Obesity - Is it a huge health problem? Maybe not...
Sep 20, 2006 at 2:37 AM Post #76 of 81
Quote:

Originally Posted by plainsong
I just love the opinions of the learned doctor and med school types, reciting what their text books tell them, and indeed having those opinions confirmed by what they see come through the doors on a daily basis. They're good with warning us about the consequences, but not so hot on the prevention. You tell me all the horrible stuff that is in store for me, but you have no answer for when I tell you my lifestyle is as healthy as the next person's.

You might tell me that all my doctors have been wrong, I'm not healthy, or you might say that obviously there's something else going on and I need to be poked and prodded and tested. What if I say I don't have time for that crap, and if it ain't broke then don't fix it. It's not like my weight can't descrease with more physical activity, but I either have to be at crazy levels of activity, or eating 100 calories a day, one of which isn't happening right now, and the other of which will never ever happen.

One doctor had this theory that perhaps you're less likely to have these problems if (and only if) you're otherwise fairly healthy, and if you've carried it most of your life. It was only an opinion though, based on what he's seen. Hardly fact, or hardly something to base your medical advice on.

I think that while living a healthy lifestyle is obviously a good idea, there's no blanket answer that will magically have everyone weighing 120lbs.

And if a site that questions medical authoritah is run by a fat person, then so the hell what? What does weight have to do with the validity of the opinion? You can point out a "fat" bias, but then again, thin bias is just ok.
wink.gif

edit - I just wanted to add here that this isn't based on my personal experience with doctors, as it's been largely positive. But you always hear about doctors with their own biases and hang-ups, and people are people, so it's not surprising when you read posts here by the more medical types, how judgemental they come across. I wouldn't want a doctor like that treating me for anything. When you're a doctor, someone comes to you for help, not for judgement. Whether the illness is a result of the patient's lifestyle or not, passing judgement and assigning blame won't make it magically go away. It just adds stress and resentment on both sides. If someone comes through your doors early enough, showing some warning signs, but open minded and treatable, then for heaven's sakes help them, don't judge them and talk slack about them once they leave. If someone comes in with some already advanced problems, then at least they're there. All you can do is treat them, try to point them on the right path, and hope they follow through. Sneering at them as they leave won't help any.

The reason I mention this is that it sounds like a lot of these obsese patients are being judged and condemmed the second they walk through the door, and yet you expect them to look the other way, not notice it, and do as they're told and come back next week having lost 200lbs. Don't you know this is why they avoid going to the doctor?? Who wants to go somewhere and be looked down upon, pre-judged, talked down to, and despised as soon as they walked in?

It must really add a lot of stress to an already stressful job to keep judging all your patients.

I say you might wanna bring it down a notch and stopped getting so worked up over a thread on the internet. Or your blood pressure and stress levels are gonna peak out..
wink.gif

Sep 20, 2006 at 3:13 AM Post #77 of 81
You know what Plainsong ~ just give it up. If these guys are not just saying stuff to stir up emotions - I feel terribly sorry for them. And if they genuinely feel this way no amount of common sense will change their idiotic thinking! I get riled up too by just reading such stupidity = because I see kids living the results of it every day. But I'll take my non=bullying lessons to my classrooms & hope I can teach my kids better than someone taught these guys.
frown.gif

Sep 20, 2006 at 8:49 AM Post #78 of 81
Quote:

Originally Posted by micaela
You know what Plainsong ~ just give it up. If these guys are not just saying stuff to stir up emotions - I feel terribly sorry for them. And if they genuinely feel this way no amount of common sense will change their idiotic thinking! I get riled up too by just reading such stupidity = because I see kids living the results of it every day. But I'll take my non=bullying lessons to my classrooms & hope I can teach my kids better than someone taught these guys.
frown.gif

Yeah, I know, and I understand fully where Philodox was coming from, just putting out an opposing viewpoint, and it gets all twisted into this hate thing. Not everyone went there obviously, but you have to scratch your head a bit at those that did. As for turning it down a notch, LOL - I hadn't turned it up. If you want to go to a Doctor who doesn't give you the respect as a human being that he/she would accord themselves, then I feel sorry for you. You deserve better treatment than that.

FWIW - if you want to talk about what goes on in the classroom, at my high school, bullying was uncool. If you want to be popular, stick up for someone who's getting picked on. That's how it was. I'm not saying all the cliques inter-mingled, but bullys were frowned upon. That was one of the better trends that we all just took completely for granted. It just seemed like common sense.

Sep 20, 2006 at 2:00 PM Post #79 of 81
I'm not sure how pointing out the fact that obesity or rotundness is usually but not always the fault of the individual is considered hateful. It definitely goes against the pc viewpoint of this world where nothing is the fault of the individual but hateful, I think not. If people enjoy being larger than so be it, but I think these "hateful" reactions that everyone keeps talking about are simply coming from individuals that are tired of others making excuses for what a little common sense could easily answer. A good diet and some exercise will keep you at your ideal weight, whatever that is. If you're mad at society for creating unrealistic notions of beauty and for prejudging the rotund, get over it; they aren't changing in the near future. If you truly believe that big is beautiful than society's views shouldn't bother you.

As to the link itself. First, without any actual expertise as a researcher, it's difficult to comment on the article and I'm too lazy to search around the internet for a rebuttal. Second, as others have said in this thread, obesity and its side effects are complicated so for those who want to believe that obesity isn't harmful, it certainly is possible to do so with "research".

Sep 20, 2006 at 4:50 PM Post #80 of 81
I've always thought that the health problem associated with obesity isn't necessarily the fact that obese people are obese; it's what the things they've been eating that have made them obese are also doing to them internally.

Sep 20, 2006 at 5:52 PM Post #81 of 81
Quote:

Originally Posted by ilovesocks
I've always thought that the health problem associated with obesity isn't necessarily the fact that obese people are obese; it's what the things they've been eating that have made them obese are also doing to them internally.

A person could has a fair amount of body fat but is still healthy in the usual medical terms. Conversely a person who reduces his/her body fat by means of liposuction is not necessarily free of obesity related health problems. What really matters is a healthy life style, not the weight or body fat itself.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back