Odd Grado Problem: single driver fades out after a few seconds of playing.
Jan 21, 2007 at 3:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

TeRrAPh0eNiX

100+ Head-Fier
I recently recabled my Grado SR-125s with starquad to fix the inevitable disconnection of the original cable job in the Y-piece. Job went smooth, didn't fry anything, and they look and sound fantastic.

I've encountered a strange problem now, though: the left driver fades from normal volume to completely cutting out after playing anywhere from 5-10 seconds. The odd thing is that simply taking out the headphone plug from my source (mp3 player or laptop) and sticking it back in sometimes makes the left driver start playing again, but then it fades away again: same problem.

I'm wondering if anyone in the Headfi community has experienced anything like this. I've checked all the connections in the plug, the Y-split, the ground and signal cable solder job to the driver; i've taken out the driver and inspected it for tears or anything unusual, and nothing, no dice: everything i can see is normal.

any suggestions or comments?
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 21, 2007 at 5:52 PM Post #4 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by TeRrAPh0eNiX /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I recently recabled my Grado SR-125s with starquad to fix the inevitable disconnection of the original cable job in the Y-piece.

I would start with the simple things first while troubleshooting.

I see you have tried the headphones with an MP3 player, as well as a computer. I would try the headphones plugged into the headphone jack of your reciever (assuming you have one). Try a source other than MP3 playback (try CD playback and see if it still happens).

If it still happens, then I am about out of ideas - I'm not sure if a cold solder joint can cause such an issue...

But just out of curiosity, can you explain why you think the 'cable job in the Y piece' will inevitably fail? I have owned many, many pairs of Grados over the years, and never had a single problem with the stock cabling. I don't recall many (if any) posts here on Head-Fi where a properly cared for pair of Grados failed at the 'Y' split with normal use.

Granted, the cables can get twisted up due to the nature of the earcups having the ability to spin all the way around, but minimal attention is required to ensure that doesn't happen.

Good luck with your problem. I hope they weren't a brand new pair. It would be ashame if you just voided the warranty on them.
blink.gif

Jan 22, 2007 at 3:54 PM Post #5 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by MaZa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Have you tried it with any other source and amp?

Yes, i've determined the problem-o is with the driver, as my e4cs work perfectly fine with or without my cmoy, and with either my laptop or my mp3 player as the source.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fitz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You may have a problem on the left channel of your cmoy, if you're using it on both the mp3 player and laptop and it's cutting out on both.

This problem happens without the amplifier too; this was actually one of the first things i tested when this problemstarted.

Quote:

Originally Posted by lmilhan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
But just out of curiosity, can you explain why you think the 'cable job in the Y piece' will inevitably fail? I have owned many, many pairs of Grados over the years, and never had a single problem with the stock cabling. I don't recall many (if any) posts here on Head-Fi where a properly cared for pair of Grados failed at the 'Y' split with normal use.

Haha, i think my word order in writing that sentence jumbled up my meaning: i recabled only after the connection was lost in the y-split, not to prevent it from happening in the first place. i do take care of my Grados; i've had them for over 1 and a half years.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back