oBravo Ra 21 C Cu Announced
Oct 4, 2021 at 8:12 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

PhilW

Member of the Trade: Audio Concierge

NEW oBravo Ra 21 C Cu AMT II Earphones

mmexport1633339457627.jpg

After almost 2 years in development, oBravo have managed to squeeze even more performance out of it's patented AMT driver technology and dynamic driver combination. The result is a perfectly balanced presentation, plenty of textured bass and exceptionally fast, accurate detail from the higher frequencies. Utilising an incredible in-house modified 16mm NDD alongside their 8mm AMT II is a world first and provides a soundstage matched only by a pair of headphones.

The visceral sonic ability of Ra 21 C Cu originates from oBravo's philosophy or wanting high quality full sized hifi speakers in your ears and these earphones go an incredible way towards that.

By utilising a stunning copper chassis, the soundwaves created by the drivers interact with the acoustic properties of the enclosure, creating an immersive field of audio that sounds expansive and wonderfully emotive. Adding to the copper chassis, the Ra 21 C Cu is delivered with a precision ceramic nozzle that sits in front of the drivers to decrease any extra frequencies being added to the audible audio spectrum. Due to ceramic being a relatively inert material it's resonant frequencies are beyond human range and thus this helps to deliver an unadulterated musical experience from the drivers to your ears.

Much time has also been spent on the cable that pairs effortlessly with the Ra 21 C Cu and after extensive field testing, we have found that this cable provides better synergy than many aftermarket cables with some over £2000. This was found after a number of owners tested their aftermarket cables alongside what oBravo call Newton Signature.

After the launch of the original Ra C Cu in 2017 the Ra 21 version sees many major enhancements both internally and externally. The internal airflow has been majorly improved to match the difference in performance achieved by the integral drivers and other internal components have been upgraded from the 2017 model. The 21 has also been overhauled externally and now provides an even more substantial enclosure that is even more luxurious than the original.

Sadly, however these updates make the Ra 21 C Cu much harder to manufacturer and oBravo can currently only make roughly 20 pairs of these earphones per month.

The Ra 21 C Cu is available to pre-order now from your local oBravo Partner with new orders currently expected to be delivered in December.

Attachments

• mmexport1633339458974.jpg
    mmexport1633339458974.jpg
    100.5 KB · Views: 0
  • mmexport1633339455850.jpg
    mmexport1633339455850.jpg
    112 KB · Views: 0
  • mmexport1633339453641.jpg
    mmexport1633339453641.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 0
Oct 4, 2021 at 10:02 AM Post #2 of 22
Excellent thread! I thought I should share my personal journey with these fantastic IEMs that have come to occupy a key place in my humble collection.

Deciding to buy Ra was, naturally, a rather difficult decision on a few different levels. The elephant in the room- price- was the number one reason why I was reluctant to commit.
Phil from Audio Concierge kindly loaned me a pair to listen to- which was the ceramic version of the Ra 21. I let it run in for a few days and it impressed from the get-go with a holographic soundstage, expertly controlled low end and highs. It didn’t take long for me to decide to take the plunge- especially after getting the range topping copper model in to compare with the ceramic. I found that it paired really well with all of my gear from the excellent A&K SP2000 to the Hugo 2 and DAVE.

What makes this IEM such a delightful journey is how well it scales based on the gear used. While it sounds really really well when paired with the Astell&Kern, it grows into a full-blown set of headphones with the DAVE and the amplification it provides.

A word of caution, however- do not jump to conclusions before you have put a few days of running in as the Obravos really start to spread their wings when given the time. In addition, I would advise against getting a set for use outside- while the open back configuration makes for some fantastic headphone like sound, there is quite a bit of sound leakage.
Unless you specifically set out to annoy fellow commuters and risk getting kicked out of the Tube :D

Last edited:
Oct 4, 2021 at 11:20 PM Post #3 of 22
Concur completely - it is a journey with the Ra series - I was foretunate to score a barely used first series Ra-C-Cu, second hand set via the Head-fi classifieds at a more than reasonable price (for a RA !). For me they did take some effort to get to that Ra nirvana sound - thanks to Phil (Audio Concierge) with recommendations for a set of 'Glorious Force-8' cables, Xelastic tips and amping via a Woo WA8 the opened up to their full potential. The results are truely spectacular and makes my other iem's (even the TOTL ones) seem dull, maybe except for my recently purchased Mest Mk2's which while not at the same level as the RA's, give a unique & 'punchy' sound clarity with basic sources (no amping, etc) - so are a good mobile partner to my barely transportable Ra setup.
If you are in the $-neighbourhood I recommend giving the Ra's a try, with a little bit of effort you'll be rewarded with some of the most expansive & viseral sounds in the iem realm (that Ive experienced anyway !)
JD

Oct 11, 2021 at 11:41 AM Post #6 of 22
Well, I cannot wait for the revised copper Ra to land.

Getting warmed up with the current version of the Ra 21 C-Cu, Eletech's Aeneid cable and the most excellent SP2000.

I understand from @PhilW that they are already in production so hopefully not much longer left to wait!

Attachments

• DE51E048-179A-4EBE-A9B5-725DC650C9FC.jpeg
    DE51E048-179A-4EBE-A9B5-725DC650C9FC.jpeg
    4.6 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Oct 12, 2021 at 1:04 AM Post #10 of 22
Hi Nyanakiev, your pic of your Ra setup s v.nice ! - looks like Obravo to 2 pin cable adapters - where did you source these ?
Also your tips are custom made molds ?
JD
Cheers! Got the 2-pin adapters from Phil at Audio Concierge from day 1 of owning Ra.

Yes, had these made back in the day to help alleviate the discomfort caused by my CA Solaris&Solaris SE.

Found they work great with Ra too.

May 18, 2022 at 6:48 AM Post #12 of 22
I've borrowed a set of these from Phil of https://www.audioconcierge.co.uk/ and I have to give him my thanks. I'm truly enjoying my time with them. I have been using them mostly with the fiio m17 but also the cayin c9. The sound is simply amazing. The bass is deep and textured while keeping the mids nice and clear. The treble is also very detailed but never fatiguing. When I first received them I expected them to not sound great with a lot of non audiophile music as eventhough I do listen to classical and Jazz, I also have sessions on electronic bass heavy music as well as poorly recorded metal! Surprisingly, these genres also sounded great on them, the ra drivers keeping up perfectly even with the quickest metal tracks. To be honest, they seem like a set you could live with as your only set as they sound incredible with anything you listen to. The only downpart I can see is that they are quite heavy and got only slightly unconfortable after a while. Take that with a pinch of salt though as I find the ier z1r comfortable and most people dont! The other thing is of course the cost as they are priced high due to their very premium nature. They are extremly well built and do come with a lifetime warranty. Now to see if I can sell enough stuff to afford them!

May 18, 2022 at 11:57 AM Post #13 of 22
I've borrowed a set of these from Phil of https://www.audioconcierge.co.uk/ and I have to give him my thanks. I'm truly enjoying my time with them. I have been using them mostly with the fiio m17 but also the cayin c9. The sound is simply amazing. The bass is deep and textured while keeping the mids nice and clear. The treble is also very detailed but never fatiguing. When I first received them I expected them to not sound great with a lot of non audiophile music as eventhough I do listen to classical and Jazz, I also have sessions on electronic bass heavy music as well as poorly recorded metal! Surprisingly, these genres also sounded great on them, the ra drivers keeping up perfectly even with the quickest metal tracks. To be honest, they seem like a set you could live with as your only set as they sound incredible with anything you listen to. The only downpart I can see is that they are quite heavy and got only slightly unconfortable after a while. Take that with a pinch of salt though as I find the ier z1r comfortable and most people dont! The other thing is of course the cost as they are priced high due to their very premium nature. They are extremly well built and do come with a lifetime warranty. Now to see if I can sell enough stuff to afford them!
how they sound compared to ierz1r?

May 18, 2022 at 12:02 PM Post #14 of 22
how they sound compared to ierz1r?
Quite different. Z1r are slightly v shaped and have hard hitting bass. Obravo is far more reference

Jun 6, 2022 at 8:25 PM Post #15 of 22
I have been listening to these demo via Letsgo audio in HK and they are growing on me. Phil has been very good to introduce me to these last year. At first, my impression was not very good since it is harder to drive especially on an SP2000 and any DAP on the market will really find it a struggle to power the earlier versions. Last week I listened to the new version 21 on an LP6TI and it has changed my impression of these IEMs. They sound so different. My advice is to listen to these with a power amp first. These are superb IEMs especially the newer 21 version. Even though the price is high some of us have to save for them. If Phil can arrange for a price around HK$45-50K it's more affordable on my pockets:wink: Saying this it is a fine IEM and probably one of the best around after the new tuning.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back