Obscure bands
Apr 30, 2007 at 5:53 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 72

trains are bad

Headphoneus Supremus
Anyone have any relatively obscure bands that mean a lot to them? Even obscure insofar as the music scene radar. Critics didn't like them, pitchfork gave them a little blurb...once, maybe. Never heard them on the radio, never seen their CDs other than the ones you ordered from their label's website.

For me it's Hot Water Music. Any of the albums between Fuel for the Hate Game and No Division (after they found their sound and before they switched producers and their albums became tragically overproduced) never fail to bring a whiff of my youth back.

Apr 30, 2007 at 6:33 AM Post #2 of 72
Yeah... way too many to list, though.

First one I see, just scrolling down my playlist, is So So Many White White Tigers. I have a special place for them in my heart because the insane lead singer girl physically attacked me, as well as almost everybody else in the audience, when I saw them live.

Apr 30, 2007 at 6:33 AM Post #3 of 72
face to face.

radio only ever played one of their songs, but they did do the title music for mortal kombat. They tried a major label once and the album seemed overdone.

Sadly they broke up in 2003 after 12 years of playing together.
frown.gif

Apr 30, 2007 at 6:50 AM Post #4 of 72
you all should take a look at the band: mad at gravity. The only place I heard thier music other than from thier album, was at the end credits of reign of fire. They are good.

Apr 30, 2007 at 8:02 AM Post #6 of 72
I'd consider Sopor Aeternus & The Ensemble of Shadows to be fairly obscure. Darkwave isn't a huge genre to begin with and he (she?) isn't that well known anyway.

Apr 30, 2007 at 8:06 AM Post #7 of 72
The band "Someone Still Loves You Boris Yeltsin" is a band I really like that I don't think too many people are aware of. Although I think critics might have liked them as far as I know, but I've never really heard that much said about them. They're a young band that only has 1 album out and they sound a little bit like Weezer but on the softer side without distorted guitars. I'm pretty sure their band name doesn't help them get exposure.

Apr 30, 2007 at 8:21 AM Post #8 of 72
I've only heard of them because I live in San Diego as well.

Apr 30, 2007 at 8:37 AM Post #9 of 72
The Microphones (see avatar!). The Glow Pt. 2 by them has been my favorite album for almost 2 years now. Definitely check it out! It's such a trip on basically any good-sounding headphones. Weird sounds flying from one ear to the other (and not in that overly stoner way. Don't get the wrong idea by the word 'trip'
biggrin.gif
)

Apr 30, 2007 at 8:40 AM Post #10 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by Debaser86 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've only heard of them because I live in San Diego as well.

Did you see them play in concert the other night? I didn't get to go unfortunately.

Apr 30, 2007 at 9:14 AM Post #11 of 72
Yowie comes to mind... I'm still not sure whether their music is completely awful or simply awesome beyond understanding. I have similar feelings toward The Flying Luttenbachers.

Sleeping People are a great band.

Is Dysrhythmia considered obscure these days? Behold... the Arctopus? My points of reference are all messed up, so I'm not really sure. Throw Orthrelm in there too, because the "ambient/droning shred" thing is slightly humorous.

Discordance Axis, one of the few grindcore bands I tolerate. ****** the Facts, another grindcore band I like because they have a female vocalist who sounds like Converge's Jacob Bannon tempered in the most guttural depths of hell... amazing, really.

The Deserts of Träun is an awesome thing. Estradasphere, too. Esphere has gained some considerable and well-deserved recognition since signing with The End, though... so I don't know where they're at on the obscurity meter. Then again, everything on The End is pretty much weird and obscure.

I basically never see Murcof mentioned in electronic circles, but his album Martes is probably the single most accomplished and impressive electronic album that I've ever heard.

Apr 30, 2007 at 9:47 AM Post #13 of 72
Seeing Orthrelm play "OV" live in its entirety was an unforgettable experience. The Flying Luttenbachers are one of my favorite bands and Weasel Walter is an amazing musician. I've also seen Sleeping People play live, having heard nothing about them before, and found them to be really good. Estradasphere and Behold... the Arctopus are great as well, but I've heard quite a number of people give them props before.

I've never seen Someone Still Loves You Boris Yeltsin perform, despite them playing several times at Che Cafe (I go to UCSD). Same goes for Mr. and Mrs. Tribute to Ugliness, though my favorite DJ likes them.

Speaking of my favorite DJ, I think it's appropriate to bring him up in this topic. He has, literally, encyclopedic knowledge of an unbelievable amount of obscure music. Literally, he knows everything about an innumerable amount of bands, what labels they were on, and what albums they released. His name is DJ Rick, his show, Art for Spastics, is on the UC Davis radio station KDVS, and anybody interested in weird and obscure music should check it out: http://www.kdvs.org/showme.cfm?show=...ics&back=_grid

Apr 30, 2007 at 5:53 PM Post #15 of 72
We've got a bunch of local bands here that I love.

Roger Clyne & The Peacemakers
Dead Hot Workshop
Fred Green
a bunch more

Users who are viewing this thread

Back