O2 or Asgard for ATH-3000ANV and HD650
Dec 18, 2012 at 4:50 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

billbro

New Head-Fier
So I just went ballistic the last few days and picked up:
ATH-3000ANV
Senn Momentum
Senn HD650

I had previously just been running off portable cans/IEMs, so I'm now in desperate need of an amp. Some really helpful headfi'ers already gave me suggestions on a few all-in-one's, but after some more extensive reading it appears as though a DAC should be the least of my worries.

In my mind at the moment I'm looking for a neutral/balanced amp to act as a bit of a counterbalance to the HD 650 and 3000ANV. You could say my musical tastes are varied from classical to metal, but that probably doesn't help much.

I'm looking to spend around $500 on an amp and after a lot of browsing I can't really decide between the O2 or the Asgard. I've tentatively ruled out the Valhalla and the HA-160 (though wouldn't mind supporting an Aussie brand). So any thoughts on any amps in general or your opinion on the O2 or Asgard to drive the HD650 and 3000ANV would be much appreciated.

Also, as more of less a complete newb to the whole desktop/home audio space - any other odds and ends I need to pick up? I presume at the very least I'll need some cables (e.g. FiiO L9 to use my iPhone as the source or a USB to something... to run it out of my PC).

I know there are other threads on this and I've read them, though there hasn't been much that is definitive. Seems more like a lot of debate based on the creds/reps of the two brands above.

Dec 18, 2012 at 5:06 AM Post #2 of 11
O2, transparent sound, will drive most headphones, it even drives the Beyerdynamic T1

Dec 18, 2012 at 12:03 PM Post #4 of 11
Most will kill me for this, but I really don't like the 650, it sounded too warm and thick/veiled, I much prefer detail and accuracy

Dec 18, 2012 at 1:51 PM Post #6 of 11
If you plan to use your computer as a source, you'll either need a sound card that you're happy with, or run audio output from your computer through a USB DAC to feed your amp.  I think for cost of entry, a pre built ODAC and O2 amp is a decent and inexpensive neutral set up for just under $250 in total. 

Dec 18, 2012 at 1:57 PM Post #7 of 11
I've got the O2 for my 650s, sounds...good, I guess. Doesn't add much flavor but brings them up to potential. I'm most excited to try out the modi/magni combo I've got on the way. If you're not in a rush it might be worth waiting for people's thoughts on that rig with the 650s.

Dec 18, 2012 at 4:36 PM Post #8 of 11
Did a lot more reading last night, so will be picking up the O2 and odac, going to need some 6.3 to 3.5 adapters as well - though the HD650 should come with one.

What cables do I need to hook up the input to the odac? Is the supplied USB to mini cable enough or am I going to need a USB to 3.5mm?

Dec 18, 2012 at 5:44 PM Post #9 of 11
Quote:
Did a lot more reading last night, so will be picking up the O2 and odac, going to need some 6.3 to 3.5 adapters as well - though the HD650 should come with one.

What cables do I need to hook up the input to the odac? Is the supplied USB to mini cable enough or am I going to need a USB to 3.5mm?

The HD-650 comes with a 6.3mm to 3.5mm adapter.

To connect the ODAC, the supplied USB cable or any other will work. To use the O2 part of an ODAC+O2 combo all by itself, You use the 3.5mm connector on the front.

Dec 18, 2012 at 8:15 PM Post #10 of 11
hamilcarbarca,

Thanks mate, I'll need an adapter in the interim for the W3000 since my HD650 won't arrive until the 31st.

I'm buying the O2 and odac as separate units from JDS, as I want the option of batteries so I've picked up the FiiO L2 interconnect.

Also purchased the L9 to run audio through the iP4.

Looks like I'm more or less sorted, except for the resounding lack of knowledge still - lots more reading to do :frowning2:

Dec 18, 2012 at 8:42 PM Post #11 of 11
Quote:
hamilcarbarca,

Thanks mate, I'll need an adapter in the interim for the W3000 since my HD650 won't arrive until the 31st.

I'm buying the O2 and odac as separate units from JDS, as I want the option of batteries so I've picked up the FiiO L2 interconnect.

Also purchased the L9 to run audio through the iP4.

Looks like I'm more or less sorted, except for the resounding lack of knowledge still - lots more reading to do
frown.gif

It's the combo (HD-650, anyway) I used for a while. It was great. I wanted to try the W3000, but the price wasn't appealing.

My only recommendation is to spend more time listening and reading about listening.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back