nyc shopping tour - where to go?
Jan 26, 2005 at 1:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

smuh

500+ Head-Fier
Hi everybody!

I´m going to nyc in november just to get some birthday presents (CD´s, headphones, maybe and ipod) :p I know there´s still some time to go, I would already know some good stores I have to visit for sure.
Maybe somebody knows a store, where I could place an order (because not every album is always on stock aso.)... i guess i would at least buy 20-25 albums

and maybe a store that has grados, audio technicas and sony headphones for comparison.

Thanks a lot!

Jan 26, 2005 at 3:24 PM Post #3 of 16
for CDs, I would give a call to JandR Music World next to City Hall. They have a pickup option so you can order by phone or online and just go pick up the stack later. They also have a nice collection of buds, including the Senn MX500/550. But don't go near their awful "wall of sound" with miserable PX100, Sony V6, even Senn 600 - all in horrible demo condition.

AT? He's right - there isn't anywhere you can listen to them here. But AKG? Stereo Exchange has the lineup, including the K501 and K1000. It's in the Village, on Broadway. They also have the Grado lineup.

Sound by Singer has the full line of Grados in a nice lil niche in the back over at Union Square.

All of these have a web presence - check out their sites!

Jan 26, 2005 at 5:56 PM Post #4 of 16
In my opinion, J&R has the cheapest prices for cd's and even dvd's. Like Jahn said, they are located right across the street from City Hall in Lower Manhattan. J&R is split up into several buildings, one for computers/videogames, one for music/dvds, one for electronics, one for home appliances and one for photography. The buildings are all located on one block, named Park Row. It's literally two blocks from the World Trade Center site so it's easy to get to. You can take the quite a few trains down there and the area is quite interesting. There's also B&H photo and video in midtown, i believe on 9th ave and 31st street...i went there twice, its a nice store but very overcrowded and they don't have nowhere near as many electronics out on display. Plus, they don't sell cds. Virgin Megastore is another place for cds/dvds, but they can get expensive sometimes, they're located in Times Square.

Jan 26, 2005 at 8:16 PM Post #5 of 16
j&r has some sennheiser 5x5 phones, probably new because the foams are pretty firm. s portapro, sony all the way up to cd2000, koss pro4aa. ksc75 are $20 there..

last time I went all the headphones were working
smily_headphones1.gif
One or two were defaced though
frown.gif

Jan 26, 2005 at 8:54 PM Post #6 of 16
Just a quick note, they carry a lot of the smaller cans between the cashier and the portable section on the first floor of the electronics store, Park Row 31 is the address, iirc.

Jan 26, 2005 at 8:57 PM Post #7 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by gloco
Just a quick note, they carry a lot of the smaller cans between the cashier and the portable section on the first floor of the electronics store, Park Row 31 is the address, iirc.

and the bigger cans in between the BOSE CENTER and the radio antenna on the 2nd floor.

Jan 28, 2005 at 1:20 PM Post #8 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn
and the bigger cans in between the BOSE CENTER and the radio antenna on the 2nd floor.

Ya, i recall that wall of cans display right next to a register by the front windows where they have stands for stereo's.

Feb 22, 2005 at 7:06 PM Post #9 of 16
big thanks!
smily_headphones1.gif
now i only need to convince my gf that we really have to visit all stores you guys listed :p guess she´ll be more interested in buying clothes...as always
wink.gif

Feb 23, 2005 at 3:06 AM Post #10 of 16
dont forget, in the Music World part of the block, go to the top floor- they have a decent spread of SACDs there - worth getting if you're thinking about it.

Feb 23, 2005 at 7:25 AM Post #11 of 16
mmh, i was thinking about getting an sacd-player but i think i´ll stick with the idea of getting some grado headphones (since they are quite diffucult to get here in germany - and much more expensive) and maybe a better headamp, ipod(s) - yea, one just isn´t enough
wink.gif
and lots of cd´s

i think its going to be difficult to find a store that sells headamps and i was thinking about getting one of the meier audios amps, which i would buy here in germany
smily_headphones1.gif

oh does anybody know a store in nyc that sells the DiMarzio, Cardas and/or Kimber interconnects, mini2mini and mini2rca cables?

Feb 23, 2005 at 8:29 AM Post #12 of 16
Check out the East Village for a lot of awesome record stores, too. Vinyl can be had for dirt cheap brand new 10-15 dollars!
smily_headphones1.gif

Grados will definitely be able to be had in NYC. Sony's, definitely.

I say your chances are high for everything accept for Audio Technica's.

I've even seen AKG headphones in NYC, if that's of any interest to you.

They won't be in your average tourist areas, though - so remember to stay away from Times Square
wink.gif

Feb 23, 2005 at 9:14 AM Post #13 of 16
some vinyl´s would be nice aswell
smily_headphones1.gif
Most AKG´s & Sennheisers are cheaper here and easy to find here in germany - so I´ll look for grado and maybe sony (but i think the sa3000 will be difficult to find).

Is there a chance in nyc that i could listen to the emmeline sr-71? or can i only order it in some online stores?

oh, something else we really should visit, take a look at, buy?
smily_headphones1.gif
did i mention we are only staying for 4 days?
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 9, 2005 at 2:54 AM Post #14 of 16
What about Sony Plaza, 550 Madison Avenue? That's right in the heart of chick shopping central. Tiffany's, Bergdorf Goodman, Sax, Trump Tower, Fortunoff, are all on Fifth Avenue, the next block over. There are plenty of shops on Madison, too. Shanghai Tang, Barneys, Ann Klein (or is it Ann Taylor?) Call ahead and make an appointment to audition the Qualias! And if you're into cigars, the Davidoff store is also on Madison Avenue not far from Sony Plaza.

Mar 20, 2005 at 9:21 PM Post #15 of 16
sounds good
smily_headphones1.gif
thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back