Odd question for seniors
Sep 12, 2007 at 7:08 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

Seaside

500+ Head-Fier
Sorry if this question sounds silly or odd.

I want to hear about climacteric disturbance from seniors and/or docs.
What symptons you're gonna get when you hit a certain age, let say 50?
And how to deal with those symptons?

I have a close relative who is 57 yr old male, and he is in trouble now.
He had all kind of symtons like...

He don't feel like before. Often hard to wake up from the bed. His hands feel numb. His is losing feeling in the feet. His legs get tired very often especially when he is driving. he said those symptons are started a few years ago.

He went to doctors including neurologist, took all sort of tests. You name it, he had it. All tests came out to be normal, and all docs said they can not find anything specifically bad.

What made him angry, I guess, is what docs said. They told him, there is no medicine that can cure his symptoms completely. No cure? OMG!

He is a very nice man. But those symptons changed him quite much in bad ways. Whenever I visit him, he gets more and more emotional. He lost his smile, and he looks distracted. That makes everyone arrounds him feel uneasy.

So, I tried to talk him, asked him what he think is going on. He said docs said there's no cure for what's going on, it must be some illness that the docs don't even know. I told him, all tests are ok, so it maybe is nothing to worry about, try to relax. He told me back with little angry tone, that's why I think something is seriousely wrong, why docs can not find it if it is simple like that?

Well... I am not saying he don't have symptons. He defnitely feels bad about them. But what I am thinking is... his symptons are a part of aging process rather than a decease. He is getting old, that's why. I feel like he knew, but he certainly won't admit it. He may need a reason to blame, something to fix. I guess that's why docs gave him antianxiety drugs.

So... what do you people think, especially seniors and docs?
Do you think he has some physical problem or its just aging?
Is there any way to make him feel better?

Thanks.

Sep 13, 2007 at 2:26 AM Post #3 of 16
Yes, He tested diabetes.
He tested quite lot. General blood and urine test (it can tell a lot of things including diabetes) come out to be ok. Xrays, MRIs, series of nerve system checkups, thyroid checkups, electrocardiograms etc etc. All done at this year, all are ok.

He is in retail business, so I do think he is stressed just like other retailors.
He sleeps ok, I don't think he has anything severe enough to be called sleeping disorder.

Sep 13, 2007 at 3:03 AM Post #4 of 16
I'm 63 and to be honest I have only two symptoms that I notice: 1.)The guy on the other side of the mirror just can't be the same one that's on this side. The one on this side still feels 23 and continues to look through that mirror without glasses.

2.)There is a noticeable increase in gravity connected with the chair I normally sit in. And when I run as fast as I can to get to a destination, the destination tends to run the other way.

I do have Congestive Heart Failure brought about by job stress....and I absolutely LOVED my job!, but as long as I take my medication I feel absolutely normal.

Otherwise, unless I look in the mirror, or read my birth certificate, I feel like I'm still in my 20s.

Hope this helps in the research.

Sep 13, 2007 at 4:08 AM Post #5 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by F107plus5 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm 63 and to be honest I have only two symptoms that I notice: 1.)The guy on the other side of the mirror just can't be the same one that's on this side. The one on this side still feels 23 and continues to look through that mirror without glasses.

2.)There is a noticeable increase in gravity connected with the chair I normally sit in. And when I run as fast as I can to get to a destination, the destination tends to run the other way.

I do have Congestive Heart Failure brought about by job stress....and I absolutely LOVED my job!, but as long as I take my medication I feel absolutely normal.

Otherwise, unless I look in the mirror, or read my birth certificate, I feel like I'm still in my 20s.

Hope this helps in the research.

Your post puts my mind at ease about the worries of aging. Im 25, and have always feared the worst for my elder years. I'm very health conscious, and always worried that no matter what I do, I can't continue to feel the way I do now, but now I have hope.

Sep 13, 2007 at 4:38 AM Post #6 of 16
Thanks F107plus5 for your input.

I love to see a senior feel young, and his soul is just as bright as before.

The darn thing is... you sounds healthier than me, who obviously is quite younger than you. When I see the mirror, I no longer see the army ranger I was before. What I see is a guy who looks pale and infirm.
I mean, what the heck? Should I blame the accident that cracked my backbone, knee and made my left eye almost blind? Or is that this illness that made me lose 20 pounds within few months?

Nah... I would not. Life is bright when see through it with positive mind, otherwise, it sucks.

Thanks you, and my respect to you.
I wish my relative can see hope over his symptons soon.

Sep 13, 2007 at 11:53 AM Post #7 of 16
Get your friend to ask about "restless leg syndrome". It's not rare, but under-diagnosed. It does seem to be coming to light more and more these days. I'm not 100% clear on the details but it can be quite an awful thing to deal with (my girl's dad has it - probably always did but now exacerbated with aging). Thankfully, his doctor has helped him deal with it, but there is indeed no cure as of now.

Sep 13, 2007 at 4:09 PM Post #10 of 16
Quote:

I have a close relative who is 57 yr old male, and he is in trouble now.
He had all kind of symtons like...

The symptoms you mention are not normal for a 57 year old. They are not part of the aging process. Also, how can the doctors say there is no cure if they don't even know what's wrong with him?

Sep 13, 2007 at 6:12 PM Post #11 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by zotjen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The symptoms you mention are not normal for a 57 year old. They are not part of the aging process. Also, how can the doctors say there is no cure if they don't even know what's wrong with him?

That I don't know since I am not him or one of those doctors.

I wonder what makes you think its not mormal. Can you kindly explain to me? That may help me understand the situation.

To me, it sounds like what he has is just like what old ladies have after their manopause. Numbness, stiffness, emotional flutuation, pyshical pain or instability in some parts of body, etc etc is common due to hormon imbalance. Man could have this. some do not feel it much, some really do.

I suspect this is what he has, since his symptons and time frame are in the spot. Then I don't think doc can give him a good answer or cure.

Anyways, that's what I am thinking, and hoping.
I wanted to have opinios from seniors and docs, but I guess, I asked too much.
cool.gif

Sep 13, 2007 at 6:27 PM Post #12 of 16
I'll be 47 next month and know many people who are the same age as your relative and older. Although some of what you describe may be attributed to the aging process, per your report, the degree to which his symtoms affect him do not seem normal at all. I am not a doctor, but due to family history know that some diseases such as M.S. and lupus (both in my family) can be difficult to diagnose. Please note that I'm NOT saying his symtoms are connected to those diseases, but just that sometimes there are illnesses that can't be nailed down as quickly as others. Sometimes answers can be found in simple food allergies. I have one brother who is very sensitive to wheat glutens and it affects his whole body and his mood. Sometimes, simple weight loss changes everything. I don't know what options your relative has explored, but there are probably answers out there for him.

Sep 13, 2007 at 7:32 PM Post #13 of 16
Thanks boomana.

Hmm... Multiple sclerosis.
is that what he's worrying about?
He does not look like MS patient now, but I never know for sure. As far as I know of, MS has no cure, but it's not life threatening decease when controled with proper medicine. So that makes some sense. I just hope not.

He is taking another test at Georgetown Univ hospital tommorow.
Not sure what test it is, since I was not able to ask due to his mood swing, when I visited him last time. I hope they can tell him what it is, and it turn out to be something treatable without whole lot of problem.

Sep 13, 2007 at 7:48 PM Post #14 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Seaside /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks boomana.

Hmm... Multiple sclerosis.
is that what he's worrying about?

Careful with medical speculation. See a doctor.

Sep 13, 2007 at 8:21 PM Post #15 of 16
I would not judge anything for sure with someone else's body.

He had a schedule with a doctor tommorow, and I wish hopefully everything turned out to be clear and ok. I want to see him take his worries off and smile again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back