Oasis shines again
Mar 16, 2002 at 4:31 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

zoboomofo

1000+ Head-Fier
I heard the latest Oasis single, Hindu Times, on the radio t'other day. Its much more remarkable than the singles from their last 2 albums. Its got some of that fun in the sun magic that their first album had. I like it, and I'm happy to see them regain their form. One nitpick I have is Liam's voice; it sounds even rougher. Too much coke I guess
wink.gif

Mar 16, 2002 at 6:23 AM Post #2 of 15
LOL, i like Liam when he's whiny. I used to be a huge Oasis fan until 'standing...' was released. Hopefully this new album will be more like their first two albums.

Mar 16, 2002 at 3:39 PM Post #4 of 15
Hey Fortune,

Definitely Maybe, their 1st, sounds fine.

(Whats the story) Morning Glory? is a great album, but sounds awful (still worth it though).

Be Here Now, their "controversial" third album (its overproduced) sounds better than WTSMG? but also has this compressed sound (everything sounds squashed together).

The Masterplan: collection of B sides, sounds just fine!

Standing on the shoulders of Giants: hated it, don't recall sound quality.

I would recomment their first, second and the B sides cds. If you like all three a lot go ahead and pick up Be here now, i really do like the album, but its a little more thick (distortion wise) in the guitar work.
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 17, 2002 at 4:20 AM Post #6 of 15
I haven't got the Masterplan cd, but I do have a couple cd singles. The Wonderwall one sounds fine, and much better than the Morning Glory album. I'd have to agree that Morning Glory sounds brutal by the way. Good tunes though! I love Roll With It. It'd be nice to see some remasters of these albums. I've heard for myself how nice they can sound, so its a worthwhile release.

Mar 17, 2002 at 4:54 AM Post #7 of 15
Quote:

Originally posted by Fortune
Thanks for the info gloco; I sure do love expanding the collection
smily_headphones1.gif

Sure, let us know what you think of them!

George
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 17, 2002 at 4:54 AM Post #8 of 15
Hey zoboomofo,

Are you saying the cd single version sounds better than the album?
confused.gif

Mar 17, 2002 at 5:04 AM Post #9 of 15
Yes, that's exactly what I'm saying. The album has no dynamics, and always sounds too quiet while being compressed at the same time. The cd single has better headroom and sounds louder. The treble is better too. There is bass, and it doesn't sound all that harsh either. This single reminds me of the days when I used to make tape copies of some of my songs. When I taped off of the Morning Glory cd, the peak level meter was the lowest on any of my cds. The cd single peak was on par with the rest of my cds. My guess is that there wasn't enough gain on the album.

Mar 17, 2002 at 5:12 AM Post #10 of 15
One more thing. Somebody mentioned on an earlier thread how the peak levels on Morning Glory never moved. This is true. The cd single would always make the LEDs dance up and down though. I guess this would explain the improved dynamics and bass.

Mar 17, 2002 at 3:12 PM Post #11 of 15
Cool, looks like i'm gonna have to buy the single and take a listen
wink.gif

Mar 18, 2002 at 12:48 AM Post #13 of 15
I think the comments about recording levels/peaks and sound in general have to be put in perspective. Oasis uses heavy feedback effects, producing a constant roar or wall of sound effect
so I think the recordings are not that bad, just a reaction to the music style which is not going to give you those "audiophile" moments.

I thought their latest CD, "standing", was pretty good even though the critics panned it, its basically the same style as their previous CDs, well worth getting.

I have to agree with Ray that their Singles/B side/outtake collection, "masterpaln" may be close to their best CD. If only Radiohead would do this with the non album songs from
Bends/OK Computer sessions, it also maybe thier best CD if you go by stuff from Iron Lung/Airbag EPs.

Mar 18, 2002 at 1:21 AM Post #14 of 15
Wow, a true fan you are Dark Angel. You bought Standing...
biggrin.gif
? (just kidding). I never thought about a Radiohead b-sides, but that would definitely make my day. I just bought myself a legit copy of the My Iron Lung EP. It looks like they've rereleased the 8 track (that's 8 songs as opposed to the cartridge format
wink.gif
) version and made it readily available in Canada. God I love that cd!

Mar 18, 2002 at 5:28 AM Post #15 of 15
Quote:

Originally posted by DarkAngel
I think the comments about recording levels/peaks and sound in general have to be put in perspective. Oasis uses heavy feedback effects, producing a constant roar or wall of sound effect
so I think the recordings are not that bad, just a reaction to the music style which is not going to give you those "audiophile" moments.

I'm going to have to disagree, i think WTSMG? was just poorly recorded. For example, the instrumental track "the swamp song" is featured in WTSMG? for a minute or so, and sounds like ****, then the complete track is featured in The Masterplan and sounds crystal clear. What gives?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back