oBravo Cupid
May 14, 2020 at 11:40 AM Post #196 of 225
Thanks for the reply. A quick question: which wire did you use on them before the mod?

PS

you wont regret em, i find em funny cause with proper tips and with excellent quality recordings they are amusing and quite fun, but feed em some weird 44.1/ 16 or change the tips to something they dont like and heck... annoying! i find my self using a pair of sony tips that i found on amazon that resemble spiral dots (i love the fit, they are super comfy) and i did the mod for using other cables with em... sorry obravo, i use the dunu hulk with em, quite an amazing combo, mids, mid highs have more body and are more articulated imo

May 14, 2020 at 2:16 PM Post #197 of 225
you wont regret em, i find em funny cause with proper tips and with excellent quality recordings they are amusing and quite fun, but feed em some weird 44.1/ 16 or change the tips to something they dont like and heck... annoying! i find my self using a pair of sony tips that i found on amazon that resemble spiral dots (i love the fit, they are super comfy) and i did the mod for using other cables with em... sorry obravo, i use the dunu hulk with em, quite an amazing combo, mids, mid highs have more body and are more articulated imo

Wait. You used the DUNU Hulk? Wow. What luck. I have that cable.

May 26, 2020 at 11:33 AM Post #202 of 225
A quick follow-up. When the Cupids were good, they were very, very good; but when they were bad they were [bothersome].

I have a CTH (fed by a Modi Multibit) and a Jotunheim (with Multibit DAC board), as well as a DethonRay. I had ‘first listen bliss‘ when I first fed the Cupids; however, it was very difficult to get that experience on later sessions. I tried a few different ear tips but ear placement and alignment were just too critical for me to live with. Could be my ears since I’ve had this issue with both IEMs and hearing protection before. The only reliable fit I’ve had for IEMs are moulds. I’m not much of a gear tweaker since I do not like variables injected into my chain; I like to start with known references as much as possible. The thought of online shopping for the right ear tip wasn’t bringing joy.

Again, the Cupids were gorgeous and sounded great on a couple of sessions, and likely more often with human ears and the right tips. I’ve my Etymotics ER-4S and Westone for IEMs and couldn’t justify something that wasn’t working for me well every time out of the box.

The oBravo Cupids were in the house for 3-weeks and the fine folks a Bloom Audio were nice enough to accept them on return. They should be going-up on “open box” shortly.

FWIW: Bloom has chocolate.

Last edited:
Jul 20, 2020 at 6:06 AM Post #203 of 225
Iam having JVC FX850 now. Looking for an upgrade. Any direct comparison with cupid..? Need Big Bass n Big soundstage.
Cupid?
FA E5000?
FW 01? Or any other recommendations?

Last edited:
Jul 20, 2020 at 7:16 AM Post #204 of 225
Iam having JVC FX850 now. Looking for an upgrade. Any direct comparison with cupid..? Need Big Bass n Big soundstage.
Cupid?
FA E5000?
Auditioned FX850 and FX1200 and got the FX1200. Later got the FW01 and the FX1200 was left gathering dust. After I got the Cupid, FW01 too was left gathering dust. The only thing I missed from FW01 is the mids and vocals.
Was a basshead and started to appreciate bass especially sub bass that was implemented well. With Cupids you can start to discern layers of bass instead of a single lump (using WM1A). Hope this helps.

Jul 20, 2020 at 7:57 AM Post #205 of 225
Cupid?
FA E5000?

Cupid is a good choice. Also IMR Acoustics - either the R2 Aten or R2 Red out if the available models. Huge soundstage and even bigger bass with the right filters in (it's a 15mm beryllium DD).

Sep 15, 2020 at 1:33 PM Post #208 of 225
Sep 15, 2020 at 1:35 PM Post #209 of 225
Bingo. Huge rant below.

Something people do no take into account is that our ears are the microphone. Our brain is the processor. Ears record, brain sorts it out and you have an emotional experience. It fills in the gaps and compensates for any irregularities and anomalies in the sound over time and through processing. Those irregularities we may end up find pleasing in the end. If you listen to something that measures very flat, like a Studio Monitor, most people are bored and unimpressed because it doesn't present any challenge - its flat! It is generic, predictable, unstimulating. Take something that is very wonky like the Nighthawk, it will discombombulate you at first. You literally need TIME and EXPOSURE so that your brain can equalize it for you. Once that is done, only then can you begin to appreciate the sound. That is the end goal after all, to appreciate a certain sound.

A measuring rig measures - it does not percieve as we do. It has no perception of reality. A frequency response graph is just a high resolution representation of frequency intensity at any one frequency to a "rational", cold computer - but music, which is what we listen to, not a sine sweep, is many frequencies at once to an irrational & emotional human.

It is just a tool we use to try and point us in a direction, it may have nothing to do with the end result.
...and then after some criticism of the value of measurements, Crinacle's response:

"Yeah, screw that guy"

I have no words....

Sep 15, 2020 at 1:38 PM Post #210 of 225
LMAO I didn't know unboxings were counted as full reviews these days.

...and then after some criticism of the value of measurements, Crinacle's response:

"Yeah, screw that guy"

I have no words....

Woah woah, looks like someone doesn't understand self-deprecation.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back