Occlusion Effect and Custom IEM's
Aug 19, 2008 at 7:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

musicman88

New Head-Fier
I'm a vocalist and use my UE customs as monitors when i record, however the occlusion effect really bothers me while singing (sounds like you have finger jammed in your ear while singing). Any idea's on how to reduce this? Is this a fit thing or do all customs do this. If so I don't know how professional vocalists can stand this.
THanks

Aug 19, 2008 at 8:29 PM Post #2 of 4
I have read somewhere that occlusion is caused because there is too long a distance from where the sound is emitted to the eardrum (with IEMs I think you can regard the emission center as being where the sound exits its sound tube).

So maybe it is because your earphones have a short stem thereby creating a larger than average void between eardrum and earphone stem. I am no pro if I were you I would contact Ultimate Ears they probably have an audiologist or in-ear tech rep that can explain it and tell you what to do.

I hope you find a solution to your problem!

Best,
Frederik

Aug 20, 2008 at 4:52 AM Post #3 of 4
Occlusion effect will happen because the earmold is too short. It needs to be deep enough to pass up the bony structure of the earcanal. The low frequencies of your voice are transmitted right into your sealed earcanal via the your skull. If the earmold passes up the bony part and extends deep enough it will prevent this transmission.

If you put your little finger into your ear you can feel the thin skin surrounding the bone at the outer section of the earcanal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back