O M G @ Heroes
Apr 25, 2007 at 8:09 PM Post #18 of 82
Quote:

Originally Posted by b7nguyen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I haven't watched B5 or Heroes but am willing to give it a shot if you can answer this correctly.

Is the "new" Battle Star Galactica series one of the best shows ever???

No. The miniseries was excellent, but by the end of season 1 I was bored of BSG. The show seemed to be stuck in neutral except it was revving really fast while it was there. I didn't watch any of season 2 so I've no idea if they shifted things around a bit. I can understand much of the prise it received, its got better acting than most TV, and the characters, mostly, are pretty good without any of them being too overpowering, however the producers didnt quite seem to know what to do with them and, like Lost the whole thing was really seeming to be stretched by the end of series 1.

I didnt watch series 2 of Lost either.

Heroes is in the opposite boat, its got a first season which in all likelihood can only lead to a disappointment in the second.

Its all this that made B5 the best TV ever made. Because JMS went in with 5 seasons of material from the word go. Theres only 1 filler episode in the entire 5 series.

DS9 had many parallels with B5 in that it had an excellent overarching season plot in the Dominion war, but a combination of bloated character episodes and stretching the overarc to 3 seasons really reduced what coudl have been the finest Trek into what it was. Just more Trek.

Im still waiting for JMS to do a Deux Ex series. That would be the best thing in life.

Apr 25, 2007 at 9:08 PM Post #19 of 82
Quote:

Originally Posted by b7nguyen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I haven't watched B5 or Heroes but am willing to give it a shot if you can answer this correctly.

Is the "new" Battle Star Galactica series one of the best shows ever???

YES.

Apr 25, 2007 at 9:12 PM Post #20 of 82
Quote:

Originally Posted by Duggeh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No. The miniseries was excellent, but by the end of season 1 I was bored of BSG. The show seemed to be stuck in neutral except it was revving really fast while it was there. I didn't watch any of season 2 so I've no idea if they shifted things around a bit. I can understand much of the prise it received, its got better acting than most TV, and the characters, mostly, are pretty good without any of them being too overpowering, however the producers didnt quite seem to know what to do with them and, like Lost the whole thing was really seeming to be stretched by the end of series 1.

I didnt watch series 2 of Lost either.

Heroes is in the opposite boat, its got a first season which in all likelihood can only lead to a disappointment in the second.

Its all this that made B5 the best TV ever made. Because JMS went in with 5 seasons of material from the word go. Theres only 1 filler episode in the entire 5 series.

DS9 had many parallels with B5 in that it had an excellent overarching season plot in the Dominion war, but a combination of bloated character episodes and stretching the overarc to 3 seasons really reduced what coudl have been the finest Trek into what it was. Just more Trek.

Im still waiting for JMS to do a Deux Ex series. That would be the best thing in life.

Perhaps giving a show more of a chance than 1 season (and IMO season 1 was the best, you gave up too early, sorry to hear that...) you might like it. Lost season 2 was decent. BSG season 2 was AMAZING. Same with season 3, although it hit a mudslide halfway through, but recovered amazingly. Seriously, if you are going to be ignorant enough to criticize a TV show without seeing ALL of it perhaps you shouldnt be watching any TV shows.

BSG is a great show, and its too bad you gave up after 1 season like much of the ADHD stricken TV viewers of today..

Apr 25, 2007 at 9:26 PM Post #21 of 82
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pm@c /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Seriously, if you are going to be ignorant enough to criticize a TV show without seeing ALL of it perhaps you shouldnt be watching any TV shows.

Pardon me lod, but thats a load of crap. Stopping watching something for the reason that I find it weak is a good reason to stop watching, and my judgements were only on what I had watched. Theres NOTHING ignorant in my post. Just because someone hasnt watched Rocky 2, 3, 4, 5 and 6 doesnt mean they cant comment on Rocky 1 if they have seen it.

Apr 26, 2007 at 12:44 AM Post #22 of 82
Quote:

Originally Posted by uzziah /img/forum/go_quote.gif
why is it so endemic in tv these days to come up with a million problems and questions, and then not bother answering them? lost would be the prime offender

Erm, Heroes has been doing a good job of answering them. Every episode is a major cliffhanger, but it does move forward and not just bring more questions.

For one thing, we've seen how Peter and Claire can be disabled, and maybe even killed. It's obvious that Linderman and the Primatech guys were once buddies, and it's not only Mohinder's father who, "gets it," to the point that they can predict the scope and strength of someone's power without their having used it in such ways. We're also seeing how they will try to mess with how the future works out. Not to mention that the Primatech people rely on handful on people with special powers, rather than truly being on the ball, like Linderman, which helps explain how Claire and Horned Rimmed Glasses got to where they were in the beginning of the series...and that's just from the last episode! I also wouldn't be surprised if Linderman ends up "healing" Nikki/Jessica.

OTOH, note that I just couldn't get into Lost, ad consider B5, Twin Peaks, and Cowboy Bebop three of the best TV shows ever.

Apr 26, 2007 at 12:52 AM Post #23 of 82
Twin Peaks up there with B5? I've seen bits of it and it always looked to me like I'd need ot be on acid to appriciate it. A bit like JAM.

Apr 26, 2007 at 1:05 AM Post #24 of 82
Nah, but you do need to be warped a bit, and be OK with having even minor issues take multiple seasons to be answered. It also helps if you like your drape runners to be silent
blink.gif

Apr 26, 2007 at 4:13 AM Post #25 of 82
the question are asked during the show and are answered in the web comics...read the comics...

Apr 27, 2007 at 4:23 PM Post #29 of 82
I hate it whenver Baltar comes out in BSG, the imaginary girlfriend thing is getting a little bit ridiculous, especially with the background music.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pm@c /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Perhaps giving a show more of a chance than 1 season (and IMO season 1 was the best, you gave up too early, sorry to hear that...) you might like it. Lost season 2 was decent. BSG season 2 was AMAZING. Same with season 3, although it hit a mudslide halfway through, but recovered amazingly. Seriously, if you are going to be ignorant enough to criticize a TV show without seeing ALL of it perhaps you shouldnt be watching any TV shows.

BSG is a great show, and its too bad you gave up after 1 season like much of the ADHD stricken TV viewers of today..

Apr 27, 2007 at 4:27 PM Post #30 of 82
Just watched the latest episode, and I can't wait for the next one.

Did you know Tim Kring was a writer for Knight Rider?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back