oBravo Earphones and Headphones Land in UK
Apr 30, 2016 at 1:04 PM Post #121 of 498
I've personally tried every single model too, from the cheapest one to the most expensive one.

They did all kinda sound like those measurements I'm afraid. And trust me, I was so hoping to like them. So much. I was so excited at the prospects of planars and ribbons and AMTs and what not in IEMs. But they just sounded so bad to me.

I've just tried the VE monks a few days back. Those 5usd earbuds? And really I would use those over the obravos any day, regardless of price. Even if the obravos were 5 dollars I would not use them

The obravos are in no way accurate. They are exremely, extremely coloured, and to be honest I don't know what they're going for. There are lots of coloured IEMs around, but when you hear them you know what theyre going for. With the Obravos, I just felt that they were so bad. There were no highs, no lows, and everything in between was just so funkily out of place. I could not possibly use them, and would rather not listen to music if these were the only option.

And I really, really, really wanted to like them, I really did.

Apr 30, 2016 at 1:06 PM Post #122 of 498
  I've personally tried every single model too, from the cheapest one to the most expensive one.

They did all kinda sound like those measurements I'm afraid. And trust me, I was so hoping to like them. So much. I was so excited at the prospects of planars and ribbons and AMTs and what not in IEMs. But they just sounded so bad to me.

I've just tried the VE monks a few days back. Those 5usd earbuds? And really I would use those over the obravos any day, regardless of price. Even if the obravos were 5 dollars I would not use them

The obravos are in no way accurate. They are exremely, extremely coloured, and to be honest I don't know what they're going for. There are lots of coloured IEMs around, but when you hear them you know what theyre going for. With the Obravos, I just felt that they were so bad. There were no highs, no lows, and everything in between was just so funkily out of place. I could not possibly use them, and would rather not listen to music if these were the only option.

What in the world were you driving them with?

Apr 30, 2016 at 1:09 PM Post #123 of 498

What in the world were you driving them with?

I tried them with quite a few sources, the Chord mojo, Fiio X5, my Iphone, the Invicta, Chord Hugo, quite a couple of things actually.

Maybe its just my ears that are funky, I dont know, but the obravos certainly sounded... how should I put it, unique haha.

Whatever it is, I think the measurements do say something. I would be more than happy to see more measurements of the other models proving me wrong :)

Apr 30, 2016 at 1:12 PM Post #124 of 498

I tried them with quite a few sources, the Chord mojo, Fiio X5, my Iphone, the Invicta, Chord Hugo, quite a couple of things actually.

Maybe its just my ears that are funky, I dont know, but the obravos certainly sounded... how should I put it, unique haha.

Whatever it is, I think the measurements do say something. I would be more than happy to see more measurements of the other models proving me wrong :)

Not seen the measurements for the in-ears...............however they sound completely different to the HAMT1.

Apr 30, 2016 at 1:19 PM Post #125 of 498

Not seen the measurements for the in-ears...............however they sound completely different to the HAMT1.

I hope I don't come across as someone trying to troll. I promise you I am not. 

You know what, it would genuinely be lovely if you could get a couple of pairs to someone who could get them measured and for the measurements to be shared here. And I will gladly eat my words if the measurements prove me to be wrong. :)

Apr 30, 2016 at 2:06 PM Post #126 of 498
I will say that with my setup (SpinFit tips and QP1R, what I use for most all my universal listening), the entire oBravo lineup (haven't tried the models yet that the oBravo representative said were to be the highest tiers for the planar and EAMT that will be released in the future) that I listened to would be characterized as having some of the brightest treble that I've listened to when it comes to C/IEMs, with not a lot of quantity of bass as well. Foams may curb the high treble/possibly strident nature of the lineup, but the inherent nature of the IEMs regardless of what tips are used are that of a bright treble emphasis.

For those that love a very bright signature, the oBravo IEMs are great as the are very coherent and resolving in the frequencies they emit, but for those that are in the least sensitive to treble, I would personally choose another brand that offers a more balanced/reference/bassy sound signature.

May 6, 2016 at 6:00 PM Post #128 of 498
Treble bright? I thought the pair I heard sounded quite treble neutral... Different strokes for different folks :)

Glad by fair means or foul that this product line is getting exposure :)

May 13, 2016 at 12:24 PM Post #129 of 498
Treble bright? I thought the pair I heard sounded quite treble neutral... Different strokes for different folks
smily_headphones1.gif

Glad by fair means or foul that this product line is getting exposure
smily_headphones1.gif

I don't think they are particularly bright with the foam, but they are definitely bright with the silicone. I think the foam tames that treble down some. That said, I tend to like a bright signature, so long as it doesn't have any ear-piercing peaks. I didn't find any of those with the two oBravo headphones I've heard. The ERIB-2a, from memory, is the brighter of the ERIB-2a and the EAMT-3w I've heard.

May 13, 2016 at 12:34 PM Post #130 of 498

I have no idea how you got that impression. No highs, no lows, things out of place. That makes no sense to me based on between 80 and 100 hours of listening between two models (ERIB-2a and EAMT-3w).

The ERIB-2a is a bright headphone with absolutely stellar mids and spacious well-delineated soundstage. The EAMT-3w is mellow and musical with a warm tinge and a notch in the lower mids that can make some vocals and instruments sound timid, but with the largest soundstage I've ever heard out of an IEM--like full-size planar magnetic soundstage and pinpoint location within that soundstage. Instruments sound incredibly natural, especially violins and saxophone. Orchestral music was amazing. I can't comprehend your impressions based on the two models I've had significant time with.

May 13, 2016 at 1:01 PM Post #131 of 498
I do get the point re colouration, the review sample that did the rounds, I personally thought that the crossover between dynamic and planar was a little too extended, leading to an over rich upper bass / lower mids...

If the demo model had a better dynamic driver, and better crossover point, I'd be all over them.

May 14, 2016 at 5:23 AM Post #132 of 498
Hi guys.  Here's my review of the oBravo ERIB-2a.  As you will read, my impressions seemed quite at odds with what others had said.  Quite perplexing...

http://www.head-fi.org/products/obravo-erib-2a/reviews/15988

May 14, 2016 at 5:45 AM Post #133 of 498
  Hi guys.  Here's my review of the oBravo ERIB-2a.  As you will read, my impressions seemed quite at odds with what others had said.  Quite perplexing...

http://www.head-fi.org/products/obravo-erib-2a/reviews/15988

Cheers Amigomatt,

The complete polar opinions of these earphones is somewhat staggering. :D

Great to get a decent amount of people experiencing these though. I'm guessing you used the large tips and didnt insert these all the way into your ears?

All the best

Phil

May 14, 2016 at 6:52 AM Post #134 of 498
May 14, 2016 at 7:28 AM Post #135 of 498
It really is amazing the differences of opinion on these. I trust everyone's ears, but it really appears that we are hearing quite differently. I wonder if professional reviewer opinion would be as split? @amigomatt is a professional musician teaching classical music to kids, so I very much value his perspective, but am perplexed as to how we could hear things so differently.

I think there are several potential confounders:
  1. fit
  2. listening volume
  3. physiology
  4. sound preference
  5. audio training

I would usually say source, but everyone has listened through the Chord Mojo, so that is controlled. There have also been some shared tracks between the reviewers so there should be a good enough cross-section on tracks. Tidal HiFi could also be a variable.

I think this really points out the limitations of subjective observational data, but there will never be fully controlled data in this environment. That would be an interesting experiment though. A review tour could be organised using the same source and the same playlist. I don't think listening volume can be controlled for though and the sample would have to be fairly large with reviews put out simultaneously. This would require that all reviews be sent to a central repository and held until all were ready. It's too bad I'm not trained in qualitative methods or Nvivo software, then we could really science this thing.

Shall we try this with the EAMT-3a, @PhilW? Which source would you like to send out with headphones? Which tracks should be loaded onto the source? I think this might be a worthwile experiment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back