May 21, 2007 at 8:13 PM Post #31 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by phergus_25 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This is the first time Iv seen a thread saying the K1000 has excessive bass
blink.gif

Whoops - definately not the case. I edited my post. Meant GS
redface.gif

May 21, 2007 at 8:15 PM Post #32 of 38
if you dont need a closed phone i concur with those who've suggested the grado ps1 is fantastic, but even if you don't need a closed phone the edition 9's will allow you to hear more of what is there.

you will hear EVERYTHING with the ed 9's - not that there is much you will miss under ps1's with a good source and amp.

the presentation of the ps1 is more integrated into a relative wall of sound compared to the ed 9's, which excell at placing each sound into it's own space like no other can i've heard. amazing imaging.

its as if the ps1's are more like a killer huge old pair of original jbl's and the ed 9's are more like a kef 105.2 or a fine b&w. the ps1's are extremely engaging and the ed 9's are extremely refined (though the reverse is also true to a large extent).

the bass differences are well described in this thread. but what i can hear with the ed 9 that i can not hear with the ps1 is a bass string continuing to reverberate (when it is allowed to) and the variance in tone as it plays out. this is the only headphone i can hear that with consistently.

both of these are great headphones, and both are great for rock (and other things). the ed 9's are the best i've ever heard for electronica and the reproduction of effects. this of course comes into play in many moments in many rock recordings that are not electronica per se.

if money is no object get both. i'm not kidding at all. they are extremely different in their sound signatures. when listening critically i find that using both provides me with a very complete experience. sometimes one or the other will subjectively provide the most enjoyable window into the recording, but there are many times when each view is equally informative and enjoyable.

the ps1's may well reflect a sound sig that is more like what most listeners are going to hear overall when they play what you've recorded over their speakers or headphones. (there ain't much out there that images even a little like the ed9's and most folks dont have super refined killa speakers). but the edition 9's will display all the elements more clearly than any headphones i've ever heard (no i do not have experience with the r10) and i believe will much more closely reflect what a pair of very refined speakers will get out of your recordings when they are being played on such.

if i could only have one and it was for critical listening (such as mixing) i would choose the edition 9's. if i could only have one and the choice was purely based on the pleasure principal the PS1's would be the ones, but it would be a tough decision because of the additional sounds to be heard from the ed 9's.

i will not sell you my ps1's though...

May 21, 2007 at 10:45 PM Post #34 of 38
TakeT H2 combined with the TR-2 will give you bass that will quite literally shake your earlobes. But at $2300 for the pair before shipping and taxes it isnt cheap. But then nor is a PS-1 in todays market.

May 22, 2007 at 6:32 PM Post #35 of 38
Fantastic impressions analog'd. I've been waiting for someone to provide these comparing the PS-1 and UE9.

I was dead set on ignoring the UE9, but now I really want to hear them myself. May just have to place that order.

May 22, 2007 at 7:46 PM Post #36 of 38
if adding bass is the main goal, you can use a pair of bass-heavy phones as resonators, in parallel with the 600. it will guarrantee to add bass. You might or might not lose much treble/mids (depends on the resonator phone's treble response).

Do this experiment: get a stereo spliter and a pair of bass-pipes (such as DT770, needs to be the 250 ohm version), plug both the Senn 600 and 770 into the spliter and plug the spliter into a good amp. You should get quite a bit more bass out of the 600 this way. The rationale is when the 770's voice coil moves it will also produce a self-induced voltage and this feedback voltage will add whatever sound charactoristic of 770 into the 600 since the 600 is in parallel with the 770. It is like you will "hear the 770 in the 600". This method might make the music a little messy (depends on how good the resonator phone is) or you might lose some little details, but it is worth a try, you don't lose anything. All you have to do is borrow a pair of 770/250 and a stereo spliter then take a listen.

May 22, 2007 at 7:49 PM Post #37 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by F1GTR /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Fantastic impressions analog'd. I've been waiting for someone to provide these comparing the PS-1 and UE9.

I was dead set on ignoring the UE9, but now I really want to hear them myself. May just have to place that order.

thanks. thats great that they were useful to you.

it's also great that you posted. i'd been working really hard at trying to describe this a bit in a few posts, and it aint easy(pinups version!) for me to do it but a number of peeps had asked, so...i keep tryin...

but then i've been gettin like ZERo zip nada NO feedback when i post but when almost noone responds i start to figure i must really be puttin
everybody off somehow and this sucks and ****** head-fi!

And that is how i was feeling after getting next to nothing in reaction to that post, and i even reposted it in the uber ultrasone thread.

so i was walkin round feelin sorry for myself thinkin "i'm gonna eat some worms" but now i'm gonna eat ice cream.

can you tell i'm bored with what i'm doin at work right now?
evil_smiley.gif

seriously, thanks...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back