oBravo Earphones and Headphones Land in UK
Apr 21, 2016 at 1:34 PM Post #107 of 498
Hi all,

I wrote about most of the entire oBravo lineup in my QP1R review, here: http://www.head-fi.org/t/778877/review-questyle-audio-qp1r-with-multiple-headphone-and-iem-pairings#post_11865030.

Have a great day or night!

Apr 24, 2016 at 3:11 PM Post #108 of 498
Hi all,

I wrote about most of the entire oBravo lineup in my QP1R review, here: http://www.head-fi.org/t/778877/review-questyle-audio-qp1r-with-multiple-headphone-and-iem-pairings#post_11865030.

Have a great day or night!

I think you missed the ERIB-2a in that review. Also all the pictures are with silicon tips. I don't think most would use the silicon tips. Thanks for the comprehensive review, and the copious impressions! It's an excellent contribution to HeadFi!

Apr 24, 2016 at 3:28 PM Post #109 of 498
I think you missed the ERIB-2a in that review. Also all the pictures are with silicon tips. I don't think most would use the silicon tips. Thanks for the comprehensive review, and the copious impressions! It's an excellent contribution to HeadFi!

I did not "miss" anything, meaning, I wrote about what the representative had on hand. He told me that he would have more models in the future. If and when I can see him again, I may or may not add impressions of the oBravo IEMs I did not listen to as an update in the QP1R review thread. Also, moon-audio.com calls the 2W and 3W that I reviewed the 2A and 3A which means I listened to and wrote about the entire lineup thus far. As for silicon tips, I use the SpinFit tips with most all universal IEMs I listen to or own. This makes my written impressions as uniform as possible, regardless of who uses what or does not use as individual preferences and different sizes-fit-all tips that are used by each individual are vast in amount, material, size, and the list goes on. I do not use foams most of the time, as I am active and do not like to get them sweaty to the point of not being useful and I don't like the method of having to compress the foam, amongst other reasons why I don't like using foam such as believing that they are less sanitary than silicone (the dirt goes into the foam's pores) that can be completely wiped off with a moist sanitation wipe or napkin.

With regards to the review comments, thank you, I appreciate it.

Apr 24, 2016 at 4:05 PM Post #110 of 498
I did not "miss" anything, meaning, I wrote about what the representative had on hand. He told me that he would have more models in the future. If and when I can see him again, I may or may not add impressions of the oBravo IEMs I did not listen to as an update in the QP1R review thread. As for silicon tips, I use the SpinFit tips with most all universal IEMs I listen to or own. This makes my written impressions as uniform as possible, regardless of who uses what or does not use as individual preferences and different sizes-fit-all tips that are used by each individual are vast in amount, material, size, and the list goes on. I do not use foams most of the time, as I am active and do not like to get them sweaty to the point of not being useful and I don't like the method of having to compress the foam, amongst other reasons why I don't like using foam such as believing that they are less sanitary than silicone (the dirt goes into the foam's pores) that can be completely wiped off with a moist sanitation wipe or napkin.

With regards to the review comments, thank you, I appreciate it.

I'm with you about the silicone vs foam thing and you know how much I love them SpinFits. However, I do have to bring the attention where the IEMs were designed with foam tips in mind, and in a strange/revolutionary manner ala the Abyss AB-1266 they were designed not to completely seal, apparently for safety reasons.

Apr 24, 2016 at 4:12 PM Post #111 of 498
I'm with you about the silicone vs foam thing and you know how much I love them SpinFits. However, I do have to bring the attention where the IEMs were designed with foam tips in mind, and in a strange/revolutionary manner ala the Abyss AB-1266 they were designed not to completely seal, apparently for safety reasons.

By that logic, I would see even more so why the SpinFit tips may be preferred over the foam tips, since the foam tips in most cases will probably block out more ambient noise than the SpinFit tips. :normal_smile :

Apr 25, 2016 at 3:03 PM Post #112 of 498
I listened for about 4 hours today on the EAMT-3w with the included silicone tips (forgot the foamies at home). The sound had less bass, and the sound was a bit more fatiguing. I think that the foamies may be helping with both those factors.

I haven't done direct back and forth yet, but will test.

Apr 25, 2016 at 3:16 PM Post #113 of 498
Different sizes-fit-all tips that feature different densities, sizes, lengths, and materials (foam, silicone, etcetera) paired with an IEM will all be factors to the specific individual who uses them, and will have varying results as well from IEM to IEM due to the sizes/length of housings, material used in creating the housing, etcetera.

Apr 25, 2016 at 3:57 PM Post #115 of 498
Not sure why oBravo provide silicone with these. The difference with comply is somewhat significant.

I'm glad oBravo chose to provide silicone with their lineup. Options are always welcome in my book.

Hope to see you again at your awesome store, my friend! :beerchug:

Apr 26, 2016 at 5:47 AM Post #117 of 498
@PhilW, Phil can I be the first one here to put my weight behind a review tour? I only listened to these for a little while but thank you very much for the loan of them for our micro meet. We were doing comparisons through the Mojo with some of my other top flight IEMs but Micah insists on having the sound at volumes which are too painful for me!
I am a comply fan for many IEMs that I haven't had customs made for although silicons tend to suit bassy IEMs as it tends to control the bass. Horses for courses -I think the oBravos need foam to be a thoroughbred

Apr 26, 2016 at 12:16 PM Post #118 of 498
  I listened for about 4 hours today on the EAMT-3w with the included silicone tips (forgot the foamies at home). The sound had less bass, and the sound was a bit more fatiguing. I think that the foamies may be helping with both those factors.

I haven't done direct back and forth yet, but will test.

Direct back and forth mostly confirms, smoother with the foamies, less fatiguing sound (it isn't just the treble, too much force coming in with depth of insertion required for silicone), bass was roughly equal, but a bit less mid impact than with the silicone. The soundstage is also slightly less impressive (less width) with the silicone, partly because the silicone doesn't have a long enough bore to be secure in a partially inserted position. I think that there could be silicone tips that could match the foamies with these, maybe a bi-flange or a triple flange (I can't find my bag of tips at the moment)? The provided silicone tips also don't hold onto the nozzle terribly well, I found them sliding up with short usage. The nozzle is quite large on the EAMT-3w.

The silicone doesn't sound much worse. The main detriments are that the sound is way more fatiguing with the silicone and the soundstage is slightly reduced in width. I'm starting to get a little headache after just a couple songs today, even with adjusting down the volume--the silicone tips are louder because they position the nozzle closer to your eardrum. The tiny bit of difference in distance really does affect the comfort. The silicones do have a bit crisper sound and bit better impact and edge in the mids, but I think the cost is too high given the discomfort I'm experiencing. I think a longer nozzle silicone would prevent what I'm experiencing.

For this comparison I used Massive Attack's Mezzanine album, listening from Teardrop through Exchange with both sets of tips and then just continuing on with the Comply foamies because it sounds freaking great.

Apr 30, 2016 at 12:42 PM Post #119 of 498
@PhilW
 I don't see a lot of references to the eamt-3w except in Japan. On the oBravo page, it has the eamt-3a. Is the eamt-3w a Japanese special only? I didn't bother trying the other oBravo series available at the store. So just wondering how the wood is different from the aluminium (construction-wise) - is it full wood, or just part wood, etc.

I'm not surprised you didn't like them.

This is taken from Tyll's website. Well I know it's not the same headphone (or IEM whatever, not too important) but any company that makes anything that measures like this, boy....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back