o2+ODAC combo ODAC output- switched jack or not?
Dec 13, 2017 at 5:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

100+ Head-Fier
I installed a switched 3.5mm jack on the output of the ODAC with the switch contacts going to O2, It works fine but the jack is really flimsy and causes a lot of cracks and pops when moved at all. I have a standard 3.5mm jack thats really high quality that I could use but im wondering how important the switch is.

the ODAC would be connected to an unpowered O2's input and the input of the external amp Im using without the switch.

Would this matter?

Dec 21, 2017 at 2:38 PM Post #2 of 2
The regular Odac/O2 config is as follows:

The O2's input is switched by the line in jack, whereby when nothing is plugged in, the odac is connected to the O2's circuit (and the dac's own line out, out back). When something is plugged into the line in jack of the O2, the odac's output is disconnected, therefore leaving it only outputtins signal to that line out jack out back again.

From my conversations with JDS Labs and with MayFlower, in this config, it's hignly suggested that you plug some dummy connector into the O2 line in when using the Odac's line out for an external amp - this stops the O@ fram acting as a (albiet very very small) sink for your dac signal, by physically disconnecting it completely so it's not in parallel with your external amp.

Id say that if you can get the switched output working, keep it. if you can't - it won't make a big difference, but I don't believe it will be negligible. I'm glad mine has it, and I'd suggest to anyone that's planning on getting one to ensure that they get the switched line in option so that they can dedicate the output of a reference dac completely to their desired sink.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back