Objecshiiiiioon!
Dec 10, 2006 at 3:32 AM Post #5 of 7
But there maybe complications. It's not an invertible function like in math.

Why is there always so much secrecy on head-fi about these matters? Why is PinkFloyd a member of the trade all of a sudden? Head-fi is superbly run, so I suppose it is a requirement of this. Ah well. Curiosity did kill the cat.

[edit] and yes, I do realise that there is a to-do list for the mods, and one of them was 'make pinkfloyd a MotT', as posted in the lottery thread.

Dec 10, 2006 at 3:34 AM Post #6 of 7
Ahhh... I hate threads with EDITs... makes me so curious.

Dec 10, 2006 at 4:36 AM Post #7 of 7
As mbriant said in another thread about this, there is a backlog of folks who meet the rules that have defined Members of the Trade since around 2002/2003 on Head-Fi. We're just getting around to catching up to tag these individuals.

What's in question here, as far as I'm concerned, isn't whether or not he is a Member of the Trade by the definitions we've used for years, but whether or not PinkFloyd likes it, and clearly he doesn't.

The section in the Rules defining it: Quote:

Originally Posted by Head-Fi's Rules/Terms of Use
"Member of the Trade" includes (but is not limited to) manufacturers; individuals selling items he or she made for more than the cost of parts and/or actual shipping charges; individuals selling items acquired for the primary purpose of resale; individuals performing services (like modifications or any other service) for which the price charged is more than the cost of parts and/or actual shipping charges; dealers; distributors; manufacturer's representatives; importers; magazine and e-zine writers.

As it was in 2003: Quote:

Originally Posted by Head-Fi's Rules/Terms of Use (circa 2003)
"Member of the Trade" includes manufacturers, individuals selling items he or she made for more than the cost of parts and/or actual shipping charges, individuals performing services (like modifications or any other service) for which the price charged is more than the cost of parts and/or actual shipping charges, dealers, distributors, manufacturer's representatives, importers, magazine and e-zine writers and others.

And on PinkFloyd's website, he offers a plethora of products/services. Examples:[size=xx-small] Quote:

X-Series Modding service now available! please e-mail me for details

New! X-Series Ultrafast diode upgrade kit

Little Pinkie V3 PSU (X-CAN V3)

Little Pinkie V2 PSU (X-CAN V2)

Accessories Page (Components etc.)

X-CANS upgrade kit now available

X-CAN V3 upgrade kit now available

X-Can V2 upgrade kit now available

X-10D upgrade kit now available

X-10D recapping & phono replacement

X-10D V3 recapping and heatsinking

X-Can V3 Capacitor upgrade....

[/size]....and many more.

On his own website, the following lines are among his rules/terms of use for his forum (emphasis added by me): Quote:

DO NOT SELL DIY PRODUCTS HERE (directly or indirectly)

That includes circuit boards, cables, components, headphones, amplifiers, well.. anything!

No profit making enterprise shall be allowed unless with express permission and posts deemed to be outwith these rules shall be deleted.

This includes individuals selling or promoting items he or she made whether directly or indirectly through a third party. If you have mods similar to the mods contained [here] please do not post about them / promote them here. Use your own form of advertising / website and do not use this forum as a springboard for your products.

So, on his own discussion forum, he is expressly forbidding the promotion of products/services that compete with those he offers.

Actually, I think that it's great that he offers the services/products that he offers, but it does make him a Member of the Trade here.

Some folks have been asking repeatedly for their Member of the Trade tag (and, for those who have, we're going to get to you soon), and others don't like it (as in this case).

To the best of my knowledge, no Moderator has asked PinkFloyd to withdraw his "lottery." From what I understand, he is doing so in protest to being tagged as a Member of the Trade.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back