NYC Mini-Meet
Jan 31, 2005 at 9:37 PM Post #16 of 157
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn
Both were not driven from battery power. The flute was hooked into the power strip - we didn't have an external battery pack for it. The Overture ran from rechargeables.

That might make a difference, but it would probably be minor as AOS advised me a while back that the wallwart that he provides is of fairly good quality. Quote:

Both had the same source- from the modded 3950 coax out to a coax to optical box, and that box had two optical outs, one went to the flute, one to the overture, so that seems to meet your criteria. Optical cables? Hmm one was lan's jobby, the other was a rat shack, so i'd call that a wash.

I think it is pretty accepted that optical cables are optical cables, I would not be worried about that.
wink.gif
Quote:

Does the flute even have a line out? We just used the headphone out to headphones. We didn't think of using the headphone out as a line out by turning the volume all the way up then threading it to an amp - that would have the internal amp in the chain anyhow, and would add another cable to the equation. We let the flute stand on its own merit- a dac/amp all in one combo. The overture ran from quite a few different amps, all of which seemed to do better than the flute's internal amp. SR71 low and high gain, and the Coda were some examples.

I think it is a fine comparison of Flute vs. Overture+Coda and Flute vs. Overture+SR71, but I dont think it is a comparison of Flute vs. Overture... if that makes any sense.
tongue.gif

AOS has stated in another thread that the Flute can be used as a DAC if you max out the volume. He stated some reasons that the Flute differs from other devices in this regard. If he is looking at this thread maybe he can comment on it?

I'm not trying to be a pain in the ass here, but if you are comparing them as DAC's only it was not a proper test. If you want to compare them as individual devices then there are many other things that need to be considered. I just don't see how the Overture can clearly win out if you are comparing apples to oranges.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 31, 2005 at 9:39 PM Post #17 of 157
Quote:

Originally Posted by dannyandelyse
WOW..

Did find one SECRET match for Senn 650s...and I ain't talking cause I got a bead on one!!!

Bah! How could you think of betraying your amazing source?

"DannyandElyse-

sponge bob AM transistor radio combo alarm clock source."

Jan 31, 2005 at 9:43 PM Post #18 of 157
Quote:

Originally Posted by philodox
AOS has stated in another thread that the Flute can be used as a DAC if you max out the volume. He stated some reasons that the Flute differs from other devices in this regard. If he is looking at this thread maybe he can comment on it?

I'm not trying to be a pain in the ass here, but if you are comparing them as DAC's only it was not a proper test. If you want to compare them as individual devices then there are many other things that need to be considered. I just don't see how the Overture can clearly win out if you are comparing apples to oranges.
smily_headphones1.gif

I feel no pain, no worries. Ah I didn't know AOS would recommend doing it that way - in fact a while ago Lan suggested I do that very same thing with my Solo to go to the RCA in of my crappy receiver to send a signal to the speakers. It's not the most elegant solution but it's the best analog line out signal i could get (my old sony and this crappy replacement Denon both dont have digital in or out lol.) Anyhow i can only turn the Solo to about 10 O'clock as a line in before it starts getting too hot as a line signal. Interesting that the Flute can be dialed all the way up to do the same.

End result? Yep we didn't utilize the Flute that way, so take all impressions with a grain of salt!

Jan 31, 2005 at 9:49 PM Post #19 of 157
Quote:

Interesting that the Flute can be dialed all the way up to do the same.

It has something to do with the digital stepped attenuation in the flute. AOS has set lower and upper limits to the output in order to avoid loss of dynamic range.

I personally think that they are both great products, just completely different applications in my opinion. The fact that I can use one device and get extremely extended battery life from my mp3 player [no amplification is being done now], accurate stepped volume control and extremely neutral and transparent amplification makes the Flute a winner for me.

However if I was planning on buying a setup for a work rig or a transportable system to use on vacation or in hotels I would definately consider the Overture and the Coda.

Jan 31, 2005 at 10:14 PM Post #20 of 157
Quote:

It has something to do with the digital stepped attenuation in the flute. AOS has set lower and upper limits to the output in order to avoid loss of dynamic range.

I personally think that they are both great products, just completely different applications in my opinion. The fact that I can use one device and get extremely extended battery life from my mp3 player [no amplification is being done now], accurate stepped volume control and extremely neutral and transparent amplification makes the Flute a winner for me.

However if I was planning on buying a setup for a work rig or a transportable system to use on vacation or in hotels I would definately consider the Overture and the Coda.

i think i'm missing something here. how are you using the flute as an external dac for your mp3 player if you dont have power going to it? what is powering it, the mp3 player? how? do you mean extremely extended battery life of the batteries in the external batt pack powering the flute? i think i'm just misreading, but i think you still need a battery pack on the go to make the flute work, right?

Jan 31, 2005 at 10:18 PM Post #21 of 157
Quote:

Originally Posted by lan
Unfortunately jpelg couldn't be there and Sovkiller's car broke down. Do not worry jpelg, you didn't miss much with the Qualias.
tongue.gif
Sovkiller maybe next time.

So no Rudistor RP33 at the meet?
frown.gif
frown.gif
frown.gif

And I hoped for some more impressions from more listeners about this promising amp... well, maybe next time...

Sorry about your car, Sov!

Jan 31, 2005 at 10:20 PM Post #23 of 157
no joke, i really wish sov could make it, so he could have some more of that delicious cooking - and i could compare that Rudistor to my Solo - that's a comparo a long time in coming.

Jan 31, 2005 at 10:22 PM Post #24 of 157
Quote:

i think i'm missing something here. i think you still need a battery pack on the go to make the flute work, right?

Yep, I meant extremely extended battery life for my MP3 player itself. Before the Flute, my MP3 player was doing a digital to analog conversion and amplifying the signal to go to my K271S all by itself. Now that it is just outputting a digital signal the battery life is very nice on it. The Flute still requires its own power source though of course. I am using a PowerRunner battery pack myself.

I actually have two of them and keep one hooked up to my av320 just in case the PowerRunner that my Flute uses ever runs out... that way I can swap PowerRunners and flip the voltage and keep listeining until I get home to charge them as my av320 can just use its internal battery at that point. I may eventually just use one of them and just swap them when it gets low, but my traveller bag has two battery compartments so I thought why not?
smily_headphones1.gif

Just to clarify, here is a picture of my portable setup. I only have the one powerrunner connected to the Flute and am powering my av320 from the wall just in case the battery pack ran out of juice. It was at three lights at the start of the meet and is presently still at three lights after the meet [7 hrs], listening to my rig from windsor to london [3hrs] and listening on the way into work this morning [2hrs].

Jan 31, 2005 at 10:22 PM Post #25 of 157
First, my family and I want to thank everyone for coming. It was a pleasure to have such a distinguished group of audiophiles, grace our home.
It was weird seeing people at a meet, listen to an Orpheus, while sitting on bunk beds. Walking into my kitchen, seeing headphones hanging from my cabinets, gave me some new ideas for a new genre of headphone stands
biggrin.gif

I was panic stricken, and spent the last 3 nights, in an uneasy sleep, worried that 1.-there would not be enough room, or 2.-there would be a hum in everyone's headphones, or 3.-I would have to run to Home Depot to get a fire extinguisher, and circuit breaker fuses. But alas, it was a perfect people- to-space ratio.
Special thanks to Bozebuttons, for supplying so much great equipment, and a perfect table to organize it on. Without the ExactPower, running much of the equipment in 2 rooms, I think we would have had power issues.
I am especially appreciative to Hirsch for taking the time to fly in, just for the meet, even though, he didn't feel well. I'll never forget that.
Stevieo did eveything in his power to make as many people happy as possible by driving long distances, and organizing many of the extraneous stuff.
Canman and Meech...I was worried that you weren't going to come, but you made sure to be a part of the event that wouldn't have been as much, without you. DannyandElyse, san Elyse, came by early in the morning, to drop off equipment, and a table, and awesome scotch, and Philly Fluff (whatever the hell that was [Bobkah substitute]), B4 going to work, and then came back, just as things were starting to heat up. Thank you.
I appreciate Romanee (a name for a fine Bordeaux, you know), for pulling out his Arnold Schwartzenegger muscle, for both obtaining, and carrying all that portable equipment. I am interested in figuring out, how you came with 75 lbs. and left with 100 lbs
evil_smiley.gif
I guess I'll figure that out over the years.
Thanks for the vinyl, other than mine. Jahn (Yahn as he's known in Austria), your presence, and equipment, and conversation, was much appreciated by my whole clan. Erik, I know breaking away from the wife and kids (especially the shorter one), at this time was a balancing act, and you pulled it off, well. I am sorry you couldn't stay for the feast, but at least you got in on the Head-Fi Scotch toast, and that makes you drive better. lan, thanks for bringing your Stealth, and your overwhelming desire to help others (especially my kid's computer), in the quest for enjoyable sound, in both high-end and portable worlds.
And special thanks to my wife Telica, and kids, Jazz and Arielle, for whom without their help, the meet would have never been a success. Also thanks to the Tempurpedic company, for making a bed that helped heal me, after carrying Tom's gear
blink.gif
And thank the heavens for cheesecake brownies.
We'll have to send some to Mcmanus and Samuels.

Jan 31, 2005 at 10:34 PM Post #26 of 157
Thanks for the thanks Aaron - in hindsight I really should have busted out the Solo one more time and hooked it up to your Esoteric before we left so you could have had at least one taste of the dulcet tones of AC/DC, "Back in Black." Curses.

And Philo thanks for the clarification. I wonder if my Ipod is saving battery life by just relying on the line out instead of pumping its amp through its headphone out - hmm, probably.

Jan 31, 2005 at 10:36 PM Post #27 of 157
Quote:

I just don't see how the Overture can clearly win out if you are comparing apples to oranges.
smily_headphones1.gif

I don't think anyone can say that the Overture clearly won out. Remember, this is a meet, and a mini-meet at that. Take a look at the picture. There was so much portable gear on the table and we had to figure out some way to maximize our time. It was decided that we would use the Overture primarily to compare some amps and cans because we just couldn't keep switching cables back and forth and have enough listening time. This was decided upon by only three people, three people with good sonic judgement, but just three people nonetheless.

There are no clear winners at meets, only impressions, IMHO. I for one am still impressed with the idea of the Flute and hope to be able to give it some quality time at some point. Meets are not for making final judgements on anything but for giving you ideas about what you might like to examine more closely in the future.

Jan 31, 2005 at 10:42 PM Post #28 of 157
Quote:

Originally Posted by erikzen
It was decided that we would use the Overture primarily to compare some amps and cans because we just couldn't keep switching cables back and forth and have enough listening time.

I see, well the Overture makes more sense in this application anyways. In fact I would expect the DAC on the Overture to be better than the DAC on the Flute, but just think that the test should have been performed differently. I would be surprised and dissapointed if a standalone DAC at that price point was beaten by the Flute.
eek.gif
Quote:

Originally Posted by erikzen
Meets are not for making final judgements on anything but for giving you ideas about what you might like to examine more closely in the future.

I hear you there. I am very confused after the Chicago meet... too much stuff and it takes a while to sort it all out. The only thing that I know is that I want a Wheatfield HA-2. The rest of the stuff that I really liked at the meet would need a lot more consideration and a second audition in a more favourable environment.
wink.gif

Jan 31, 2005 at 10:49 PM Post #29 of 157
i find the best way to approach a meet is to go in there with a game plan. yes, i had flings with the vinyl and the Bozebuttons Museum of Audiophilia, but mostly I stuck to the portable section, and before that playing the Solo off of its nearest competitors (the earmax, the HR2 - solid state home amps).

but even then, that's just to capture the flavor. very rarely is there a mass consensus item that blows everything away. even the baby qualias, great as they are, may not be the best match for my home system. it's a matter of taking all these ideas home, listening to your own gear, and thinking "hmm, was any of that worth a deeper look?"

but mostly going to meets and shooting the breeze with likeminded head-fiers is the big bonus.

Jan 31, 2005 at 10:54 PM Post #30 of 157
Philodox -

We're planning to have a followup portables/transportables meet sometime soon. You've presented some good points to explore.

Jahn & Lan - perhaps we can start making some notes as questions or issues come up, so we can prepare a basic "methodology outline" for a followup study.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back