oBravo Cupid
Sep 20, 2019 at 2:44 PM Post #76 of 225
For those looking for a solution to the balanced cable, single-ended input, this adaptor from Fiio has worked

J Hog Hi - is that an Activo CT10 I see you using ? That is the only DAP I have and was thinking of getting the Cupid to use with it - how well do they go together ?
( I am not a bass head but more of a detail guy)

Many thanks Vincent

Sep 20, 2019 at 3:54 PM Post #77 of 225

Hi Vincent - I always drive it amped through a Vorzamp Duo, so cant say. If you want I can take a listen direct through the DAP and let you know how it sounds, but certainly the Cupid is a really great addition to my audio set up. It holds its own against more expensive iems and treads a great line between fun and technical

Sep 20, 2019 at 4:04 PM Post #78 of 225
Hi Vincent - I always drive it amped through a Vorzamp Duo, so cant say. If you want I can take a listen direct through the DAP and let you know how it sounds, but certainly the Cupid is a really great addition to my audio set up. It holds its own against more expensive iems and treads a great line between fun and technical
Hi yes please try it and let me know - thanks

Sep 20, 2019 at 5:04 PM Post #79 of 225
Does anyone also have the same thing, that the music floats above the eyes or head? My other iems sometimes had this effect with little notes but the cupid does sound everytime like the music plays on the top of my head.
Not here, though. What gear are you using?

Sep 21, 2019 at 1:45 PM Post #81 of 225
Onkyo DP-S1, ZTE Axon 7 and RME ADI-2. I bought also a Dethonray DTR1, but it will come later.
In my case it's more like a standard left + right thing with some isolated notes/effects coming from slightly different directions - using the crossfeed function of the RME ADI 2 I can make it more coherent/less separated indeed.

Sep 21, 2019 at 3:07 PM Post #82 of 225
Hi yes please try it and let me know - thanks

Had bit of a listen direct from CT10 - hard to be precise given I’m comparing to the Vorzamp/CT10 combo, but it sounded good. Leaner than with the Vorzuge, and with less in the mids, a little more v shaped, but overall a really good pairing. Conclusion: CT10 and Cupids a good combo, but they’re an iem that scale very very nicely with proper amping, especially for the price.

Hope this useful

Sep 22, 2019 at 2:26 PM Post #83 of 225
My modded cupids. Now i can rotate it and use any mmcx cable that i want. :) Please don't do it if you wont loose your warrenty.

IMG_20190922_202236.jpg

Last edited:
Sep 22, 2019 at 5:00 PM Post #84 of 225
My modded cupids. Now i can rotate it and use any mmcx cable that i want. :) Please don't do it if you wont loose your warrenty.

Did you sent em to be cut off from the top or changed the Mmcx conector? Quite tempted to do this, the balanced cable that comes with is quite annoying and actually hurts my ears

Sep 23, 2019 at 12:08 AM Post #87 of 225
Did you sent em to be cut off from the top or changed the Mmcx conector? Quite tempted to do this, the balanced cable that comes with is quite annoying and actually hurts my ears

I done this by my self. I used a nailfile to hone down the connector. A nailfile is perfect for this because it has two sides, a rough one and a finer one. But be very careful if you want to do this. You have to hone down only until the slit disappear. If you go further down, you damage the gap where the little ring of the mmcx connector goes in.

Sep 23, 2019 at 7:53 AM Post #88 of 225
Back to sound..

How's the treble? Extended? peakless? thickor thin?

Mid-range? I heard some concerning things about it having an artificial tint to it, but I also heard that extended burn-in actually corrects some initial problems.

Bass?

Soundstage and 3D-ness?

:)

Sep 23, 2019 at 8:03 AM Post #89 of 225
Back to sound..

How's the treble? Extended? peakless? thickor thin?

Mid-range? I heard some concerning things about it having an artificial tint to it, but I also heard that extended burn-in actually corrects some initial problems.

Bass?

Soundstage and 3D-ness?

:)

I'd say the Cupid is relatively well extended at both ends (although more at the bottom) and I enjoy the treble, it's not in your face, but it's there if you listen for it, nicely detailed too. I'm one of those who talked about artificial mids, and I'd stick by that, but I'd also say that it's really not something I notice at all anymore - I'm pretty sceptical of burn-in, so my guess is brain burn-in, and the fact that it was always only a fairly minor glitch, although I might be wrong :) . Overall the mids are probably by a very small margin its weakest aspect, but not in the normal sense of being absent or recessed, they're actually very rich and thick, just not as 100 percent natural sounding as some other (considerably more expensive) cans...

Soundstage is surprisingly 3D for an iem at this point, it's deeper than it is wide. no complaints at all.

please don't misunderstand, one of the things I really like about the Cupid is that it basically does everything pretty darn well, nothing sounds really off, and while it might not have the absolute all-out technical chops of my Heir 8.0s, nor do I sit there listening to the cupids and feeling that I'm missing out on anything. As my on-the-go iem it does brilliantly, and I personally find it very comfortable too. I would be immensely surprised if anyone got the the Cupids and was disappointed with them, there's nothing really to be disappointed with. Could you get a better iem? sure, but it'll probably cost a bunch more.

hope this helps

Sep 23, 2019 at 8:32 AM Post #90 of 225
I'd say the Cupid is relatively well extended at both ends (although more at the bottom) and I enjoy the treble, it's not in your face, but it's there if you listen for it, nicely detailed too. I'm one of those who talked about artificial mids, and I'd stick by that, but I'd also say that it's really not something I notice at all anymore - I'm pretty sceptical of burn-in, so my guess is brain burn-in, and the fact that it was always only a fairly minor glitch, although I might be wrong :) . Overall the mids are probably by a very small margin its weakest aspect, but not in the normal sense of being absent or recessed, they're actually very rich and thick, just not as 100 percent natural sounding as some other (considerably more expensive) cans...

Soundstage is surprisingly 3D for an iem at this point, it's deeper than it is wide. no complaints at all.

please don't misunderstand, one of the things I really like about the Cupid is that it basically does everything pretty darn well, nothing sounds really off, and while it might not have the absolute all-out technical chops of my Heir 8.0s, nor do I sit there listening to the cupids and feeling that I'm missing out on anything. As my on-the-go iem it does brilliantly, and I personally find it very comfortable too. I would be immensely surprised if anyone got the the Cupids and was disappointed with them, there's nothing really to be disappointed with. Could you get a better iem? sure, but it'll probably cost a bunch more.

hope this helps
I would wholeheartedly subscribe to this summary. Although when it comes to that "mids topic" I must admit that as I don't know (as potentially nobody does) the "intended" sound signature of the "original" recording source I'm not sure I would can the mids "weird" or "unnatural". I would at least dare to say that the mids sometimes sound somewhat different compared to what I'm used to with other gear. Bass is yummy and treble sounds as described by jhog not forced upon you. Cupid sounds very pleasant but can still surprise you (for good or bad) - which is something I like a lot in a component.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back