UltraSonic Studios Amps
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 31, 2022 at 11:06 PM Post #6,693 of 7,569
I'm putting my name in to listen to this. Hope I can get in !

HE_1_Set_Product_shot_Front_open_black_1.jpg

Nov 1, 2022 at 1:00 AM Post #6,694 of 7,569
@senseitedj I am thinking of having impedance(s) switch on my Telemachus. Now that you have it, do you find it beneficial? What are the impedances you can set it to? Were you given the power output for each of the impedance?

That's a lot of questions. :wink:

Nov 1, 2022 at 12:09 PM Post #6,695 of 7,569
@senseitedj I am thinking of having impedance(s) switch on my Telemachus. Now that you have it, do you find it beneficial? What are the impedances you can set it to? Were you given the power output for each of the impedance?

That's a lot of questions. :wink:

It is a really useful feature, especially if you have multiple HPs. Mine is adjustable to 3 levels, but other oblivion owners have it to 2. I do not know the exact value of the output impedances, as I did not specify it in my build and just said what my main HPs, which are the LCD-4z and HEDDphone. I just let Tomas @SonicTrance work his magic based on that info. Perhaps he can comment. :)

I use HEDDphone on High-Z, and LCD-4z on Low-Z. High-Z on HEDDphone improves dynamics, punch and slam at a small expense of soundstage. No hiss or hum for LCD-4z even on high-z but I prefer to set it at low-z to improve its rather small soundstage. You can perhaps use it to add an extra degree of customisation on top of tube rolling.

I think each successive impedance level triples the power output, based on how it is implemented on the oblivion (see bottom): https://ultrasonicstudios.org/oblivion/ . But I cannot say this for sure

Last edited:
Nov 1, 2022 at 1:09 PM Post #6,696 of 7,569
Went to an audio exhibition in Indonesia and had a chance to demo a few pieces of gear. Link below are my impressions in the ZMF amp thread, as I tried it mostly with ZMF headphones. In particular I was curious with Atrium. I left some picture of tube amps in this thread. Got to try DCA expanse as well. Sounds similar to HEDDphone but with less soundstage but more comfortable (and expensive). DCA provided slightly higher clarity and soundstage still feels out-of-your-head.

I think if you are curious on demoing the Telemachus, there are some differences, but the Cayin HA300 MK2 provides a sufficiently good impression of what it sounds like. In general, the Telemachus has higher clarity, soundstage and generally feels a lot less congested-sounding (when evaluating under show conditions). To my ears, the 'voicing' are along with the same lines when comparing the Cayin HA300 MK2 with Telemachus on SS rectifier.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/the-un-official-amp-thread-for-zmf-headphones.965309/page-35

Quite mean aren't you comparing the Cayin with the Tele? :scream:

Nov 1, 2022 at 1:31 PM Post #6,697 of 7,569
@K3cT It is what it is, given the level of componentry and methods used in cayin vs tele, the differences are somewhat expected. These are just relative comparisons. That being said I still really enjoyed my time with Cayin at the show.

Last edited:
Nov 1, 2022 at 11:44 PM Post #6,698 of 7,569
It is a really useful feature, especially if you have multiple HPs. Mine is adjustable to 3 levels, but other oblivion owners have it to 2. I do not know the exact value of the output impedances, as I did not specify it in my build and just said what my main HPs, which are the LCD-4z and HEDDphone. I just let Tomas @SonicTrance work his magic based on that info. Perhaps he can comment. :)

I use HEDDphone on High-Z, and LCD-4z on Low-Z. High-Z on HEDDphone improves dynamics, punch and slam at a small expense of soundstage. No hiss or hum for LCD-4z even on high-z but I prefer to set it at low-z to improve its rather small soundstage. You can perhaps use it to add an extra degree of customisation on top of tube rolling.

I think each successive impedance level triples the power output, based on how it is implemented on the oblivion (see bottom): https://ultrasonicstudios.org/oblivion/ . But I cannot say this for sure

Thanks for the reply. I will talk to Tomas more closer to the date.

Nov 2, 2022 at 11:08 AM Post #6,699 of 7,569
These tubes have remained in Odyssey for almost a month. Incredibly, the more I listen, the better it gets. I should just leave them in there. It's locked on Susvara, having that tighness in tone with no softness and the unmistakeable sparkly, electrified tube tone of Telefunken tubes.

IMG_5259.jpg

Nov 2, 2022 at 3:00 PM Post #6,700 of 7,569

Ironically on my Odyssey, I prefer it on the HEDDphone on the low impedance setting (8 ohms). At 32 ohmS for it, I feel, only increases the hum.
I also have an attenuation switch, I find it does alter the characteristics - especially base and vocal forwardness.

What cables do you use with the HEDD?

Nov 2, 2022 at 11:12 PM Post #6,701 of 7,569
Ironically on my Odyssey, I prefer it on the HEDDphone on the low impedance setting (8 ohms). At 32 ohmS for it, I feel, only increases the hum.
I also have an attenuation switch, I find it does alter the characteristics - especially base and vocal forwardness.

What cables do you use with the HEDD?
We use totally different amps so it's normal that the changes from the impedance are not the same.

I use Moon Audio blue dragon.

Nov 4, 2022 at 5:45 PM Post #6,702 of 7,569

So for you the LCD-4z is less sensitive to hum than the HEDDphone? I didn't expect that because of the HEDD's sensitivity of 87 vs. 93 of LCD-4z. Is the difference very great? I have a used HEDDphone incoming that I will try.

A modest bit of the buzz also comes from the tubes, so I wonder if anyone has tried tube absorption rings to any positive effect?

Nov 5, 2022 at 12:39 AM Post #6,704 of 7,569
So for you the LCD-4z is less sensitive to hum than the HEDDphone? I didn't expect that because of the HEDD's sensitivity of 87 vs. 93 of LCD-4z. Is the difference very great? I have a used HEDDphone incoming that I will try.

A modest bit of the buzz also comes from the tubes, so I wonder if anyone has tried tube absorption rings to any positive effect?

No, what I said is that I get no hum/hiss whatsoever on my sensitive LCD-4z, even when the amp's output is set to high impedance.

Sensitive headphones are usually the first ones to pick up hiss/hum, but nothing for my case. LCD-4z is 98db/mW at 15 ohms impedance btw, very sensitive.

I use a UPS to reduce ground loops and to protect the amp from power surges (which happens occasionally where I am located).

Nov 7, 2022 at 6:04 AM Post #6,705 of 7,569
After weeks of Telefunken EL11 and EL12 spez, I finally roll in GEC A2900 and KT88. Admittedly this is better. Never knew that I will acknowledge that. Clarity is pulsating now and vocals has that sweetness. Telefunken and GEC... the best brand house sound in the business.

As I listen to music, I think of Telemachus that is coming next year. How will that alter the way Susvara sound?

IMG_5285.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back