Odd click-sound every minute or so on Grado sr225
Aug 30, 2009 at 4:05 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

mr.logos

New Head-Fier
Hello all, I recently received my Grado sr225 (not i) from amazon, with box and all, but (i think) used as a display model in a store or something (as they were sold in -as new- condition). First of all, thanks to everyone who helped me out in my first post asking if I should take the plunge and buy them- holy crap, they are incredible, the difference between them and all the other headphones I've owned before is just plain crazy.
However- I noticed that whenever I am listening to music from my laptop, I occasionally hear a odd, faint CLICK or TICK sound from the left headphone. It's very quiet and gentle but it's there and it is noticeable.
I was wondering what it could be- perhaps something odd going on with the power from my laptop? I was getting some static from my built-in speakers some time ago but the problem seemed to go away on its own.
Is it possible i somehow, oh unluckiest of them all got a dud? I have never heard of a headphone being damaged in such a way, but of course i guess it was a risk i took seeing as they were not brand new from the factory...
Has anyone experience something similar to this? Is there something I can do to fix this, or somehow resolve the problem? Or should i pray i can send them back to the seller and get a different pair... problem is I am leaving the States for 4 months in 2 weeks and I probably won't even have time for the replacements to arrive.
Anyway, any and all information would be greatly appreciated!

Aug 30, 2009 at 5:16 AM Post #3 of 8
That's definitely a laptop-specific issue.

Aug 30, 2009 at 5:52 AM Post #4 of 8
The soundcards on a lot of computers are nowhere up to the standards of a headphone amp or decent sound source. I have Grados and have had a variety of IEMs. My computers introduce a noticeable hum. You should try some other sources to get a second reading. If it only happens when you're plugged into your computer, it's the computer.

Aug 30, 2009 at 6:53 AM Post #5 of 8
I'm guessing your laptop sound is software run. My laptop doesn't have a sound card and uses software to decode everything, and I constantly hear clicks and pops in the music. They're not at the same place in the music, so it's not the recording. Put a legit sound card on there if you want to get rid of that misc sounds.

I disagree with people who say they can't get good sound from a sound card. You may not be able to get it from a laptop sound card, but there are numerous quality desktop sound cards out there. My desktop generates better sound than my stereo, but then again I don't have a 8k system.

Aug 31, 2009 at 3:27 AM Post #6 of 8
thanks for the responses guys! i hooked the headphones to my pocketpc (hp ipaq 6925) and there was no popping or cracking noise anymore, so thank goodness it's just the laptop. I guess i expected more of it, but thenagain the harman/kardon sticker is just for show there, prompting the assumption that the sound-source should be half-decent as well. regardless, can't wait to plug them into a real source and truly enjoy them :p.
anyway, all i well in grado-land! thanks again!

cheers!

Aug 31, 2009 at 3:31 AM Post #7 of 8
Head-Fi, the only place where you can plug headphones into a laptop, have them not work, and say "thank goodness it's just the laptop"
smily_headphones1.gif

Cheers on your 225 being functional, they really are a great pair of cans.

Aug 31, 2009 at 1:44 PM Post #8 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by LingLing1337 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Head-Fi, the only place where you can plug headphones into a laptop, have them not work, and say "thank goodness it's just the laptop"
smily_headphones1.gif

Cheers on your 225 being functional, they really are a great pair of cans.

Too true.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back