odd kitten encounter... ?
Nov 3, 2005 at 12:57 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

mjg

Headphoneus Supremus
Well, It's a goofy story, but i feel kinda guilty and stuff so i figured i'd talk about it here and see what people familiar with cats might think.

Mcdonalds drive through is where i am, they gave me an extra soda, i go in and return it yoda yoda, back out by my car, i see 2 very small cats, one white, one black, i guess like teenage kittens? i dunno, like small cats, and they are together as a couple or whatever... brother and sister u tell me.

Anyhow, i noticed the cat and made a pleasant gesture to the cat llike the cat noise thingy most people to do cats (im clearly a dog person, i dont know cats at all) anyhow one seems to reciprocate and keeps poking out of the bush, then i walk close, he ducks in and hides... Now i walk back to my car and do this a few times, wondering if the cat will get close enough that i can determine if it's a stray or not... Anyhow he had no tags, neither of them did, the other one poked out 2 when i was sitting in my car wondering what to do, its 8pm and i got no idea how to contact the animal shelter...

So now im wondering whats going to happen to those 2 cats, and if this is anormal thing that jus thappened? Do stray cats act playful? Do cats this small typically wander out alone and have homes? What do u guys think?

Either way, definatly a weird thing to me.

Nov 3, 2005 at 1:29 AM Post #2 of 16
Are there a lot of houses nearby? It's possible they were lost, or maybe the owner just lets them play outdoors. If it were me, I would only bother bringing them to a shelter if it were *clear* they were lost. A lot of people do (unwisely) let their cats play outdoors.

If you do decide to bring them to a shelter, see if they're microchipped. That would identify the owner quickly.

Nov 3, 2005 at 1:34 AM Post #4 of 16
i feel kinda crappy about this...

i mean it's been awhile now i don't think i'm going to bother going back, yet what am i supposed to do, chase them and throw them in my car? I never really handled cats and don't know what to do with stray animals... Also i told my landlord about it, and she said the animal shelter is closed.

damn im kinda bummed about it, the kittens were kind of cute. If i was allowed to keep pets here, i'd keep them myself.

Nov 3, 2005 at 1:39 AM Post #5 of 16
Yes, you must take them home and care for them. Eventually, you will forget that you possessed the mistaken apprehension that you had been a dog-person.

[STORY]
You feed, water and love a dog. The dog suddenly realises this and slobbers, stares and adores you, thinking, "You feed, water and love me. YOU MUST BE GOD!"

You feed, water and love a cat. The cat realises this one day and opines it itself, "You feed, water and love me. I must be God."

Nov 3, 2005 at 1:51 AM Post #6 of 16
The super's not going to worry about a couple of days. The best place that will care for them is the North Shore Animal League over in Port Washington.

Link here

All you have to do is put 'em in a box in your back seat and keep them in your bed or bathroom with some milk or dry food. It will be a great deal better than on the street. North Shore will do the rest when you drop them off. They'll have a home in a few days. Call them at 877-472-8373

Nov 3, 2005 at 2:30 AM Post #7 of 16
If you took them in you could easily get them adopted, however...

you in a car alone driving with two kittens can lead to trouble because i can damn well guarantee they would have freaked out if you tried to pick them up and scratched the hell out of you and that's coming from personal experience since my gf does save kittens and find them homes.

However, the box would work although i would NOT give them milk or dryfood. Milk can give kittens and cats diarhea (sp?) and they can't really eat dry food yet. Wet food would be it with fresh water and keep them away, far away from your dog and if/when you handle them wash your hand and change clothes, otherwise you'll carry fleas over to your dog.

Again, from personal experience...

Nov 3, 2005 at 3:49 AM Post #8 of 16
i didn't get the kittens,

don't hate my guys.. i couldn't even find a box sitting around here, and just thought it was a bad idea. I feel kinda crappy about it though.

Nov 3, 2005 at 9:17 PM Post #10 of 16
Sounds like they were born in the wild. To an extent they end up being somewhat "feral"... in that they see you as a threat. Good luck trying to catch them. If they're young enough it's possible they will warm up to you.

Nov 3, 2005 at 9:33 PM Post #12 of 16
Well, I'm an animal lover and things like that have happened to me several times. Here in Bulgaria the street dogs (that's how we call them) are ubiquitous. Sometimes I see some dog which is in very bad condition and feel bad about it, then buy some sausage, but when I get back the dog is gone. So in my experience if you are going to help the animal do it in the moment or you would feel bad afterwards. Take some action as the normal people would do. The animal can't go to the shop and buy food or steal food to live. It depends on us - the people. Actually in my country the situation is just like if you give the dog to the state animal shelter it is 99% sure that it would be killed within a week, not to say the same day.

Nov 3, 2005 at 11:02 PM Post #13 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by the_villain
Actually in my country the situation is just like if you give the dog to the state animal shelter it is 99% sure that it would be killed within a week, not to say the same day.

There's a few shelters in the US that have a non-euthanasia policy - one of them is the North Shore Animal League on Long Island, and another is in Denver CO, called the Dumb Friends Animal League. I was on vacation once in Denver, happened to stop in there, fell in love with two cute kitties and there with me now in their kitty condo
biggrin.gif

Nov 4, 2005 at 2:24 PM Post #15 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by stevesurf
There's a few shelters in the US that have a non-euthanasia policy - one of them is the North Shore Animal League on Long Island, and another is in Denver CO, called the Dumb Friends Animal League. I was on vacation once in Denver, happened to stop in there, fell in love with two cute kitties and there with me now in their kitty condo
biggrin.gif

that name is awesome, dumb friends?

seriously, killing stray animals is kinda messed up, unless they are dangerous to humans, i'd sooner let them take their chances on the wild then die with certainity in some place like that... Yet if the animal carried disease harmful to humans, thats another thing i dunno.

Eitherway, i wish i coulda kept those kittens, woulda been a cool way to get them and they woulda had like a special bond with me and themselves and stuff . I'm a dik.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back