NYC Traditonal November Meet Saturday Nov. 12th
Nov 8, 2005 at 6:31 PM Post #409 of 549
Do we have enough sources for more than 40 people? Looks to me like we'll be okay if a bunch of us are using DAPs and computers as sources. If not, we might do with a few more. I have a JVC XV-SA602, which is supposed to be decent for a cheap player, but really only does SACD well. (I hate the JVC house sound, which comes through clearly on redbook CD, but not SACD.) Or we can use it as a transport only for our DAC fest. I also have the original MSB Link DAC, unmodded and without the 96K add-on. If anyone's interested, I'll bring them.

We also might not have enough extension cords and power strips to go around.

Will anyone have internet access at the meet?

Nov 8, 2005 at 6:47 PM Post #410 of 549
Quote:

Originally Posted by zatara
Everyone is welcome. Keep a tight hold on you wallet as Ray is bringing Hornets
and you may be tempted to pick one up....

I wonder if Ray would swap one for my Ultimate Portable Rig combo? Probably not hehe.

Nov 8, 2005 at 7:25 PM Post #413 of 549
My Melos has quite a good number of available inputs so we can toss a number of DACs on there as well, and loop out to the Orpheus or whatever.

Actually we can't - the loop out is busted. But we can still passive pre-amp out, at least that bypasses the tube gain stage pre-out on there as well.

Final Tally for the Meet-

Dell PC with modded 0404 card and analog out and digital out. at this time, analog out is available for another amp. The Dell has a wifi in it, so we can post on head-fi!

Digital out will go to the DAC-AH, Stage One modifications by Lan. No, it's not done yet but even as it is I bet it will kick butt!

Melos. The Pink Russian. Ready to take on all comers.

STAX. SRM-1/MKII to SR-Lambda Pros. I'll bring the quietcool fan too so the amp won't melt.

HP2. SR325i. Go VibeV3. Did I forget anything? Oh yeah, a big honkin' vintage receiver that someone other than me is taking home!

Nov 8, 2005 at 9:12 PM Post #415 of 549
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kraegorn
I can bring my current setup:

Eastsound E5 -> Tara Labs Air 1 -> Supra -> HD650 /w Silver Dragon or Zu Mobius

Since Raisin committed on bringing his E5, which is quite heavy to lug around, let me know if dupes are allowed.

Hi Kraegorn!

siburning just mentioned that we are source-deficient, so if you can manage to bring the E5 it will definitely be put to good use. Some of us have been very interested to hear it and that would make it easier than having one unit.

Also we have the Rudistor amps (just arrived from Italy) and also a table for DACs comparisons, so it will be very good to have another good transport!

It will also be very interesting to hear the difference between HD650 w/Silver Dragon & Zu Mobius.

Nov 8, 2005 at 9:27 PM Post #416 of 549
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kraegorn
I can bring my current setup:

Eastsound E5 -> Tara Labs Air 1 -> Supra -> HD650 /w Silver Dragon or Zu Mobius

Since Raisin committed on bringing his E5, which is quite heavy to lug around, let me know if dupes are allowed.

Kraegorn...nice setup and glad you can come.

And...anyone staying at the hotel has free highspeed wireless. Anyone not staying can purchase an access #. I am waiting on a price for the group.

Nov 8, 2005 at 9:37 PM Post #417 of 549
The following is the gear I will be carrying to the meet, at this time:

[size=small]HEADPHONE AMPS:[/size]
Rudistor RP5.1 tube hybrid head amp
Rudistor NKK-02 compact tube hybrid headamp w/PS
Rudistor RP33 solid state head amp
Portaphile PV2^2 maxed (portable)
Portaphile X3 basic (portable)
Headamp AE-1 w/wall wart (portable) — jjcha's
Ray Samuels SR-71 (portable) — jjcha's
A.N.T. Amber w/wall wart — Antonik's loan

[size=small]HEADPHONES::[/size]
AKG K501
Sennheiser HD650 (stock cable)
Sennheiser PXC300 (portable/folding)
possible: Sony CD300 — sovkiller's

[size=small]POWER:[/size]
2 x Curtis SP8200TN 9-tap surge protectors
2 x 25-ft. 14gauge extension cords

[size=small]CABLES, accessories, etc.:[/size]
2 x Zu Pivot mini-to-RCA ICs 1.0m
1 x Zu Pivot mini-to-mini IC 0.5m
1 x Zu Pivot mini plug to 1/4 jack adapter
1 x Zu Oxyfuel RCA-to-RCA
1 x Moon Audio Silver Dragon 0.5m
1 x 2m Glass Toslink
1 x 1.5m Glass Toslink
1 x ELPAC WM080 24V PS (big wall wart) - stock
1 x ELPAC WM080 24V PS (big wall wart) - w/"Y" adapt-a-plugs, 1 "standard" (green) & 1 for PCMkII (pink)
1 x Maha 4x9v Powerex "Stealth" smart charger
1 x Bowmore Darkest

Nov 8, 2005 at 9:42 PM Post #418 of 549
The hotel manager just called me back, and said if we have 2 or 3 people needing highspeed wireless access, he can provide it for no charge, If it is more than that, then he will work something out.

Anyone with Bluetooth can probably find a signal.

I'll let Tyll chime in on this, because he has stayed at this hotel, previously.

Nov 8, 2005 at 9:47 PM Post #419 of 549
I'll bring the K340s that I just bought. The rest of my gear is bulky and unremarkable.

I can also bring a lot of power strips and similar stuff.

Nov 8, 2005 at 9:55 PM Post #420 of 549
I just realized joelongwood is coming. He might need his own headphone section on the equipment list.

Hey Joe! I owe you a 1/4" to mini adaptor. Maybe I'll just buy you dinnner. (I also owe someone else a conector, but don't know who.)

For the DAP/computer crowd... Is anyone interested in doing comparisons between encodings? That's what I had in mind for internet access. Maybe to download programs. It came to mind when I picked up my pocket PC and thought about converting my flac files to mp3, but I probaby need better software on it. Anyway, I'm starting to think about what music to bring, so that train of thought left the station. I'll fill up the dap with 18GB of flac, fill a 1 GB SD card with 320bit mp3 or OGG or whatever, and bring a dozen CDs.

And did I mention we need extra extension cables and power strips?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back