October 2007 UK Meet Impressions Thread
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 31, 2007 at 5:16 PM Post #136 of 244
I just bought a Squeezebox today from Amazon. £189 is a bit pricey for what is essentially just a wireless link between my laptop and amplifier but with FLAC files and sweet, sweet Linux support it's exactly what I need. Thanks to whoever brought theirs along to the meet, it was a really nice piece of kit.

Oct 31, 2007 at 5:24 PM Post #137 of 244
Quote:

Originally Posted by Progenitor /img/forum/go_quote.gif
About the RS-1 and RS-2 head to head: I would love to! Senny-ftw also live very near to me, so we can have a 3 person comparsion!

I would suggest not coming this weekend however - I may have a nice treat if you come after this week
wink.gif

Hmm, if this happens within a train ride of Brighton i might be up for some of that, my Mapletree is wired with 2 low impedance outputs, so it can drive 2 pairs of Grados simultaneously
rs1smile.gif

Oct 31, 2007 at 5:53 PM Post #138 of 244
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bizzel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just bought a Squeezebox today from Amazon. £189 is a bit pricey for what is essentially just a wireless link between my laptop and amplifier but with FLAC files and sweet, sweet Linux support it's exactly what I need. Thanks to whoever brought theirs along to the meet, it was a really nice piece of kit.

Congrats! Can you use multiple Sqeezeboxes simultaneously outputting different audio?

Oct 31, 2007 at 6:32 PM Post #139 of 244
There was talk of people mailing different equipment around so people could try...

Any thoughts?

J

Oct 31, 2007 at 6:53 PM Post #140 of 244
Quote:

Originally Posted by Duggeh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I didn't run the K340 from the best of amps, far from it, not were the pads in superb condition, nor the elastics. They had potential in them that much a I recognised, I just simply wasn't prepared to spend the money or make the effort for them.

I have had the same problem since I got it with the Ergo AMT. It has just hated in some way every amp I've thrown at it, although the Quad 34 pre-amp allowed me the best ability to EQ it I've ever tried. The ARIA amp mated with the K1000 much better than it has with the AMT at the meet, but the K1000 is much higher impedance and lower sensitivity by a long long way.

The woes of picky headphones...
plainface.gif

My current prima donna is the Chocolate Donut MkI's. I need to really spend some time with them and see what makes them sing, since swt61 is so enamored with his pair and I trust his ears.

Oct 31, 2007 at 6:56 PM Post #141 of 244
Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnerH /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There was talk of people mailing different equipment around so people could try...

Any thoughts?

J

I'm not so hot on mailing things around and I'm not saying that in a selfish "I don't want to share my precious gear" kind of way. I trust all of you enough to send you gear to try, it's just that I don't trust the post not to 'lose' it. If we were to use an insured courier though, sure I'd be interested. It is a good idea.
biggrin.gif

Oct 31, 2007 at 7:00 PM Post #142 of 244
Quote:

Originally Posted by milkpowder /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Congrats! Can you use multiple Sqeezeboxes simultaneously outputting different audio?

As far as I know, you can output audio to multiple Squeezeboxes (squeezeboxen?), but it'll always be the same stream for all players due to limitations on the PC end with the slimserver software. It's a very solid app by the way, I downloaded it to test before the 'box arrives and I'm adding my music now. It's got a nice web interface and it's picking up my music and reading the tags nicely. You can also control the squeezebox from the web interface as opposed to using the remote if you wish - good for multi-room systems.

Oct 31, 2007 at 11:05 PM Post #144 of 244
Quote:

I'm not so hot on mailing things around and I'm not saying that in a selfish "I don't want to share my precious gear" kind of way. I trust all of you enough to send you gear to try, it's just that I don't trust the post not to 'lose' it. If we were to use an insured courier though, sure I'd be interested. It is a good idea.
biggrin.gif

Well if people are up for it, easiest thing to do is setup an account with a good courier and everyone can chip on a montly basis.

Thinking of it as a "subscription" for live equipment.

I can only guess it easy to manage, joint paypal acc -> Courier...

Thoughts?

J

Oct 31, 2007 at 11:54 PM Post #145 of 244
Quote:

biggrin.gif

If you are after anything in particular let me know I have quite the collection of gear now!

Stevenage Division of Head-Fi

Nov 1, 2007 at 12:09 AM Post #146 of 244
Quote:

Originally Posted by StevieDvd /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you are after anything in particular let me know I have quite the collection of gear now!

Stevenage Division of Head-Fi

Well...I do have a query. Do you have a preference between the DAC1 and the DA100? How much did you pay for each? I'm looking to upgrade my rig with a dac for around £500-£750.

Nov 1, 2007 at 12:23 AM Post #147 of 244
Don't forget the Apogee Mini-DAC. Lots of impressions I've read have favoured the Mini-DAC over the DAC1. Also in this price bracket is the DA10, which a lot of people also prefer over the DAC1 because of its more "organic", "vinyl-like", "musical" sound.

Nov 1, 2007 at 12:32 AM Post #148 of 244
The Stello was (probably still is) $780 and a further £70 customs fees etc if I recall correctly. The Dac1 I got from German audio shop for about £660 delivered.

I'd have to say I prefer the DAC1 mainly because it's balanced output and it's smaller footprint and neater appearance. It was also my first intro to going balanced.

I saw your SB3 purchase - got one of those a few months back and added a QNAP NAS as well. They're great when set-up correctly and I find I'm not loading the CD player up as much as I used to.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back