded your advice then, they've been steadily climbing over the past two months! But like an idiot, I sold my Audio Research preamp to finance the Thorens, and then my wife absconded with the profits! Baby needs a new pair of shoes!

A Garrard 301 is my alternative table. Supposedly sounds better than the Thorens with a less complex design (less prone to breakdown). I've heard that the QC on the 301s was better than with the 401s. Saw a 301 in a shop the other day. A thing of beauty and that MASSIVE machined platter is unbelieveable. What a hunk of iron! To think that these things sold new at $35! Incredible! I kinda hate the styling of the 401, but the 301 gives me a pop tent these days. Another good vintage I've heard are the Empire tables.

Quote:

Usually I would say that those tables were overpriced to begin with. Fact of the matter is,I think these are the rpices they should be selling for. Much of the vintage gear is selling for far too cheap with exception of the old McIntosh,Marantz and some of the Sansui stuff. It was rediculous to see old Dynaco amps going for $175.00 and the Yamaha tables selling for $50-100 when they cost $750 new and are built to last two lifetimes. I think we are just seeing an "adjustment" in prices and this is where they will likely stay for a while.

Ebay has just really screwed with the collectables market. I'm a long time movie poster collector and it has just destroyed the poster market. All of a sudden posters are coming out of the woodwork from every direction trashing prices. Before, you'd have to deal with a poster dealer, now they're coming out of people's closets and going for nothing. My collection is worth about 1/10th of what is once was.

I bet the same thing happened with audiogear. Thousands of people had old Dynaco amps gathering dust in the basement and they sold them for nothing. Maybe you're right, and the market is starting to readjust itself. But I don't think the market will ever quite be the same, as dealers could always set and hold the prices and value of equipment, but now the cat's out of the bag and they don't have control anymore.

But.... every Thorens collector I've talked with (and now I've met quite a few) seem to put a TD-124 at around $500 bucks in value. They all think the current prices are a bit mad. One guy I talk with who just sold a TD-124 for $700 bucks said to me, "I don't know what that guy was thinking, no way it's worth that much". I think the whole vinyl revival fad is probably seeing these tables take in a bit more than they're really worth (I'm certain it's become a bit of a fad because some of the girls in my office are starting to say "I want a vintage record player!". Grrr. Now its chic and trendy and destroying prices for music lovers!) Hopefully in another year they'll head back down again. We'll see, I guess. Frankly, my latest vinyl venture has my cd player looking pretty good again. Steely Dan never sounded so bad.
mad.gif

Sep 22, 2003 at 7:54 PM Post #7 of 17
Quote:

Originally posted by chadbang
I seem to have picked the worst possible time in the history of the world to want a Thorens turntable. Now, we all know how long the "vinyl thing", courtesy a few members here has been in swing, so why did I decide NOW to get another table, a Thorens at that.

Now the old Thorens are good tables (but really no match for modern wonders) and you can see one with a good arm going for around $400-500, but what the hell? I was tracking this auction; sounded like a decent table. The word "mint" not even bandied about (and that' surprising for some of the audio greenhorns on ebay).

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...category=48649

Unbelievable, the worst possible time to want a Thorens! I give up on ebay. Things are out of control. What a drag.

I used to have a 125 Mk II. Sold it in 1988. I had a Magnepan arm on it, Stax cartridge.

Ahhh! Here's one:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...&category=3283

Sep 23, 2003 at 12:44 AM Post #12 of 17
Quote:

Originally posted by eric343
Most recent one IIRC.

Yep... (see lower right corner).

OCT2003-lg.jpg

I think I'm gonna have to pick this issue up, or at least thumb thru it at a newsstand... interested in what they have to say.

Sep 23, 2003 at 3:27 AM Post #14 of 17
It really is a good time to sell on Ebay, I recently sold a used midi keyboard I paid 245.00 dollars for at the amazing price of 332.00 dollars. Okay, and not only did I sell it for way more than I paid after owning it for over a year, but the RETAIL price of the thing was only 300.00!! All I have to say to this experience is, Ebay rocks.

Sep 23, 2003 at 10:38 AM Post #15 of 17
Yeah, ebay can really work in your favor. I bought a Total Airhead for $150 new from Headroom, used it for a year, and sold it for $150 plus $12 shipping. A free Airhead for a year!

Er, which Yamaha turntables did you like, Tuberoller?
rolleyes.gif

(I know, I'm pathetic. I should just collect vintage tables so I have an excuse to hear them all.
very_evil_smiley.gif
)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back