Oasis fans-- know about the La's?
Nov 12, 2002 at 3:58 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

markl

Hangin' with the monkeys.
Member of the Trade: Lawton Audio
That is "The Lads" pronounced and spelled "the La's" as they're from Liverpool, England (home of the Beatles). This band is best known for its early '90's "hit", "There She Goes" as covered lately by the Christian rock band Sixpence None the Richer. Are they aware that the song is about heroin? Hmmm.....

Anyway, The La's are a classic case of eccentric-genius-leader-goes-ape-**** -after-major-label-debut-syndrome, in this case, one Lee Mavers. They are essentially a working-class rock band that had a lot to do with paving the way for Oasis. This will either recommend them to you or put you off...

Their major label album "The La's" has recently been re-mastered and was originally produced by Steve Lillywhite of U2/Simple Minds/Big Country et al fame. Lee Mavers did not like the results ("too polished and professional") and would not support the album that the label forced them to release. Nevertheless, despite the intentions of the band's leader, this is one hell of a record. This is simple pop music expertly executed.

Sadly, Mavers has tried many times since this album to get a new La's going but his illness keeps them from gaining momentum. Too bad. Our loss.

Anyone else remember the La's?

Mark

Nov 12, 2002 at 5:16 AM Post #2 of 11
Hey Mark, that's one of my favorites and I agree with everything you say. I picked up the remaster last year and it's a significant improvement over the original US release. Not night and day but definitely better in all respects with no downside as is often the case with remasters. And 5 bonus tracks too. Only cost about $8 from Canada. If you want to read some of my comments about the album in general they are posted at http://forums14.consumerreview.com/c...4@@.eec3f78/34 and some comments about the remaster are posted at http://forums14.consumerreview.com/crforum?14@@.ef63033

BTW, that Geraldine Fibbers album is a big favorite too :)

Dave

Nov 12, 2002 at 5:27 AM Post #3 of 11
Rock on Davey!! Maybe PM me, we could share "lost classics".

Mark

Nov 12, 2002 at 5:50 AM Post #4 of 11
Thanks for reminding me about them! I used to TRY to sing & play along with all the guitar riffs while listening to it! Albeit with much teeth grinding from my fellow flatmates! Hehehe!

The 1st album was & still is their best effort IMO
tongue.gif

Nov 12, 2002 at 7:12 AM Post #5 of 11
I've had "The La's" since it was first released back in 89 or 90. I loved that album at the time, and I still listen to it every once in a while -- some cheesy tracks, but a lot of great ones. My favorites:

Son Of A Gun
I Can't Sleep
Timeless Melody
Liberty Ship
There She Goes
Looking Glass

I didn't realize there was a remaster; thanks for clueing me in
smily_headphones1.gif

P.S. "There She Goes" was also covered by the Boo Radleys back in 93 (I think that was the year).

Nov 12, 2002 at 2:36 PM Post #6 of 11
Is it just me or do the La's sound a lot like 60's era Rolling Stones? I have this Britpop CD (remastered with 5 bonus tracks) unfortunately they vanished after 1 album and thier popularity quickly overshadowed by the giants that are Oasis.

I did read somewhere that the Gallagher brothers (oasis) thought very highly of the La's album.

Popularity of La's was probably helped by success of Stone Roses at that time (1990)

Nov 12, 2002 at 6:20 PM Post #7 of 11
Quote:

Originally posted by DarkAngel
Popularity of La's was probably helped by success of Stone Roses at that time (1990)

You think? But their sounds are so different...

Nov 14, 2002 at 2:25 AM Post #8 of 11
The bass player from the La's, John Power exited the band and formed his own BritPop band called Cast. Their debut album entitled All Change (1995) was produced by John Leckie, who also produced The Stone Roses, The Verve and Radiohead.

Like markl said:
Killer band + great producer (John Leckie) = Modern Classic.

Nov 14, 2002 at 2:34 AM Post #9 of 11
A weezer fan, I see burndtjamb... me too.

My comment was in relation to a different CD... Radiohead "The Bends". From what I've read (I'm in the States, but I spend a ridiculous amount each month on all the vastly superior Brit rock mags-- Uncut, Mojo, Q), Cast is not that highly regarded. Do you have this CD and is it worth tracking down (As I recall it's called "All Change")?

Nevertheless-- John Leckie friggin' rules!!

Mark

Nov 14, 2002 at 3:01 AM Post #10 of 11
markl,

Yes I have the CD and yes it is worth getting if you're into that kind of pop. All Change was released in 1995 and produced UK hits like Finetime, Alright, Sandstorm and Walkaway. I never really followed them after that and neither did everyone else apparently. Their subsequent albums failed to make the same dent that their debut album did.

Try to download some mp3s of the songs I mentioned above first to see if you like them and let me know what you think.

(BTW, I can't wait to hear the new songs =w= are cookin up in the studio.)

Nov 14, 2002 at 3:10 AM Post #11 of 11
burntjamb,
Are you an XTC fan by any chance? They've worked with Leckie on a couple of psychadelic side projects called Dukes of Stratosphere. That aside, I think you'd really like XTC.. They have a long-term fantical fanbase (including me) here in the States. Maybe bigger in the UK than here in the States. Their albums have recently been re-mastered and they sound just amazing. PM me if you're curious, I'd be happy to reco a few XTC albums to you... A great group, often compared to the Beatles with good reason.

Mark

Users who are viewing this thread

Back