Objective 2 (O2) vs Magni 2
Mar 5, 2015 at 8:18 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

cj42

Head-Fier
Hello,

I'm considering a budget desktop amp, and I'm debating between these 2. I couldn't find any comparisons, unfortunately, so I'm creating this thread.
Did anybody compare them? costs aside, are there any reasons to get one and not the other? I remember reading that people preferred O2 over the original Magni because of the gain switch and less channel imbalance for low impedance headphones, but apparently the issue got fixed in Magni 2.

Thanks.

Mar 5, 2015 at 8:41 AM Post #2 of 8
As far as I know several blind tests has shown that they sound very similar. I'd just go with the cheapest or the one you think looks best.

Mar 5, 2015 at 12:31 PM Post #5 of 8
As far as I know several blind tests has shown that they sound very similar. I'd just go with the cheapest or the one you think looks best.

I agree. I think I'd evaluate price and other factors, not try to tease out potential differences in sonic quality.

For instance, I found the O2's front panel interface a little too crowded and would prefer the interface of the Magni 2. But the O2 wins on transportability since it can be battery powered. Too big for one's pocket, but not too big to throw in a laptop messenger bag for use with a laptop on the go. Another plus for the O2 is that if you buy from JDS Labs, you can have them configure the gain setup to suit your headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back