O2 amp to pair with Modi or ODAC?
Jan 9, 2013 at 9:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

x9typesh

New Head-Fier
Hi,

I have an O2 amp, and I am looking for a DAC.  Is it justifiable to spend an extra $60 for the ODAC (RCA outputs) vs the Schiit Modi?  I will be using this setup with DT880 600 OHM headphones.  Are there any other DACs that I should be considering with a budget under $200?

Thanks in advance,

Jon

Jan 10, 2013 at 2:02 AM Post #2 of 6
Quote:
Hi,

I have an O2 amp, and I am looking for a DAC.  Is it justifiable to spend an extra $60 for the ODAC (RCA outputs) vs the Schiit Modi?  I will be using this setup with DT880 600 OHM headphones.  Are there any other DACs that I should be considering with a budget under $200?

Thanks in advance,

Jon

You can just get the board itself for the ODAC, and the O2 backplate if you don't want to spend too much. 
Read the threads on Schiit Modi+Magni vs ODAC + O2.

Jan 10, 2013 at 1:07 PM Post #4 of 6
Quote:
from what I have read I think the MODI is a better buy - cheaper and just on par with the ODAC - it is also more responsive to eqing

I'm curious about your comment "more responsive to eqing"....any DAC with a reasonably flat frequency response should be equally responsive, shouldn't it?

Jan 10, 2013 at 8:13 PM Post #5 of 6
Quote:

I'm curious about your comment "more responsive to eqing"....any DAC with a reasonably flat frequency response should be equally responsive, shouldn't it?

Yep. EQing in the digital domain should not affect the DAC.

Jan 17, 2013 at 8:50 PM Post #6 of 6
Hi guys,

Sorry for the late reply.  Thank you for all your input.  I'm starting to rethink my priorities.  So I took that $100 and bought a Sony BDP-S590 player.  I will just hook up an external HDD to the USB port and have its built-in DAC to do the work.  I'll be using my receiver as the amp.  I also like the fact that it will play my SACDs.  As for my desktop setup, I'll probably end up buying the Modi later since that kind of eliminates any additional DIY (and I think it looks cool lol).  I've never soldered before and this isn't a project I want to learn on.  I guess I'm gonna spend the $200 after all!

Best regards,

Jon

Users who are viewing this thread

Back