Obsure recordings unique amongst Head-fiers?
Feb 1, 2005 at 5:00 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

JohnFerrier

1000+ Head-Fier
Care to share an interesting title, or two, not found amongst Head-fiers? (Noble efforts are just fine, if someone else happens to have it...
wink.gif
)

-

I probably have one or two, but currently have on order the following from IRCAM (France's Institut de Recherche et Coordination Acoustique/Musique).

Gérard Grisey : Le Noir de l'étoile (Black of Star) for 6 percussionists, tape, and in situ retransmission of astronomic signals.

"In Le Noir de l’Etoile, Grisey includes pulsations emitted live from pulsars, as if to justify the rhythms of the percussions."

Unfortunately, samples at Amazon.Fr didn't work for me. (I ordered directly from IRCAM, before finding out how bad the exchange rate currrently is....ouch...)

B0002HN152.08.MZZZZZZZ.jpg

If someone happens to already have this CD, peep up : ).

Feb 1, 2005 at 5:04 AM Post #2 of 21
I'm fairly sure not many other people outside of Japan have copies of Yen Town Band's 'Montage'. But knowing the other Nipponophiles on this forum, maybe one of them does.
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 1, 2005 at 12:31 PM Post #3 of 21
Interesting question

Gavin Bryars-Jesus' Blood Never Failed Me Yet
1. Tramp With Orchestra I (String Quartet) - Hampton String Quartet
2. Tramp With Orchestra II (Low Strings)
3. Tramp With Orchestra III (No Strings)
4. Tramp With Orchestra IV (Full Strings)
5. Tramp and Tom Waits With Full Orchestra - Orchestra
6. Coda: Tom Waits With High Strings

A homeless old man singing on repeat.
Purchased exclusively for the Tom Waits connection.
Not recommended.
tongue.gif

Feb 1, 2005 at 3:21 PM Post #4 of 21
Hm, obscure recordings, huh? I'll bite. I go to a college that probably has one of the lowest student to a capella group ratios in the country. There are some great musicians that come from here, among them:

Penn Masala - these Indian guys (and yes, they are all guys) put out an interesting fusion of Bollywood and American pop. They have four albums out, with another one forthcoming in the next weeks. Recommended songs include "Chamak Challo" (which made the MTV Asia charts), "Aap Jaise Koi", and "Yeh Kaali Kaali Ankhen" (sorry if my spelling is atrocious).

PennYo gives Chinese pop music an a capella spin, and it sounds great! Maybe I'm a little biased, being their sound manager and all, but still...go check them out.

Feb 1, 2005 at 4:37 PM Post #5 of 21
Do copies of Crystal Method - Vegas and Crystal Method - Legion of Boom autographed by Ken Jordan count?
tongue.gif

I wish I had a rare/limited-edition CD....

Feb 1, 2005 at 5:01 PM Post #6 of 21
I have this very rare CD by a band called "Pink Floyd". It's called "Dark Side of the Moon". Great album, though it's tough to get. If you ever see it, I HIGHLY recommend you pick it up. It's just too bad the band never really had any commercial success...

plus_c, come on, man, everyone knows the best a capella act in Philly is Penn Six5000. That guy who did "Like a Prayer" was awesome. Seriously, though, the best a capella I've heard was a group at Cornell that I heard on the radio there. They did "White Room" by Cream, complete with guitar solos and everything. Truly awesome. I find that kind of stuff way more interesting than the typical college groups doing the Goo Goo Dolls and Counting Crows. Oh, and you're right, Penn Masala is quite good.

Feb 1, 2005 at 5:08 PM Post #7 of 21
I have some vinyl recordings that have never made it to cd, including the Missa Luba, a Catholic mass recorded in the then Belgian Congo. I also have some vinyl recordings of South American music called "La Flute Indienne." I haven't seen them on cd either. Also a terrific recording of the Mozart Divertimento K563 by the Trio Pasquier, and an early recording of Pachelbel's Canon on the (college excess ofcourse!) on Erato's Fiori Musicali label. It includes some Vivaldi and Telemann, gluck and Mozart, performed by the Orchestre de Chambre Pro Arte De Munich under Kurt Redel's direction.

I also have the original recordings of the Pennywhistlers and Tim Hardin. The Pennywhistlers are definitely obscure. The only reason I ever heard of them is because the secretary of my highschool was one of the singers.

Feb 1, 2005 at 6:03 PM Post #8 of 21
i have a super-exclusive cassette tape of my high school band's only studio session. i bet fewer than a dozen people own it.

Feb 1, 2005 at 8:04 PM Post #9 of 21
lol. I have the cd of my senior concert... I think that only 50 people or so have that... and I doubt anyone listens to it accept maybe my fiancee.

Seriously, hmmm, lets see here what to pick:

Well I don't have a title but I do have a CD-R of Russian pop music cryptically titled "Russian Music from Drew" that someone gave me at some point.

Feb 1, 2005 at 8:23 PM Post #10 of 21
I have a copy of the Black Crowes' unreleased album "The Band" (also called the Nashville Sessions). I've had it for about 4 months now but I haven't gotten around to listening to it from start to finish. I also have the one album nobody would dare admit to having: William Hung's "Inspiration". I know, I know... it's entertaining in a very sad way.

Feb 1, 2005 at 8:28 PM Post #11 of 21
School recordings aren't exactly what I had in mind...(reminded me of the "album" we did in second grade...darn, now I have to forget that again...). Anyway, I really liked reading about the other choices. I thought I came up with a good one, the others are better. Amazing the variety of recordings transending time and space.

Feb 1, 2005 at 8:40 PM Post #12 of 21
I found some rare Hendrix bootlegs taken from recordings in 69 + 70, most of the tracks were work-in-progress versions of songs from First Rays. But that was on bit torrent so I guess quite a few people have them. *sigh

Feb 1, 2005 at 8:48 PM Post #14 of 21
withdrawn, never released beck album "golden feelings"

not many made, and even fewer people who own them, i have never met one..

it was released by sonic records without beck's permission so they had to withdraw it after making 2000 copies. it is a re release of a 1993 vinyl also released by sonic, but i dont know of anyone whos got one of those either.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back