Oblivion | UltraSonic Studios
Jul 30, 2021 at 2:38 PM Post #2,536 of 7,481
Somehow I'm not into IEMs and DAPs. I could have but I just wasn't into it. I don't move around with a ear bud in my ears. Did not even want to get the Apple iPod Pros.
Agreed, it's nice to hear the sounds of the countryside some of the time.. or the cursing on the golf course... :relaxed:.

Jul 30, 2021 at 9:11 PM Post #2,538 of 7,481
Somehow I'm not into IEMs and DAPs. I could have but I just wasn't into it

I been using my iBasso 220max dap's line out, as my primary source for a while.
Sold off the desktop Dacs for a Dap.
By doing so, I avoid ALL the problems of computers and the software players, and interconnect/USB cables, spdif adapters...etc and all their associated jitter issues.
Just a line out to my amp.
😯🙂😛

Last edited:
Jul 30, 2021 at 9:35 PM Post #2,540 of 7,481
The day of auditioning Utopia vs He1000se. Taken on the 31st May 2021. It's already 2 months. How time flies.

IMG_2497.jpg

Empire Ears Odin with a Astell&Kern dap. Same day at Minidisc. This iem retails for 5k plus, has 11 drivers and you can hear everything. Only thing it doesn't have that He1000se has is the big soundstage and orchestra size tone of the HiFiMan. For incisiveness and cutting edge details, the Odin wins. Bass is what make me smile. Can a tiny device make such astounding bass? It sure can. Not the Audeze LCD4 kind of bass but nevertheless impressive for an iem.

Banish the thought of the iem. Saving my money for an Abyss 1266 TC or Susvara.
IMG_2498.jpg

Jul 31, 2021 at 3:40 AM Post #2,541 of 7,481
A most interesting day listening to Rock Classic from Apple Music in lossless format. I remember listening to Summer of 69 with He1000se and Elekit 8200 and thinking to myself that it's really good.

Imagine my surprise when I swap to Oblivion. Now this is an awakening. There's a sweetness at the top end with amply voiced mids and bass. This did sound better to my ears. :)

Last to listen to is Destiny. This is where Oblivion and Destiny do what they do best. Destiny's mids and bass is a moving experience while Oblivion is just more linear through out and I'm almost certain that Oblivion is more tubey now than when I first had it. :)

Jul 31, 2021 at 4:28 AM Post #2,542 of 7,481
A most interesting day listening to Rock Classic from Apple Music in lossless format
Didn't know Apple music did lossless, is that for listening or downloading?

Jul 31, 2021 at 4:36 AM Post #2,543 of 7,481
Empire Ears Odin with a Astell&Kern dap. Same day at Minidisc. This iem retails for 5k plus, has 11 drivers and you can hear everything. Only thing it doesn't have that He1000se has is the big soundstage and orchestra size tone of the HiFiMan
Yep, soundstage can't be done with iem's IMO. Have you tried the HE1000SE direct from the Astell and Kern?

Banish the thought of the iem. Saving my money for an Abyss 1266 TC or Susvara.

😎✌️.

I was never comfortable with IEM's, painful after a while, not to mention kept dropping out!

Jul 31, 2021 at 4:40 AM Post #2,544 of 7,481
By doing so, I avoid ALL the problems of computers and the software players, and interconnect/USB cables, spdif adapters...etc and all their associated jitter issues.
😯🙂😛

So your Holo Spring DAC is no more?

😭.

Jul 31, 2021 at 4:59 AM Post #2,545 of 7,481
Have you tried the HE1000SE direct from the Astell and Kern?

No. My iPhone can drive the He1000se but until you experience that headphone with the likes of Oblivion, Destiny and Elekit TU-8200, you wouldn't know what it can do.

For that matter He1000se sounded really good with v280, Taurus and Questyle CMA 12 but I just prefer it with a tube amp.

Jul 31, 2021 at 5:48 AM Post #2,546 of 7,481
😯🙂😛
You are right, but many of the aforementioned problems can be solved with a JCAT Femto USB card externally powered and a decent USB cable. I do this, works flawlessly.

Jul 31, 2021 at 10:44 AM Post #2,548 of 7,481
Jul 31, 2021 at 11:14 AM Post #2,549 of 7,481
@UntilThen
Here's the completed Odyssey, finally!

DSC_0083.JPG

DSC_0087.JPG

DSC_0089.JPG

DSC_0090.JPG

DSC_0094.JPG

DSC_0096.JPG

I'll let it cook for two days then ship it to you Matt!

that is beautiful!
cant find it on your website. is this a build to order?
any price/specs available?

Jul 31, 2021 at 1:06 PM Post #2,550 of 7,481
What a beauty sonic!
:).
Thanks baron!
that is beautiful!
cant find it on your website. is this a build to order?
any price/specs available?
Thanks Roasty!

Right, there's no pics yet on the website. Odyssey is a custom SET build. This particular amp has the following add-ons:

- Sowter transformers

- Ability to choose between a dual triode driver tube or EL11 drivers.

- Several inputs with selector switch

- Yamamoto sockets

- Triode/Ultralinear switch

Output tube is KT88 with lots of rolling options.

Power output is about 15W in triode mode and 20W in Ultralinear mode into 8 ohms.

Contact me for price and options :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back