Odd computer output
Jan 18, 2010 at 12:06 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Hybrys

Headphoneus Supremus
So, I've been looking into maxing my sound quality on a budget. Blahblahblah, typical scenario on these forums...

The part that makes it less typical, atleast to my limited experience, is that my computer apparently has this odd digital out. Socketed into the HP out. It's a SPDIF out, and I can't figure out what to do with it. Is there some kind of DAC I can get for it that would be superior to a normal USB DAC? Or would there be limited differences?

Few things. I only need a DAC. I have a DIY amp that I want to run. That said, I'm open to DIY projects, but I'd prefer manufactured. I'm on Win7, and the laptop is a Gateway P-7805u. I'm a sound designer/technician, and I need the entire rig to be semi portable. And I'm on a limited budget. Sub $300; the cheaper the better. The DAC I'm looking at now is the M-Audio Transit. I need 24-bit compatibility.

Thanks.

Jan 18, 2010 at 2:35 AM Post #3 of 6
Right, but, would I just plug it in like I would plug in headphones? Wouldn't I need an adapter of some kind?

Jan 18, 2010 at 10:40 AM Post #6 of 6
I looked at this adapter when I hooked my Compass to the sound card but I thought it might be a little flimsy. I ended up getting a 3 ft Toslink to Mini Toslink cable from Monoprice.com. This one here! Might be a little more robust if you're going to tote it around.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back