October 2007 UK Meet Impressions Thread
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 29, 2007 at 9:49 PM Post #91 of 244
The very concept for a "throw around pair" of R10 is amazing in my mind! Fing, you are a very very lucky man
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 29, 2007 at 9:51 PM Post #92 of 244
Quote:

Originally Posted by milkpowder /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I didn't get a chance to hear the theremin! I'm sure Duggeh can give me a private showing in the near future
tongue.gif

I'll be putting it up for sale this week, alongside the Electrostatic floats and possibly my dynamic Quads. electrostatic speakers don't come cheap you know.
lambda.gif

Oct 29, 2007 at 10:20 PM Post #94 of 244
Cables can make of break a system and I've found nothing better then my own crazy DIY's and that included the Valhalla and Kimber KS1130. The Indra was on par but I wouldn't pay that much for an IC.

The Quad player should be nice and it would be even better if modded a bit. Having a digital input doesn't fit the Meridian way with the G08 feeding their DSP speakers.

I hope you are going to buy a properly rebuilt set of Quads, Doug, as they all have a finite lifespan. The 57's all have various issues but the 63 is far worse with the stators falling apart and a serious need for some bracing.

Oct 29, 2007 at 10:30 PM Post #95 of 244
Quote:

Originally Posted by MarkyMark /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi all,

Well, what a great meet! It exceeded my expectations in all areas. Much respect to Mr Joshua for organizing such a successful event.

It was a fantastic meet. Thanks for bringing down the DAC-1 and the recabled k701s. I'm not sure the meet was the best place to audition equipment but it was nice to compare it with my stock pair. I saw you comparing the two at the end of the meet through my setup. Can you let me know your impressions please..
icon10.gif
I'm interested to know what conclusions you came to with the comparisons between your DAC1's headphone out and my Stello>GS-1, and also the stock vs recabled k701.

I really enjoyed watching all the silly grins as people tried on headphones. Can we have another meet really soon?

Oct 29, 2007 at 10:38 PM Post #96 of 244
Quote:

Originally Posted by piotr z /img/forum/go_quote.gif
yes spitzer You are right - cables do make a difference - and I would say that sometimes it is more resonable to spend money on IC than on source upgrade - just because all the cables are so different sounding and come much cheaper than sources ( decent ones ) - few weeks back I've auditioned abbey road ref. rca IC and can say that this IC with my cd player would put to shame meridian with any cheap IC

See i agree and disagree about the effects of cables after a certain point. The new IC i made and brought to the meet cost me a total of 20 pounds and uses 99.99% silver 0.5mm diameter signal and ground wire in a helical configuration in teflon tubing, then surround with a cotton sheething and finished off with silver solder and silver plated plugs. The is cable sounds better than my mark grant IC and im pretty sure that anyone would be hard pressed to tell ANY difference between most the IC's at the meet.

And please don't get me started on powercords, it is really a load of rubbish. What the hell is the last metre of cable going to do to the sound when the electricity has come from the substation many miles wire, and come though standard building cable which probably has a number of junctions also. What i would like to try is a power conditioner and compare a dedicated mains wiring line in a house for the hi-fi.

Il post up impressions of the meet tomorrow if i can. the g08, slee, and electrostats seem to be the stars of the show, i wish more people had listened to my DIY cd player and amp and compared them to other products but as they may not look as stunning as a meridian play or singlepower or have any real interest apart from us DIY freaks then i understand why. But honestly my setup don't sound a million miles away for 1/10th of the cost when compared to some of the setups. This was most apparent when i compared my hf-1s on my setup and vs the meridian + extreme. Granted the more expensive combination was noticably better, but for 450 pounds the DIY setup had a similar sound signature and the the differences in quality were not MASSIVE. I probably spent about an hour in total comparing the 2 too.

po.ps excuse my writing, my saitek keyboard is nearly dead, both shifts only work with various keys, and some capitals just won't work anymore.

Oct 29, 2007 at 10:45 PM Post #97 of 244
I think the layout for future meets should be one big table with people sat around it for easier comparisons of gear.

There needs to be a Duggeh room as well,.

Oct 29, 2007 at 10:46 PM Post #98 of 244
Quote:

Originally Posted by jules650 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think the layout for future meets should be one big table with people sat around it for easier comparisons of gear.

There needs to be a Duggeh room as well,.

O i totally agree, so A-B impressions are an awful lot easier to attempt.

Im sorry i didn't get my silver wired + solid silver RCA'd input/output box finished, as with 3 ins+outs it would have made comparisons a lot easier without teh need to move equipment around as much.

Oct 29, 2007 at 10:52 PM Post #99 of 244
adfinni;3396550 said:
im pretty sure that anyone would be hard pressed to tell ANY difference between most the IC's at the meet.

wasn't that You that told me that You liked one of setups more with MIT than with heimdall - coz heimdal was making setup sound like there was no mids and Mit was making setup sound balanced ????
biggrin.gif

Oct 29, 2007 at 11:09 PM Post #100 of 244
piotr z;3396590 said:
Quote:

Originally Posted by adfinni /img/forum/go_quote.gif
im pretty sure that anyone would be hard pressed to tell ANY difference between most the IC's at the meet.

wasn't that You that told me that You liked one of setups more with MIT than with heimdall - coz heimdal was making setup sound like there was no mids and Mit was making setup sound balanced ????
biggrin.gif

Nah it wasn't me i only tried out the hd-650's your AT's and my HF-1s out in your setup. I have to say id love to read up on those MIT cables and the boxes attached. Do they change the impedance, reduce rf, or double up as a portable music player
wink.gif

O and there were a few very nice IC's there, but a lot of cheaper QED's and mark grants too. Piotr was the IC with the silver bullets yours, as id love to know what the wire actually was. It had the same physical characteristics as the metal used in a 'slinky' toy. I didn't get to hear it or the nordost, and wish i did compare them to my DIY cable.

Oct 29, 2007 at 11:11 PM Post #101 of 244
Quote:

Originally Posted by Progenitor /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The very concept for a "throw around pair" of R10 is amazing in my mind! Fing, you are a very very lucky man
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks
wink.gif
. More money than sense really.

I'm planning on re-cabling them to balanced cables for a SinglePower Supra XLR that will get sent, just as soon as Mikhail tunes a pair of the inputs with a couple of transformers to convert a single-ended source into balanced signal.

Prior to the meet, I'd already prised one of the drivers part-way out of the wooden earcup housing to see how difficult they'd be to recable:

_DSC00080001.jpg

It's virtually a pressure fit, so I just popped it back in for the meet.

If they were my only pair, yes, I'd definitely not be so cavalier with them. They'd have been off to Mikhail or Alex for a professional recable rather than my diy attempt.

I'm actually thinking of changing the current drivers with a pair I managed to obtain from Audiocubes2.

I will do so if replacement of the foam rings and re-cabling to balanced doesn't cause it to pull ahead of my single-ended pair.

Oct 29, 2007 at 11:15 PM Post #102 of 244
WOW, now that is hardcore. You jsut casually prised apart your 3k R10's
icon10.gif

Oct 29, 2007 at 11:16 PM Post #103 of 244
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fing /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If they were my only pair, yes, I'd definitely not be so cavalier with them. They'd have been off to Mikhail or Alex for a professional recable rather than my diy attempt.

I'm actually thinking of changing the current drivers with a pair I managed to obtain from Audiocubes2.

I will do so if replacement of the foam rings and re-cabling to balanced doesn't cause it to pull ahead of my single-ended pair.

Sounds like soon you will have a pair of extremely beautiful sounding R10!

How much listening time do the R10 gets compared to the K1000?

Oct 29, 2007 at 11:33 PM Post #104 of 244
Quote:

Originally Posted by Progenitor /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sounds like soon you will have a pair of extremely beautiful sounding R10!

How much listening time do the R10 gets compared to the K1000?

My R10 headphones get all my listening time, since my 300B amp is currently in the lounge as it's impractical to have them on my desk, where I listen to all my music.

Prior to the R10, I listened to the K1000 all the time and damn the impracticality:

_DSC0019.jpg

Oct 29, 2007 at 11:47 PM Post #105 of 244
To be honest, I haven't done too much of a comparison between the two headphones. I feel that preference either way would go towards the way you like music to be presented.

For my listening habits, my preference is towards the R10 mostly because I can enjoy music better with them at a low volume. I get listening fatigue from loud volume very easily unfortunately.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back