Odd origins prooving neccessity is the mother of invention :)
Aug 26, 2008 at 6:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Pricklely Peete

Franken modder
Hi Fellow Head Fi members,

What are the origins of the wrist watch and why ?

I know the answer. I just thought it might be interesting to pose the question. The answer is somewhat surprising.

Peete.

Aug 26, 2008 at 6:32 PM Post #3 of 11
Have to wait for a bit first before I reveal the answer
smily_headphones1.gif

Here's a hint...It's a UK innovation...

Peete.

Aug 26, 2008 at 7:12 PM Post #4 of 11
Ok I'll fess up.

During the third battle of Ypres in Oct/Nov 1917 the infamous battle of Passchedaele was about to leave it's bloody footprint in history. The standard issue time piece didn't exist..rather the fashion was pocket watches of all types,origins and quality. The previous summer at the Somme coordination of the attack was not very good and that cost many lives, the solution to that was synchronizing all the time pieces. Well thay got that part down but the method of use was still a problem, whistle in one hand, rifle or revolver in the other (for the Sgt or officer) well you can see the problem. Plus it took time to pull it out of your pocket and put it back in...The wrist watch was quickly assimilated into the ranks because of it's convenience and it's been that way ever since. A quick glance of the wrist and you know the time without looking down to your pockets ...

The cost of Passchendaele nearly ruined the Allies. For the ground gained it cost 2 men per inch...that's right per inch.

I hope we never see the likes of that again WWII included...

Peete.

Aug 26, 2008 at 8:01 PM Post #5 of 11
Wow, really quite surprising the wrist watch has only been around since 1917. Interesting though. Cheers.

Aug 26, 2008 at 8:13 PM Post #6 of 11
I know JDN...I would have thought a little earlier than 1917 as well.

Peete.

Aug 26, 2008 at 8:45 PM Post #7 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by J.D.N /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wow, really quite surprising the wrist watch has only been around since 1917. Interesting though. Cheers.

I actually thought it would have been a bit later, in the 20s. meh, i wasnt far off.

Aug 26, 2008 at 9:17 PM Post #8 of 11
Aug 26, 2008 at 9:31 PM Post #9 of 11
Interesting. Thanks for sharing your story, and craiglester for the link.

Aug 26, 2008 at 9:35 PM Post #10 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by craiglester /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's debatable when the wrist watch was actually invented..

The History and Evolution of the Wristwatch...

according to this it was well before 1917..

I don't think theres an exact date..

Your probably right...there is no doubt however that the mass acceptance of such a thing boiled down to it's mass use by the Allies in late 1917 of WWI for coordinating Artillery (creeping barrage) with infantry and Tank (Mk 4 Tank) advance. Timing became and is forevermore, critical to warfare if you plan on winning with the least amount of casualties and collateral damage. The humble wrist watch had a hand in making possible maneuver warfare, couple that with 2 way radios and you have the basis for Blitzkrieg.

IMHO of course. It's hard to fathom now but the French and English in 39-40 only had radios (in some instances 1 way radios) in the commanders Tanks....the Germans had 2 way radios in all of them. The difference between Victory and defeat oftentimes boils down to things we think are boring everyday household items like a wrist watch or a battery operated radio
smily_headphones1.gif

Peete.

PS I wrote this before I read that excellent link....cool beans
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 26, 2008 at 10:31 PM Post #11 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pricklely Peete /img/forum/go_quote.gif
IMHO of course. It's hard to fathom now but the French and English in 39-40 only had radios (in some instances 1 way radios) in the commanders Tanks....the Germans had 2 way radios in all of them. The difference between Victory and defeat oftentimes boils down to things we think are boring everyday household items like a wrist watch or a battery operated radio
smily_headphones1.gif

I remember reading somewhere that at the outbreak of WWII, the French had superior tanks to the German ones, but the German offensive worked because of the new tactics. On the Eastern Front, it has come out recently that the reason Operation Barbarossa was so successful at first was in spite of the Russians being poised to do the same thing in the opposite direction with 100 Divisions (!) and 1 million (!!) paratroopers. The Germans beat them to it by a matter of weeks, and the Russians, who had prepared for an offensive war, were suddenly fighting a defensive war. It could be argued that the Germans saved Western Civilization.
beerchug.gif

Laz

Users who are viewing this thread

Back