Obscure bands
Apr 30, 2007 at 6:09 PM Post #16 of 72
It seems that most of the bands mentioned are those that are local and/or had a gig in your area. How do you guys find out about the 'more obscure' bands, especially those that aren't local?

Apr 30, 2007 at 6:57 PM Post #17 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by nin3th /img/forum/go_quote.gif
...and You Will Know Us By the Trail Of Dead
Minus the bear

I would not consider these guys obscure in the slightest.

I don't have any one place where I find out about weird bands... I guess just talking to people who know more than me and clicking through random band influences/similar artists on allmusic.com until I find something that sounds interesting. Also, just keeping tack of certain smaller labels and the types of bands that are on them.

Apr 30, 2007 at 7:02 PM Post #18 of 72
I came in here expecting not to know a single one of the bands listed...

And I'm right
frown.gif

The most obscure stuff I listen to is probably my electronica, which is usually just stuff I find online, like John Stanford, Diffraction, Crunch, etc. The most obscure "real" band I listen to might be The Album Leaf, but I'm not sure how obscure they are.

Apr 30, 2007 at 7:42 PM Post #21 of 72
I wouldn't count SSLYBY as obscure. They got a lot of attention from the indie music press. I owned their CD briefly before sending it to another Lala user, and I'm pretty far from San Diego.

With indie stuff getting so popular, local bands are probably the only obscure ones any more. Here are some that might count:

Templar - Canadian 90s punk pop band that sort of disappeared off the face of the Earth.
The Low Life - Local DC band that put out one kickass album and then broke up.
Life In Bed - Local Pittsburgh band.
Rock 'N' Roll Soldiers - Toured with Kasabian and then got dropped by their label. If you want their latest CD, you have to PayPal them and they'll send it to you in a brown padded envelope.

Apr 30, 2007 at 7:46 PM Post #22 of 72
As one of their few loyal American fans, I was a bit miffed when the hopped-up lead singer of the Fun Lovin' Criminals berated me from the stage and had the bouncers chuck me out of a show in Budapest a couple of years ago. I mean, I have all their albums on MiniDisc -- did I deserve that? I have no idea what was going on in that dude's head, but I still like their music.

I was also a big fan of no-name bands like The Refreshments and the Toadies in the nineties. About as obscure as I can get these days is Peter Bjorn and John or British Sea Power, but those bands get plenty of love.

Apr 30, 2007 at 8:29 PM Post #23 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by kerelybonto /img/forum/go_quote.gif
As one of their few loyal American fans, I was a bit miffed when the hopped-up lead singer of the Fun Lovin' Criminals berated me from the stage and had the bouncers chuck me out of a show in Budapest a couple of years ago. I mean, I have all their albums on MiniDisc -- did I deserve that? I have no idea what was going on in that dude's head, but I still like their music.

Well, what exactly were you doing?

May 1, 2007 at 1:50 AM Post #24 of 72
It's difficult to find a truly "obscure" band nowadays, because if they have any audience at all, they are usually plastered all over the internet just like any other indie-produced or "out" musical group. As such, our musical network is growing strong, and more people are learning of more and more obscure acts. Therefore, musical groups usually stay "obscure" for a very short period of time.

May 1, 2007 at 4:22 AM Post #25 of 72
yea hard to get "real" indie bands

but heres a band that my school's undergound music club (who books small bands on campus) and I love

www.myspace.com/karmellasgame

they're just so fun!

May 1, 2007 at 4:23 AM Post #26 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by Coltrane /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Maybe not that obscure, but Margot and the Nuclear So and So's is one of the best bands on the planet.

http://www.myspace.com/margotandthenuclearsoandsos

I have a thread devoted to them somewhere on here.

yes they are awesome, just awesome

is your avatar an AD reference?

May 1, 2007 at 6:58 AM Post #27 of 72
What Aman said is true, which is why I'm finding it particularly difficult to narrow down any artists in my library into the category of "obscure." I guess the easiest way I'll be able to get close to anything truly obscure would be by naming off some lesser-known bands that are part of fairly obscure genres to begin with... here goes!

NeoFolk/Apocalyptic Folk:

Backworld - Unlike other bands in this genre (and despite being on David Tibet's label) Backworld are not your typical post-Industrial, traditional European Folk inspired group. Rather, their music is very relaxed and laid back, peaceful melody laden acoustic driven forays that only dabbles into the common themes found in the genre. Very, very beautiful music; often hauntingly so. Recommended tracks: Devil's Plaything, Leaves of Autumn, The Sparrows.

Gae Bolg and the Church of Fand - Interesting martial music that ranges in sound from lively marches to neoclassical to Industrial to jigs (and even a "techno remix" of one of these jigs!). I don't know much about this band except one of the members is also involved with Sol Invictus, but there's really not that much information about them out there...

Nový Svêt - Another band I don't know that much about. Lots of different styles come into play, even across the tracks on the single album of theirs I have.

(Wow, I'm pretty bad at describing these bands... maybe I should just stick to name-dropping...)

Lothlorien
Oraison
XIII - Only song I've heard by them is a cover of "Black Easter" found on a Sol Invictus tribute album. It is unbelievably good.

No Wave:

Dark Day
- Former member of DNA R. L. Crutchfield's project. Has a similar vibe to DNA but is not as atonal or noisy. Emphasis is on synthesized and unusual instruments.

Noise (hard to describe any of them in words, if you're familiar with noise you already know that most artists try to explore the most extreme reaches of sonic territory, you must hear it for yourself):

C.C.C.C.
Dead Raven Choir
Wold
Concrete Violin

Other:

Space Machine - A side-project of Yamazaki Maso (aka: Masonna). Imagine floating around in space and being able to hear meandering signals and waves of unknown origin as they come and go, meandering through the infinite void.

Christine 23 Onna - Another side-project of Yamazaki Maso, except this time he's teamed up with the guitarist from Angel'in Heavy Syrup. The result is a psychedelic trip similar to a stripped-down version of Acid Mothers Temple with an emphasis on groovy guitar riffs and spacey electronic noodling.

Moonn D))) - A Sunn O))) cover band... imagine that!

Napoli Is Not Nepal - Mostly relaxing, albeit somewhat glitchy, ambient electronic music.

The Kallikak Family - I've tried describing this band before and failed, so I won't try again. A lot of electronic sampling and stuff going on, as well as cool guitar phases and such, all with a very depressing vibe to it. Some of the most singularly unique music I've ever heard.

Ok, sorry for making such an unorganized post. I forgot everything I was going to say when I actually tried to write it.

May 1, 2007 at 7:32 AM Post #28 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by kerelybonto /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I was also a big fan of no-name bands like The Refreshments and the Toadies in the nineties.

If you liked 'The Refreshments' you should check out Roger Clyne's stuff (if you haven't already). It's a little more country oriented, but I think most Refreshments fans can handle the slight format change.

May 1, 2007 at 7:52 AM Post #29 of 72
Where to start? Hahah.

I'll start with Nest, band consisting of artist A. Tolonen (compositions, most instruments, vocals) and T. Saxell (bass, vocals)
Finnish Neo-folk band (or self-proclaimed naturewave band). Music is based around kantele (Finnish harp) melodies with rhythmic bass and keyboards and occasional Lapland drumming and sometimes Didgeridoo. Occasional Spoken word/whispered vocals.
Debut album Woodsmoke was called camping music by some (review here).
07191051tqix2pc5.jpg

I however love the new album Trail of the Unwary, album is themed around some sort of Hunt, very dark and atmospheric and quite a step up from Woodsmoke IMO.
137400rr5.jpg

May 1, 2007 at 2:23 PM Post #30 of 72
i like dir en grey a lot. when i got into them they weren't known here in the states,(they're japanese) and i fell in love with them. i even flew to tokyo to see them live in 2004. now they're touring here and they have been adopted by the mall-core set of kids who shop at hot topic, and suddenly i feel way to old to be into this band. i'm 37... the last time i saw them live was at the avalon in la recently and i think i was the oldest guy there...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back