o2 DIY amp Failure
Aug 24, 2014 at 4:12 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

VelictAF

New Head-Fier
Hello everyone, depression has set in .....

My first attempt at building a headphone amp has been the worst experience of my life. I've soldered hundreds if not thousands of times before... it's literally my job.

Everything went smoothly, going component by component and finally I reached the end... and popped in the ICs.

Turned on the power, had a cheer of excitement when the LED illuminated..... and then it died as quickly as it came. I connected my headphones, and connected an RCA to male 3.5mm to my computer, my phone and a tablet to try and troubleshoot.

Alas, nothing helped. The issue is this:

I can hear sound coming from the amp, but only when it is at absolute maximum, and gain is ON. Even then, it's barely audible and super distorted.

I don't know what to do. Pics coming soon. I'll try to use an 3.5 - 3.5 aux cable instead of RCA.

I'll give it a week of troubleshooting, and if I can't figure it out, i'll give it to someone for ONLY the cost of shipping. (I'll include everything it came with. I ordered it from walter head-n-fi)

Aug 24, 2014 at 7:04 AM Post #2 of 3
If you give up that easily, you may want to find a different hobby straight away...

If not, then first:

- Short the input to ground and measure DC offset on the output
- Remove the socketed ICs and measure the supply voltages with respect to ground.

and then post here what you get.

If everything seems normal (not likely, but possible) then check your component placement again, check for unsoldered pins on the underside (yes, we've all done that) and as a last resort measure all resistor values. Pics of both sides of your board will also help (if the resolution is high enough)

If you do this and post your progress, it's very likely that someone will help you. If you give up just because something doesn't work the first time, then most likely no one will bother.

/U.

EDIT: Wrong order on the two first steps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back