October 3rd Custom Electronics Midwest Head-Fi meet!
Sep 24, 2009 at 10:55 PM Post #181 of 227
Would anyone want to sell or trade some opamps at the meet? I'd love to get my hands on some LM4562NA or really any other opamp locally...

Sep 25, 2009 at 2:02 AM Post #182 of 227
I reserved a room a while back, looking forward to this meet. I have been to Custom Electronics plenty of times, and noticed they had some Crestron gear, hopefully they have some stuff set up in thier conference room. ( Crestron is automation gear, Its what I program for work. I like to see what other people do with it)

For the Grado fans, CE carries Magnepan speakers, which I feel have a similar sonic signature.

The only Opamps I have sitting around are OPA2227, and JRC4556. I am bringing an RA-1 clone I put together, if anyone want to listen to the JRC4556.

Sep 25, 2009 at 1:58 PM Post #183 of 227
^awesome, that sounds good!

By the way, I just received an email forwarded from Chris saying that ALO Audio won't be able to send anything out- with the opening of 32Ohm and other obligations, he won't have the time to send a prototype amp out. Sorry folks
frown.gif
But there's still gonna be plenty of awesome gear! I think that TTVJ's stuff is out on it's way right now.

Sep 25, 2009 at 3:08 PM Post #184 of 227
Quote:

Originally Posted by LingLing1337 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
^awesome, that sounds good!

By the way, I just received an email forwarded from Chris saying that ALO Audio won't be able to send anything out- with the opening of 32Ohm and other obligations, he won't have the time to send a prototype amp out. Sorry folks
frown.gif
But there's still gonna be plenty of awesome gear! I think that TTVJ's stuff is out on it's way right now.

I'm really hoping we have some kind of raffling. How much are we opting to charge? 5$?

Sep 26, 2009 at 12:34 AM Post #185 of 227
Whiplash is the one that's going to send out the raffle, and they're still onboard
smily_headphones1.gif

By the way, I was thinking of having everyone 'buy' a raffle ticket at $5 apiece (mandatory
smily_headphones1.gif
) and have all that money go to the shipping-everything-back-fund.

Sep 26, 2009 at 2:39 PM Post #187 of 227
Quote:

Whiplash is the one that's going to send out the raffle, and they're still onboard
smily_headphones1.gif

By the way, I was thinking of having everyone 'buy' a raffle ticket at $5 apiece (mandatory
smily_headphones1.gif
) and have all that money go to the shipping-everything-back-fund.

Sounds like a good idea. It sounds better if you just call it an entrance fee and everyone's name gets entered into the raffle who attends.

But, it's just semantics.

-Nylan

Sep 27, 2009 at 3:22 AM Post #189 of 227
Quote:

Originally Posted by matajuro /img/forum/go_quote.gif
In my day these events were free. Put together for the spirit of listening to high quality audio. Brought forth by audiophiles pilgrimage.

With all due respect, it's something most of us are okay with paying. If you're not, then don't come. There's some very expensive gear that's going to be there and we can't expect one person to accept the burden of the return shipping, as the people loaning the gear aren't going to be covering it. If you're not okay with helping out, then please don't come, as the only reason it's NOT free is because it's easier for us all to chip in 5 bucks than for one person to shell out 40$ to ship a bunch of equipment back.

In your day they may have been free, and in this day and age they still would be, but we all must be responsible with alleviating the pain of shipping costs. In the event that shipping costs are coverred by ttjv, then I'm sure we'll get our money back. We are not being charged for the venue, and in fact they are going to probably have some neat things there for us, including possibly some pre-release equipment and/or some raffle prizes of thier own.

We aren't charging, we're distributing a cost... because it's not free for somebody. There's no reason 1 person should pay for all of it when all of us can pay for some.

Nuff said.

Now, the reason I logged onto the forums in the first place: have we nailed down a timeframe for this? the girlfriend really wants to know and doesn't wanna be stuck there all day. I told here probably between 10-4 or so, but I wouldn't be surprised if we were there from open to close...

Sep 27, 2009 at 5:14 AM Post #190 of 227
I'm fairly certain I said ~4:00 it would start,and I didn't figure out an ending time. I don't suppose it would go much longer than ~8:00?

Sep 27, 2009 at 4:49 PM Post #191 of 227
Quote:

I'm fairly certain I said ~4:00 it would start,and I didn't figure out an ending time. I don't suppose it would go much longer than ~8:00?

So we're going to be going until later in the evening for this? I see. I was under the impression that we'd be there during business hours for them.

Sep 27, 2009 at 6:51 PM Post #194 of 227
Quote:

cough *sarcasm* cough.

Aren't people allowed to make jokes on forums any more?

I would leave it at that but as aynjell went on a rant I'm gonna have to rant back. Every one else may ignore.

As for spreading the cost You should look into reading the book Free: The Future of a Radical Price. By Chris Anderson
Just finished that book a few weeks a go. I thought it was a great read.

In it you would learn that the reason Custom Electronics is hosting this event. Is to get fanatics like our selves. To be so impressed with their customer service and knowledge. As to get us the 14 or so fanatics to tell every one we know. So as they will all shop at C.E. in the future. While you may think they are putting this on for free this is actually a marketing expense. We and the people we tell about C.E. will be paying them for their trouble by purchasing from their store in the future. Nothing is free but free is how you will make money in the future.

Also that is the point of companies donating things to a raffle as well. They give out free products, some one wins one of them. That person in turn rants and raves about how good it is to every one they know. There by generating more sales, the company makes back more money than they "donated".

Now when some one is loaning their personal gear to the event and they are not a company or trying to sell you some thing. Paying the shipping for them only makes sense. I'll pay the $5 or what ever the cost I don't care.

WHat does this have to do with us paying the return shipping for teh stuff ttvj is loaning us? That's what the charge is for. Seriously, if you're not going to read, why waste time typing? All tha typing and you only acknowledge it at the end. The point of the cost is to help distribute the cost of the return shipping. CE is putting it on for free. Nothign else is costing us money, it's just TTVJ isn't paying return shippng that we know of, and if for some reason tehy agree to pay return shipping I'd higly doubt we'd have to pay at all.

I don't want any bad blood between us though, just please don't complain about the cost of the shipping. They were nice enough to send us the equipment, and I know damned well it's a marketing incentive but I'm happy to test thier gear even if I have no intention of ever going vinyl. I just acknowledge the fact that lingling shouldn't be stuck with the entire cost of the shipping. This money will all be going to him so he can pay UPS.

Have you gotten a more serious quote for return shipping, lingling? Do we even know how much stuff he sent us?

Sep 27, 2009 at 7:04 PM Post #195 of 227
Quote:

In it you would learn that the reason Custom Electronics is hosting this event. Is to get fanatics like our selves. To be so impressed with their customer service and knowledge. As to get us the 14 or so fanatics to tell every one we know. So as they will all shop at C.E. in the future. While you may think they are putting this on for free this is actually a marketing expense. We and the people we tell about C.E. will be paying them for their trouble by purchasing from their store in the future. Nothing is free but free is how you will make money in the future.

During my talk with Larry, he made it clear to me that I wasn't doing him a service, but the other way around- that's his take on it. "This thing is gonna bring in loads of new customers" was one of my main points and he pretty much told me that they have all the customers that they need- something that kind of surprised me considering the kind of business I've observed both in and out of the store. I hope we can prove him wrong... It's awesome having a Grado dealer locally and the Head-Fi market seems like an untapped one for CE.

By the way, good point on the 4:00 start time conflicting with closing... I'll have to talk to Larry about that.

EDIT: In response to Aynjell, no, I still have no idea what TTVJ sent out- when talking to sponsors, this was my main frustration- not having a concrete list of gear being sent out. I have no idea as far as the return shipping cost
frown.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back