O2 headphone amp JDS labs - best gain setting?
Apr 22, 2015 at 2:24 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Captain Needa

New Head-Fier
Hi there,
I have a JDS labs ODAC and was thinking of getting an O2 headphone amp to go with it.  I noticed on JDS Labs website you can choose a particular set of gain settings when you buy the amp:

2.5x low position and 6.5x high position
1.0x low, 3.5 high
1.0x low, 2.5 high 

The website says:

"the dual gain button allows you to select between low or high amplification. Default gain levels of Objective2 are intended to work well with most headphones and audio sources on the market. Gain will be configured to 2.5x low position and 6.5x high position. When using O2 with a 2VRMS DAC, such as O2+ODAC, we recommend Medium Gain (1.0x, 3.5x)"

Currently I own Etymotic H5 in-ear headphones, as well as Meelectronics M9s.  I might at some point buy some full-size headphones, maybe the Audio-Technica ATH-M50s, but most of the time I'll probably still be using in-ears.

I also have some M-Audio BX5 D2 studio monitor speakers, but I assume its best to plug those directly into the DAC?

I tend to prefer moderate volumes for listening.

Anyhow, what gain setting would you folks recommend for me?

Apr 22, 2015 at 7:46 PM Post #4 of 6
  I have a JDS labs ODAC and was thinking of getting an O2 headphone amp to go with it.  I noticed on JDS Labs website you can choose a particular set of gain settings when you buy the amp:
 2.5x low position and 6.5x high position
1.0x low, 3.5 high
1.0x low, 2.5 high 
The website says:
"the dual gain button allows you to select between low or high amplification. Default gain levels of Objective2 are intended to work well with most headphones and audio sources on the market. Gain will be configured to 2.5x low position and 6.5x high position. When using O2 with a 2VRMS DAC, such as O2+ODAC, we recommend Medium Gain (1.0x, 3.5x)"
Currently I own Etymotic H5 in-ear headphones, as well as Meelectronics M9s.  I might at some point buy some full-size headphones, maybe the Audio-Technica ATH-M50s, but most of the time I'll probably still be using in-ears.
I also have some M-Audio BX5 D2 studio monitor speakers, but I assume its best to plug those directly into the DAC?
I tend to prefer moderate volumes for listening.
Anyhow, what gain setting would you folks recommend for me?

Might as well stick to the default settings.
Unless you really have a good reason for picking one of the other settings, which I'm assuming you you do not have.
My O2 came with default settings, which work fine with all my headphones.

Apr 22, 2015 at 11:28 PM Post #5 of 6
This video helped me a lot when deciding what gain toggles I wanted:

https://youtu.be/_HhxihBuI14?t=6m28s

In the end I decided to go with 1.0x and 3.5x gain.  I have a pair of ATH-M50's and the o2 can run them with ease at 1.0x gain.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back