ODAC + LD MKIII - Little Dot volume knob not working correctly anymore
Apr 15, 2016 at 4:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

mAurelius

New Head-Fier
Hi,
I've had this setup for quite some time: Windows 10 --> ODAC --> LD MKIII --> HD 650

I recently got a new computer (both old and new computer have Windows 10). For some reason, the volume knob on the MKIII is no longer doing anything on my new computer. Well, it's not that it does *nothing*, it creates a slightly imperceptible change in volume, and actually backwards (when I go up to max, the volume goes down just a bit). It's stuck sort of at a low-volume range.

I'm not sure if this is an issue at the software level with Windows, or at the ODAC level, or the MKIII level with an actual broken knob. Any suggestions on where to go to troubleshoot this? 

All my settings for jumpers and things are the same as they've always been, back when it worked fine. I haven't really changed anything with my setup except for getting a different computer, but the computer has the same OS. 

Any advice would be appreciated!

Apr 16, 2016 at 12:37 AM Post #2 of 8
  Hi,
I've had this setup for quite some time: Windows 10 --> ODAC --> LD MKIII --> HD 650

I recently got a new computer (both old and new computer have Windows 10). For some reason, the volume knob on the MKIII is no longer doing anything on my new computer. Well, it's not that it does *nothing*, it creates a slightly imperceptible change in volume, and actually backwards (when I go up to max, the volume goes down just a bit). It's stuck sort of at a low-volume range.

I'm not sure if this is an issue at the software level with Windows, or at the ODAC level, or the MKIII level with an actual broken knob. Any suggestions on where to go to troubleshoot this? 

All my settings for jumpers and things are the same as they've always been, back when it worked fine. I haven't really changed anything with my setup except for getting a different computer, but the computer has the same OS. 

Any advice would be appreciated!

If it's going backwards when you move the knob then it's the amplifier that has an issue, not the DAC much less Windows. That's what controls the volume - adjusting it using the knob doesn't do anything with the components upstream of the amplifier.

Apr 17, 2016 at 1:12 PM Post #3 of 8
Perhaps a bit silly question but are you sure that you don't have your LD's inputs reversed? It may lock your unit to a constant volume output setting and the volume knob won't have any effect.

Apr 17, 2016 at 1:31 PM Post #4 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozenhaze /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Perhaps a bit silly question but are you sure that you don't have your LD's inputs reversed? It may lock your unit to a constant volume output setting and the volume knob won't have any effect.

I'm not sure what you mean here - he can't reverse one set of inputs for the other since the other one is a preamp output. If he connected his DAC to the output jacks then there's going to be no sound that sounds anything like the input signal (ie, if he hears anything, it'll be electronic noise), not just a funky volume control.

If you just mean he reversed L and R on the input, that kind of thing still shouldn't happen - the sound can get weird but not with a funky volume control. The amp doesn't really "know" what left or right "is,"  not in the way that it would cause the volume control to really go haywire rather than just give you a weird soundstage.

Apr 17, 2016 at 2:13 PM Post #5 of 8
Yes that's what first came in to my mind, if the LD's I/O connections were just somehow reversed (although it may seem unlikely). In other case, I agree with you that there might be some issue with the amp itself.

Apr 18, 2016 at 3:20 PM Post #7 of 8
I'm completely embarrassed here and would probably wish I could delete my original post, if not for the hope that maybe some schmuck like myself will make the same mistake and come looking for a solution...

The issue was that I had the ODAC plugged into the Pre-Amp Output, not the Input. I had unplugged it to do some moving of things and absent-mindedly plugged it into the wrong spot. (As a side note I'm surprised any audio came out of the headphones at all). 

Thank you all for the input! My apologies for such a n00b post! I can't believe I made that mistake. Anyways, it's resolved now when plugging the ODAC into the MKIII INPUTS. #facepalm.

Apr 18, 2016 at 3:29 PM Post #8 of 8
  Yes that's what first came in to my mind, if the LD's I/O connections were just somehow reversed (although it may seem unlikely). In other case, I agree with you that there might be some issue with the amp itself.

Looks like it does work like you thought.

Originally Posted by mAurelius /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  I'm completely embarrassed here and would probably wish I could delete my original post, if not for the hope that maybe some schmuck like myself will make the same mistake and come looking for a solution...

The issue was that I had the ODAC plugged into the Pre-Amp Output, not the Input. I had unplugged it to do some moving of things and absent-mindedly plugged it into the wrong spot. (As a side note I'm surprised any audio came out of the headphones at all). 

Thank you all for the input! My apologies for such a n00b post! I can't believe I made that mistake. Anyways, it's resolved now when plugging the ODAC into the MKIII INPUTS. #facepalm.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back