Nylon Multifilament Help
Jan 8, 2008 at 6:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

dhw4488

New Head-Fier
I have a question about Nylon Multifilament. I am going to recable my akg k81dj's with 24 awg spc from navships. I am also going to braid 4 of the wires which will then eventually split at the y. What size nylon multifilament should i use for before the y split and after the y split?

Thanks.

Jan 8, 2008 at 7:22 PM Post #2 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by dhw4488 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have a question about Nylon Multifilament. I am going to recable my akg k81dj's with 24 awg spc from navships. I am also going to braid 4 of the wires which will then eventually split at the y. What size nylon multifilament should i use for before the y split and after the y split?

Thanks.

You can fit 4 braided wires into 1/8 multifilament but it will be very very tight. If you just twis the wires (as in a starquad cable) it will be easyer to slide them in but still a tight fit.

1/4 multifilament is better, but I consider it just a bit larger than needed. You can use a heatgun and evenly heat the covering and it will shrink just a little bit but looks much better, IMO. Maintain the heatgun about 1 feet away from the cable and SLOWlY heat it, if you put the heat to close to the cable it will burn.

After the Y joint you can easily use 1/8 over the two cables.

I hope this post isn't too confusing.

Jan 8, 2008 at 7:38 PM Post #3 of 9
Thanks for the info
redface.gif

But since you said that 1/8" will be a very tight fit and 1/4" to be a little big, what about 3/16"?

Jan 9, 2008 at 12:50 PM Post #7 of 9
Where are you buying your Nylon Multifilament? I havn't found a good source yet that carries all the different sizes.

Thx
James

Users who are viewing this thread

Back