Quote:

Originally Posted by lan
To help test/make podcasting streams.

Sure sure
wink.gif

Aug 29, 2005 at 9:58 PM Post #17 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by lan
The Shuffle? Of course I got it for free.
biggrin.gif
Actually my friend did but she gave it to me. I predict it maybe somewhat work related. To help test/make podcasting streams.

how nice of her
wink.gif

Aug 31, 2005 at 4:56 AM Post #18 of 28
Some more impressions

TURTLE BEACH Audio Advantage Micro - This thing packs a good amount of sound for the dollar. Get this it's only $20! An easy winner in my book. It is smooth sounding (non offensive), good soundstage, and punchy. It doesn't really have any negatives which are glaring. You just plug it in and go. It would make a good laptop sound solution or a gift for a friend/family member.

Sennheiser HD201 - With the TBAA above, it sound good to me. I wasn't really into the sound characteristic. It was a bit honky in the mids and was a bit incontiguous in the bass to my ears. The lower parts of the bass was more than upper bass so that plays out like hide and seek to me. Sometimes the bass would appear and disappear as oppsed to a headphone with more upper bass but less lower bass. But more importantly it was easy to listen to as it had enough bass, was not harsh, and had good soundstage. This is also $20 so not much to complain here. Ultimately I prefer the Koss headphones.

Now onto the portable amps. I prefer a lively sound and lots of detail. This is a worst case scenario test. Source = ipod which I don't really like and getting detail out of the system will mean most of the work is "done" by the amp and headphones. Headphones used are Sennheiser HD201 and AKG K4. I came in thinking these portable amps may not have the balls to really drive the K4 so I didn't really crank the volume too loud. I don't listen loud anyway. maybe the other fellows will input on using the other headphones.

I'll be using 5 X system.
tongue.gif

XXXXX - Excellent. Although it's possible to have more than this, it's really not that necessary portably as it will be hard to enjoy.
XXXX - Above average and is a strength of the amp
XXX - Average
XX - Not a strength but I wouldn't call this a weakness as it doesn't detract.
X - I would call this a weakness of the amp as it detracts from my enjoyment.

Headamp AE1
Detail - XXX
Dynamics - XXXX
Bass quantity - XXXX
Treble quality - XXX
Soundstage - XXXX
Forwardness - XXX

Since I havn't heard the AE1 before, I gave it a first shot. I was pleasantly surprised by this unit. It had a good amount of detail and was energetic sounding. Although I give soundstage 4Xs, I feel it is a tad bit artificial. The bass was very ample but I feel it was a bit warm and not tight enough for me.

Ray Samuels SR71
Detail - XXX
Dynamics - XX
Bass quantity - X
Treble quality - XXX
Soundstage - XXXX
Forwardness - XX

SR71 isn't my type of sound. It is a bit flat sounding to me and never had enough bass with the various headphones I've tried in the past. Today was no exception. System matching is more important here. A great source will make this amp shine more. This is a situation where I feel ipod is truly not good. One truly unique thing about this amp is the integration of the sonic spectrum. I feel it is very "integrated". With other amps I feel the some part of the sound is sometimes not in the right place.

Headroom Coda w/ desktop module
Detail - XXXXX
Dynamics - XXX
Bass quantity - XXX
Treble quality - XXXX
Soundstage - XXX
Forwardness - XXX

I was interested in comparing this to my stock. No comparision as the upgraded unit is far better. This easily had the most detail of all the amps. The micro levels of detail was an eye opener for me. It's was ok lively sounding. I was hoping it would be more but it wasn't. I don't really have much to comment on the rest of the sound since nothing was glaringly sticking out right or wrong.

Portaphile V2
Detail - XXX
Dynamics - XXX
Bass quantity - XXXXX
Treble quality - XXX
Soundstage - XXX
Forwardness - XXXX

This is a powerful sounding amp. It is lively and you can hear deeper bass than the other amps. I enjoyed this a lot.

MM, I need to write more but I have to do some work now.

My personal choices are the headroom coda w/ desktop module and the portaphile v2. That's detail or powerful sound on the go. I feel SR71 is better as a home amp and AE1 is good for any situation. AE1 is the overall general winner but not my taste.

Aug 31, 2005 at 6:37 PM Post #19 of 28
(I just posted most of these notes in the AE-1 review thread by Edipisreks.)

It was great to meet jjcha and to meet again with Oski, Jahn and Lan.

Ditto everything jjcha said about Oski's living space.

I found the AE-1 to be interesting -- though not my cup of tea -- but I'll need more extended listening with various ancillary components to get a well-rounded picture of it's capabilities.

A few random thoughts are that contrary to some comments made elsewhwere that it's placement of performers/instruments and its soundstage are very accurate, my listening with one recording in particular - Arturo Sandoval Live At The Blue Note (I was present to hear it live) - gave me impression that although the AE-1 separated and placed the performers very precisely, I found it to sound "solid-state" and its presentation unreal.

The Blue Note is a small club with a tiny stage and a powerful sound system. Besides Sandoval's blazing trumpet, there was a grand piano, elec keyboard, powerhouse sax, electric and acoustic bass, drums/percussion and amped guitar, and voices - all heavily amped. All that powerful sound washed back-and-forth and blended in a huge, powerful sound with soloists cutting through it. You could even feel the piano's deep soundwaves in your stomach. There were no neat, clean, discrete, nicely separated instruments to be heard -- as presented by the AE-1.

I also found in that context (iPod lineout or Vaio Laptop-via-USB out > Overture > AE-1) -- with various intereconnects and phones > that the AE-1 seemed to be somewhat mid-bass prominent, whereas the Portaphile V2 (not the latest V2>2) had deeper, more dynamic bass with no mid-bass emphasis. I preferred the PV2's presentation, character, impact and soundspace to the AE-1's.

The Coda+DT Module was very nice and well-balanced. I'd like to hear this one more to appreciate its sound (as a possible home or office unit with the Overture), though it doesn't meet my criteria for portability.

I listened through Beyer DT880/recabled, HP2 (w/"C-cups"?), MS2/recabled, AKG K-4 (power-hungry beast), and Sennheiser PXC250 (noise-cancelling) phones; Zu Pivot, rnb180 and Mr.X interconnects. I personally felt that the AE-1 had to be cranked WAY up to power the AKG K-4 and pretty far up for the DT880.

I will try to get an AE-1 for extended, more discerning and comprehensive listening.

Overall I preferred the Coda+DT Module (with Lan's enhanced power supply) and the Portaphile V2. I didn't listen enough to the SR-71 and will have to do that comparison in the future. One comparison I did note was that the SR-71 still has a much more contiguous sonic spectrum (smooth and well integrated) which was not my impression of the AE-1. Somehow the SR-71 did not sound as good as I've heard it many times in other environments!?

The CHA-47 was very nice. I preferred it to the AE-1, but again I would need more time and dedicated listening to write an adequate description.

BTW - The AE-1 review thread refers to some listeners attributing a "Tubey Sound" to the AE-1! If anything, I round it rather dry and far from tubey.

I guess I could have spent more time with the Gilmore Lite, but I found its sound to be "brittle" and just did not want to keep listening to it.

I would like to hear it in different contexts, though, since it may have lacked synergy with those components.

orphsmile.gif
{Orph-drooooool}

Aug 31, 2005 at 6:48 PM Post #20 of 28
Wow, you guys with your comprehensive impressions! I look like a hack compared to your in depth scribings! Kudos for giving fresh feedback on these hot topic amps!

Aug 31, 2005 at 6:58 PM Post #21 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn
Wow, you guys with your comprehensive impressions! ...

Huh? I know I'm always too wordy, but I was feeling guilty and lazy for not addressing so-o-o-o-o-o many things. Oh well... thanks!

k1000smile.gif
{gotta stay goofy}

Aug 31, 2005 at 7:00 PM Post #22 of 28
I'm glad you liked the CHA47, Romanee. IMO, this little DIY old school amp can still run with the newer kids on the block. I haven't found anything better (yet) to power the UE Super.Fi5 Pros. It tightens the bass considerably and brings out the details in the upper mids and top end.......to my ears, of course.
Thanks for the impressions everybody!
biggrin.gif

Aug 31, 2005 at 7:05 PM Post #23 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by joelongwood
I'm glad you liked the CHA47, Romanee. IMO, this little DIY old school amp can still run with the newer kids on the block. I haven't found anything better (yet) to power the UE Super.Fi5 Pros. It tightens the bass considerably and brings out the details in the upper mids and top end.......to my ears, of course.
Thanks for the impressions everybody!
biggrin.gif

No joke, your CHA47 could hang with the big boys. My Go Vibe should come by Friday, so I'm really looking forward to my private little shootout! Sometimes, it's KISS ("Keep it Simple, Shirley!")

Sep 2, 2005 at 2:29 AM Post #24 of 28
Time to change the signature! The can and amps came at the same time, it's amazing- I'm actually chilling to them now instead of the HP2 and Pinkie for a change of pace - wow, this rig is actually good enough for home duty! Long live the SR60, Go Vibe V3 and ipod! my review is below, but i'll make certain to bring the rig to the next meet so you all can check it out-

http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showt...56#post1578156

Sep 10, 2005 at 10:20 PM Post #26 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by radfaraf
Was there a post asking people to come to this event? Because i was wondering why I didn't see one.
blink.gif

nopes, it wasn't officially an event - oski held it in his apt and to avoid having to turn down folks if too many folks came, he just rung up some folks he knew in town, just 4 total. don't feel bad tho, if i heard about the full on electrostat minimeet that went on the day before here in NYC i would have been all over that like butter on rice! if i ever held one i think i could fit 2 folks at the most, and would probably just end up PMing lan so he could come over and tell me how my whole setup needs modding lol. our tiny lil 1 bedrooms here in manhattan aren't meet-friendly, what can i say.

Sep 11, 2005 at 6:34 AM Post #27 of 28
Hey, at least you guys have one-bedrooms. I'm in a studio! You should see where I've got my computer set up - it's on the gas range in the kitchen!! If someone accidentally turns on one of the burners, my hp printer is cooked!

Best,

-Jason

Sep 14, 2005 at 12:23 AM Post #28 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by jjcha
Hey, at least you guys have one-bedrooms. I'm in a studio! You should see where I've got my computer set up - it's on the gas range in the kitchen!! If someone accidentally turns on one of the burners, my hp printer is cooked!

Best,

-Jason

glad your new place is working out. how many boxes are still unopened?
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back