O2 headamp output booster & modification PCB
Mar 17, 2014 at 10:36 AM Post #16 of 21
I am impressed by the idea behing the booster board. But has anyone been able to tell if there is an actual difference that the board makes in SQ? IOW how noticeable is the difference?

BG

If you ask me, it begins to sound less *digital*, and certain details begin to crop up. That's only a few of the improvements that were immediately noticeable.

It certainly improved my experience with my HD650s, which pairs like marmite with the O2: "some people hate it, some people love it".

As for an objective means of showing it, I'm afraid I do not know where I can find those measurement chart thingies people love so much.

Apr 18, 2014 at 10:06 PM Post #18 of 21
  Wasn't it mentioned on the blog that njm4556 are rated 70 mA each but can actually sink/source 100 mA of current if need be?

8x reduction in THD is really impressive!

That is right about the chip current source/sink and the same sort of situation exists for the O2 booster board.  The 70mA figure is continuous - assuming the DIP8 package heat dissipation limits are not exceeded - while the 100mA is for short periods.  But that is how music works out anyway of course, the whole "music power" issue where the peaks in music are often 2 or 3 times higher than the average. 

I tend to be on the conservative side and use 60mA for the continous figure for those NJM4556A chips.  He is pulling that number off a graph in the NJM4556A datasheet and not a table, so there is a bit of graph-reading wiggle room there.

With the booster board the LME49600 output chips are rated at 250mA continous and can actually do that from a heat sinking standpoint on the board.  At the project's Google Drive link I have some photos of the board being tested to the limits at 250mA by powering a 8 ohm desktop bookshelf speaker, something it would never be expected to do normally.   In those photos I have a thermocouple on the chips reading the case temperature.

BUT... the problem here is the voltage regulators in the O2 headamp which are not heatsinked.  So although the booster board output chips could handle that much current steady state, the O2's voltage regulators would fry.   In those O2 booster board maximum load test photos I have the O2's power supply bypassed and the booster board fed directly with a +/-15Vdc lab power supply for that reason.

So what it all means is that just like those NJM4556A chips's 100mA peaks, the O2 booster board can do 250mA peaks for short periods - musical peaks - but steady state is more around 180mA due to the O2's unheatsinked voltage regulators.

That THD reduction is as per the chip data sheets.  THD is worse on the high frequency (20kHz) end of things, so that part of the chip THD graphs winds up as the limiting factor.  Now whether that additional reduction in THD is actually audible - well that is for all of you guys with ears a lot better than mine to report one way or the other!
regular_smile .gif

May 1, 2014 at 8:52 PM Post #19 of 21
FYI....

agdr had put together a "what am ODA might have been project" over at DIYAUDIO.COM

He has boards for sale and several people are building them, me included.

I have my board 95% complete.

Here is a look at the board.....when I get it done and completely working I will post in a separate thread.

Alex

Oct 22, 2014 at 6:38 PM Post #20 of 21
Looks like I'll have to take a look at adgr's ODA. 

Was interested in trying the booster board in my O2/ODAC, but since it's a combined unit, and since I'm using a 1/4" jack, I doubt there is much room for me to fit in the booster board at all...

Oct 10, 2016 at 9:46 PM Post #21 of 21
After building all the AGDR derivitives, the ODA, the inverting O2, and his fairly new Super Cmoys.....I got around to building the new and improved booster board's latest version 3.5!

It uses the 827 op amp which is superb and you can jumper out the O2's 1ohm output resistors to get and output impedance of "0" zero ohms!

The build is challenging with the smaller SMD parts but the result is very rewarding. I have compared it to a stock O2 and I prefer the Booster board versions sound, its clearer, cleaner, and the bass is excellent.

Alex

Users who are viewing this thread

Back