Obsessive thoughts?
Dec 16, 2003 at 8:11 PM Post #16 of 29
I would say the the issue is most likely in the fewtch direction. Obsessesive compulsive disorder is more a personality trait then an acquired illness, similar to being prone to depression. Some people are just more that way then others.

I would advise against drugs however, the problem with them is that they are an easy fix, and human nature always gravitates toward the easy fix. So once you start the drugs, it gets harder and harder to choose other, more natural, ways of alleviating the stress.(obsession, whatever) Personally, I don't care for the idea of becoming dependent on a foreign substance just to be "normal." Thats just me though. Plus with ADHD, OCD,(I like to switch it up), allergies and migraines, I could live my life hooked on meds.

I think the best way to handle things like this is to channel it. Find a hobby that involves more activity then mass spending. I fused my earlier exercise advise with chadbangs' and started drumming a couple years ago. It goes great with my audiophile habit because whenever I get obsessive I try and channel from buying music to making music, its alot cheaper.

Dec 16, 2003 at 8:22 PM Post #17 of 29
Rest assured raif, drugs REALLY will be the last resort. I am a little overweight, and unfit, and so I am going to maybe try and start getting a bit fitter, and take it from there. I dont want to take drugs unless there really is no option...

Dec 16, 2003 at 9:20 PM Post #18 of 29
paul, the best thing you can do for yourself is to realize that you are not alone, there are others with similar problems, and the next step is get some help, sooner rather than later. and don't knock the meds until you see a doctor you're comfortable with, they may be of help to you in the long run. try to stay off benzodiazepenes and narcotics, drugs like effexor or paxil which are non-addictive may be the type of medication that will help you. but you must see a doctor and be totally honest and up front and lay everything on the table, even if it embarrases you, doctors have seen and heard it all, and like i said, you are not alone.

Dec 16, 2003 at 10:42 PM Post #19 of 29
Only when I think about strangling my boss...
tongue.gif

Dec 16, 2003 at 11:29 PM Post #21 of 29
pbirkett,

I understand wanting medication therapy to be the last resort. But, sometimes it's one of the first options a doctor will recommend because it has the quickest result. When you see the doctor, ask about all the options. If meds are prescribed, ask about the side effects and contraindications. I can tell by your using the word DRUGS that you really don't want this option, but there have been great results with Paxil, Zoloft, etc. Whatever the doctor orders, ask if their is a med with less side effects that will be as effective. And lastly, take exactly as prescribed. Most of these type of medicines(quicker to type drugs) are accumulative. Meaning it takes a few days for the full effect, and it takes a few days when you stop to be clear of them also.

See your family doc and tell him everything. And good luck

Dec 16, 2003 at 11:55 PM Post #22 of 29
It's unfortuante that there is an element of shame in taking medications for psychological conditions, given the potential benefits for people suffering. These conditions aren't "all in your head", but a result of specific imbalances in critical brain chemicals. This is why when people's brains "break down" or have "engine trouble", they tend to "break" in the exact same way. This is why specific conditions can be identified and symptoms of each are so consistent from person to person. Knowing the cause of your problem and talking about it can certainly be helpful, but when the manifestation of one's problem is chemical or biological in nature, chemical means of correction are required. You can get a diagnosis of the flu, and talk all day long to your physician about your symptoms, but it takes meds to get better.

When our livers are sick, we take meds. When our hearts are sick, we take meds. When our brains are sick, there should be no stigma for taking the appropriate meds for your condition, it's just another bodily organ. I understand that people are afraid of these meds, that they will no longer be themselves, but I've seen them work wonders close up with people I love.

Obviously, there are side-effects, and they're not for a simple case of the "blues". For people with recurrent, long-term debilitating conditions, they can be a Godsend.

Mark

Dec 17, 2003 at 12:21 AM Post #23 of 29
Yeah...I'm going through it right now myself...with pens.
eek.gif
tongue.gif

Dec 17, 2003 at 12:38 AM Post #24 of 29
Markl is right on target. Flip- The SSRI's often take 1,2 months or more to reach full effect. No immediate effect (except for side effects or placebo effects) will usually be noticed until at least a week or two.
I personally do not believe that talking to a psychotherapist for two weeks or five years is going to do much to correct a long-standing pattern of OCD and/or depression.

Dec 17, 2003 at 1:08 AM Post #25 of 29
I also agree with markl's comments. However, I think the issue here is not that severe. When I suggested against meds, I meant merely to think about his situation more seriously before turning to pills, which unfortunatly many americans do not do much nowadays.

Dec 17, 2003 at 2:15 AM Post #26 of 29
I'm all for meds if that's what it takes. Sorry if my post sounded against it. I was actually trying a "soft-touch" approach to med therapy.
redface.gif
My mother in law had OCD to the extent she constantly scrubbed the skin from her hands. Literally, mangled, bloody mess. She also counted anything and everything and if you interrupted her, she HAD to start over. It was a bitch going to a restaraunt with the glass of toothpicks on the counter. And that sounds like a joke, but it's true and sad. Drove her crazy. She's on Paxil and is definitely controlled.

Dec 17, 2003 at 9:41 AM Post #29 of 29
Quote:

Originally posted by raif
I also agree with markl's comments. However, I think the issue here is not that severe. When I suggested against meds, I meant merely to think about his situation more seriously before turning to pills, which unfortunatly many americans do not do much nowadays.

however, some people respond very well to meds, and it is the best option for them.
some people just have certain chemicals missing in thier brain, and things like SSRIs help to level them out.

It took me five yers to decide to seek help fot my depression (after a particulalrly bad "episode") i saw a very nice understanding doctor, who i saw a few times, and then she aske me if i wanted to try some mild medication.
i've now been on celexa for about 2 months, and it is deffinately helping.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back