Obligitory noob questions
Jan 4, 2004 at 6:13 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Shaan

New Head-Fier
I'm new to this forum and to headphones in general and I am in need a new set of 'phones. Most of the use will be attached to my iBook and my iPod (as soon as I get one) >
smily_headphones1.gif
I prefer circumcaural because of the size and shape of my ears, otherwise I'd be all over Grados. My music styles range from rock to hip hop to electronic to jazz. I've considered the Hd590's because I read they fair well umamped but I'm not sure if i'd be better off with a closed one, because i dont want alot of sound leaking in. Well thank you in advance for your opinions and comments.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 4, 2004 at 6:51 PM Post #3 of 6
Welcome to Head-Fi, sorry about your wallet.

A couple other questions- Is there a price range you're trying to stay in? How portable do they need to be (size, isolation already sort of addressed, etc.)?

If you don't have a problem with in canal phones (I know your comments were mostly concerning full-sized), Etymotic and Shure have several models. They ER4P/S sounds great with the iPod, though I'm curious about E3C once it's a little more distributed.

Also you may find this recent thread of use.

Jan 4, 2004 at 6:56 PM Post #4 of 6
Ultrasone HFI-650 Trackmasters offer decent isolation and sound really nice... You can use them with portables without problems, and since the iBook/iPod are not very weak sources, you shouldn't have any problems. I really like to use them, even if I'm outdoors/traveling/etc. If you have a small head, however, it's possible that you will look slightly freaky while wearing them
smily_headphones1.gif
. However, if I were you, I wouldn't spend that much money if I had no opportunity to try them before.

Many people seem to like the Sony V6/7506 too, and they are quite a bit cheaper than the Ultrasones.

Jan 4, 2004 at 8:15 PM Post #5 of 6
Due to the fact that i am fairly financially impaired i'd like to keep it under $200. I'm also not a fan of in ear styled headphones as they tend to irritate my ears. Portability isnt a huge issue but durability is as they will be carried along in my backpack with my ibook Thanks
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back