NYC Mini Meet 1-29-06
Jan 31, 2006 at 7:29 PM Post #16 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by jjcha
Hey Ray, you have to speak a bit about that amp you have driving your B&W's. It's solid state yeah? It does belong to the solid state side of the spectrum, but I like good solid state and it does it well.

Hey Jason, the amp is a McCormack DNA 0.5 Deluxe (formerly a Stereophile Class B component and I believe possibly one of the Products of the Year back in the mid-90's). It has gone through 2 rounds of revisions with Steve McCormack himself in San Diego. It currently has the Revision A+ mods on it, which was just completed back in November. Here was my initial post about that:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oski
Well, I've been enjoying Head-Fi and all the headphone exploration over the past year, but all the headphone upgrading had just triggered the inevitable upgraditis of my stereo rig...starting with my newly modded McCormack DNA 0.5 Deluxe, which I just got back today from Mr. Steve McCormack himself. It is now a Revision A+ standard (http://members.cox.net/smcaudio/welcome.htm).

Firing the amp up to play some SACDs from my Sony DVD player as source, music just emerged from my speakers like I've not heard before from my rig!
eek.gif
I mean an amp could make a HUGE difference. The sound is liquid, forceful, controlled, palpable, impactful, and dynamic....all in ways that headphones just can't duplicate.

Now this really makes me wonder if I've been putting too much emphasis on headphones over the past several months when all it was supposed to be was an ancillary part of my audio enjoyment, when speakers were deemed too loud or distracting to others.

But here's Steve's handiwork (he's a great guy by the way, and his work is top notch as can be seen below):

My single favorite piece of audio gear
CIMG2451.jpg

Previously it had already been modded to Rev. B, which I liked so much I just upgraded to A+ (cool WBT NextGen RCAs too)
CIMG2452.jpg

Wished I took pictures of the before, but lots of new parts in this thing
CIMG2458.jpg

Look at those beefy Nichicon caps, each about 1" in diameter and 2" long
CIMG2459.jpg

Very neat work indeed
CIMG2462.jpg

I know it's a very simple looking unit, and one that probably doesn't appeal to your very stylized sensibilities (with your other post about the Pathos)...but this is probably my single favorite piece of stereo equipment, not only in terms of what it can do sonically, but also because of its revision history with its original creator.

EDIT: Here's the proper link to SMc Audio: http://members.cox.net/smcaudio/welcome.htm

I should also add that I've actually owned 3 DNA 0.5 at various points (one unmodded and one Rev. A). I think the stock version is nice, but maybe too much grain and not enough control of the bass. I think every 0.5 owner should seriously consider the Rev. B at least, which makes it much smoother, detailed, and controlled. Rev. A+ is nice too, making things more natural and tube-like while advancing what he did with the Rev. B.

Jan 31, 2006 at 7:59 PM Post #17 of 33
Oh sure, keep talkin' about the speaker rig I didn't get to hear guys! Bah! *jealous!*

On the portable side, we had the Hornet, the AE-1, and the Portaphile V3 with some more prototype tweaks done to it, not certain what.

Bass - Hornet rules here, as it usually does hehe. Big and boomy and can seem a bit out of control when pushed, but you can chalk that up to being able to naturally decay versus being too compartmentalized. The Portaphile was next with the bass, and you know what? I liked this bass the most. Deep and agressive but tighter too, without being too solid-statey thin in doing so. The AE-1 also wasn't thin - it almost rounds out the bass and keeps it tight and punchy like that, but it didn't go down as deep as the other two amps.

Mids - warm without being lush on the Hornet. not warm, but a bit smeary on the portaphile. AE-1 had refined mids, but not as intimate as the other two.

Highs - AE-1 was king here, really soaring up there, and resulting in perhaps an artificial sense of an increase in detail. Hornet didn't go as high, but to the extent it went high, it was natural. Portaphile went about as high as the Hornet, but was a tad etchier.

Dynamics- portaphile had the punch, hornet was next in raw attack, and AE-1 rapped you sharply with a switch but didn't wallop you with a club.

Overall, the AE-1 was the most refined, but perhaps not the most natural, due to its ability to keep everything perhaps TOO separate. Plus, the bass wasn't as thumping. (This is why I'm still thinking the BlackCoral is the way to go - a less warm, more detailed IC might be overkill for this amp). The Hornet was warm and natural and bassy and punchy. Seriously, I'm holding out for the new Grado Streetstyles and the free AE-1 upgrades in April before thinking about checking out the Hornet, because the Hornet does seem to sound like an amp that would match my personal preferences right now, doesn't it? And it would benefit from something like a Headroom BlackMax or a RnBAudio BlackDiamond to help keep things nice and clear. The Portaphile is actually the middle ground between these two amps, and for a better price, could end up being a great bargain. Starquad would be just fine as an IC with this amp - I'm using starquad right now as my BlackCoral is out and about, and you know what? It's not bad at all, it's not as beefy or weighty in presentation as the BlackCoral, and not as crystal clean as the BlackDiamond, but what it does it does with some spank to it and is a great bargain.

Feb 1, 2006 at 3:09 AM Post #18 of 33
I didn't get a chance to hear any of the portable rigs. I would like to get mine going again.

Yeah that mccormack amp sounds pretty gutsy. Makes my system sound like a pea shooter
tongue.gif

Feb 1, 2006 at 4:05 AM Post #19 of 33
Okay, finally managed to get home and type out my impressions from this past weekend. It’s really difficult to follow up on the excellent reviews shared by the others already, so I’ll just fill in a bit more here and there.

The ATH 10VTG is a veritable bargain in the ATOWF family. For around $200 or less you get the full wood cup and leather pads treatment, amazing build quality that AT is known for…all in a limited edition package! Sound wise, there is a plushiness and warmth that reminds me of a well worn and comfortable lazyboy, which while it doesn’t win any style points, it’s something that one can just lounge on and enjoy. Oddly, it doesn’t have the most detailed highs and the bottom is a bit mushy, but somehow it just sounds good nonetheless with most everything you plug into it, Sony Vaio, DAP, EMP, Grace, etc. I think this is due largely to its ability to be driven by most anything and that it’s got a personality all its own that takes over whatever else is upstream. If Jason hadn’t told me the price I’d easily guess $300+ by virtue of build quality alone!

As described so wonderfully by Jahn, the W2002 is just delicious looking. I don’t think there are many prettier woodies (Headphile inclusive). The wood is rich and warm, with a lavish coating of high gloss lacquer. The champagne colored frame is the finish of a fine German luxury automobile. However, its sound is a bit of a Jekyll and Hyde. The top end is analytical and sharp while the bottom end is a bit murky and undefined. However an amp like the EMP helps to smooth things out a bit and give it a more pleasant presentation.

As for the HP2 stock vs. Darth Grado HP2 comparison, it’s actually quite interesting that the pads and recabling seemed to really alter the fundamental sound of the HP2. I first heard Jahns HP2 at the NY Meet and was struck by how much more open and spacious it sounded (as someone else described…”it’s the least Grado sounding Grado”). While it retained the HP2’s ability to extract detail, it also manages a more delicate approach…though this came at a slight expense of bass impact and texture. But since lan is giving the BASS mod treatment to Jahn’s DAC (a la his approach with the ART DI/O), I’d imagine that would really fill it in and create a more balanced sound. I can’t wait to hear that combination, as I suspect it’ll be something very special.

Otherwise Jahn also managed a Stax setup that is the least electrostatic electrostats I’ve heard. I actually thought his amp has some vintage Mullards as it sounded extremely warm and soft. But it was all SS baby! It’s definitely a very musical and forgiving sounding…but I might have actually preferred more of the electrostatic clarity and transparency.

As for the DAC shootout, I was very surprised at just how different the three units sounded. I mean I’m hearing reports from the LA meet where most of the DACs on hand (DAC1, Lavry, AQVOX, etc.) were deemed to have been different in only the last 5% or so…it was definitely not the case here.

The DI/O was impressive in the prodigiousness and prominence of the BASS
basshead.gif
! It also went low…I thought that maybe lan hooked up a subwoofer to my system while I wasn’t looking. I mean on Sarah McLachlan’s “I Love You” the track rumbled impressively, but as Jason suggested above, it drew too much attention to the bass, taking away from the essence of the track. It is so dynamic and fast a DAC that on a track Romanee put on with an already fast cadence I thought maybe the transport had been set on fast forward. However, to put it in the proper context, lan had modded this unit with these characteristics to shore up his Magnaplanars, which as dipolar planar-magnetic speakers do not produce sufficient bass (owners often pair them up with a subwoofer). I’m sure this DAC would sound excellent in his home system. This would also be a great DAC for electronica, hard rock, and synthpop...anything that would benefit from substantial bass and impact.

Jason’s Grace was…well, graceful. The same McLachlan track was simply enchanting with his DAC, which unlike either the Stello or the DI/O manages to render the delicacy and fragility of her voice properly. It also had a very natural and organic midrange that is particularly suited for vocals. It’s Achilles heel, however, was the bass. It didn’t have the ability to control lower frequencies, which on an electronica remix of McLachlan became flubby and loose. But it’s going back to lan for another round of mods, which will hopefully address this issue and make this a killer DAC.

The Stello somehow fit right between the other two DACs and took the middle road in many of the characteristics described above. This leads me to think its actually pretty neutral and balanced. With only about 175 hours on it, it would probably also benefit from more burn in. Since I'm taking delivery of a tube preamp in a couple of weeks (Don Garber's Fi Y), I hope to gain some of that naturalness and dimensionality of the Grace in my rig.

As for the portables, even though the Hornet has burned in further after 300+ hours I thought that certain parts of the sonic spectrum has possibly evolved, it is still a bit dark sounding with a bass that is still a bit too boomy and odd sounding to me. However, every time there’s a Hornet around, I’d always pick it up and marvel at its diminutive size, beautiful build quality, and functional style (love the LED power switch). In comparison with the AE-1, I have to actually give the edge to the AE-1 (again, just personal taste) which while brighter, had a sparkle on the top end that I think would allow the detail to come through even while in a noisy environment. It also sounded great with Jason’s ATH ES-7. It is also impressive to note that the whole time Jahn has owned the amp (probably 2 months), it only had to be charged once! But in the end I think I have to give the Portaphile the nod overall. Even new and not yet burned in, it already sounds very promising. I’ve always been impressed with what Cesar manages to do at the roughly $200 price point. The sound is textured, detailed, and dimensional. Unlike the other two above it is more balanced without any glaring overemphasis (treble in the AE-1 and bass in the Hornet), this in itself brings it in front of the other two.

Feb 1, 2006 at 4:30 AM Post #20 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by Oski
Okay, finally managed to get home and type out my impressions from this past weekend. It’s really difficult to follow up on the excellent reviews shared by the others already, so I’ll just fill in a bit more here and there.

The ATH 10VTG is a veritable bargain in the ATOWF family. For around $200 or less you get the full wood cup and leather pads treatment, amazing build quality that AT is known for…all in a limited edition package! Sound wise, there is a plushiness and warmth that reminds me of a well worn and comfortable lazyboy, which while it doesn’t win any style points, it’s something that one can just lounge on and enjoy. Oddly, it doesn’t have the most detailed highs and the bottom is a bit mushy, but somehow it just sounds good nonetheless with most everything you plug into it, Sony Vaio, DAP, EMP, Grace, etc. I think this is due largely to its ability to be driven by most anything and that it’s got a personality all its own that takes over whatever else is upstream. If Jason hadn’t told me the price I’d easily guess $300+ by virtue of build quality alone!

For what it's worth the VTG wasn't a limited edition phone, according to Overluge AT produced around 3000 of them. I'll agree with your thoughts on the VTG, it isn't very technically proficient but it's so darn enjoyable to listen to. Out of curiosity did the VTG have the standard faux leather pads or the W2002's leatherpads?

Feb 1, 2006 at 4:40 AM Post #21 of 33
It's got the original pads, which I believe are pleather. I dunno what it is, but I guess I managed to find one that was in nearly new condition. Box and everything.

Best,

-Jason

Feb 1, 2006 at 4:55 AM Post #22 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by jjcha
It's got the original pads, which I believe are pleather. I dunno what it is, but I guess I managed to find one that was in nearly new condition. Box and everything.

Best,

-Jason

Gotcha, I was just curious if you had switched out to the W2002 pads and if you'd noticed a difference between the two. I guess I'll have to place an order with audiocubes and do the comparison for myself.
smily_headphones1.gif

Anyway thanks for your response and your guys' thoughts, looks like it was a nice mini-meet.

Feb 1, 2006 at 6:00 AM Post #23 of 33
Yeah, the surprise of the meet for me was definitely Jason’s ATH ES-7. How come this hasn't become FOTM yet? It's portable, it's closed, and it has the best SQ south of $150 i've heard - and that includes the Almighty Bose Triports!
evil_smiley.gif
Of course, it might have had a little bit to do with Lan putting a Grado headphone cable on there, but who knows.
icon10.gif
But seriously, this is a niche that has very limited options, and right now I think the ES-7 is the King Kong of that bunch. Did you hear that, HD25-1 owners?
very_evil_smiley.gif

Feb 1, 2006 at 6:35 AM Post #24 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn
Yeah, the surprise of the meet for me was definitely Jason’s ATH ES-7. How come this hasn't become FOTM yet? It's portable, it's closed, and it has the best SQ south of $150 i've heard - and that includes the Almighty Bose Triports!
evil_smiley.gif
Of course, it might have had a little bit to do with Lan putting a Grado headphone cable on there, but who knows.
icon10.gif
But seriously, this is a niche that has very limited options, and right now I think the ES-7 is the King Kong of that bunch. Did you hear that, HD25-1 owners?
very_evil_smiley.gif

Yeah -- the ES7 is really great and all that -- and yeah, it looks really cool … but it ain't got no noise reduction feature … like my PXC300 … now that's a phone (or something) … same price, too. Me -- I'm waitin' for a Big Daddy Orpheus system clone for under $150 USD … as soon as spintronics technology becomes real-world & filters down to us mere mortals.
orphsmile.gif

You'll definitely have to have some fun with the speaker setup next time. Now if someone can just provide a really good surround sound processor … considering the speed, bass depth, and slam those speakers put out (especially with Lan's Art DI/O) -- we can try "The Matrix" DVD and hear if it can match the unbelievable experience of seeing/hearing The Matrix at immtbiker's place!!! That sound was better than any theatrical venue I can imagine!

basshead4ci.gif

Feb 1, 2006 at 6:42 AM Post #25 of 33
BTW -- about the Portaphile beta test mod: I agree with some of what Jahn felt about it, but some words of caution. Aside from the slight edginess of the top, the much more extended upper end does restore the sparkle, sizzle and missing complexities that the matured Blackgate NX caps had softened somewhat -- and I do like the tighter bottom end -- but … I feel the cost is the loss of much of the big, 3-dimensional sound space, low noise floor and quiet background, big bass, and warm musicality it had before the experiment.

Cesar is still working on it, and this is by no means a real upgrade … just a test. It will be wonderful if he can successfully combine the nice top extension with the beauty of the V2^2 sound, and none of the edginess.

It was fun to hear it, though.

Feb 1, 2006 at 12:07 PM Post #26 of 33
The last time I heard these ES7s prior to this meet, did they have enough burnin? I'm not sure. They sound a bit more together this day. I think the bass is a bit too much though which is great when there's no amp. The sound is far from thin. The build quality is sturdy except the cord. That's the reason that wire was replaced since jjcha killed it by accident and it snapped right off
eek.gif

I think $150 is too much to pay though.

I'd like to checkout that matrix at immtbiker's. Whoa.....
tongue.gif

--lan

Feb 1, 2006 at 3:41 PM Post #27 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by lan
The last time I heard these ES7s prior to this meet, did they have enough burnin? I'm not sure. They sound a bit more together this day. I think the bass is a bit too much though which is great when there's no amp. The sound is far from thin. The build quality is sturdy except the cord. That's the reason that wire was replaced since jjcha killed it by accident and it snapped right off
eek.gif

I think $150 is too much to pay though.

tongue.gif

--lan

I thought $150 was a lot, but then the Senn PXC300 is also $150 -- discounted!

Feb 2, 2006 at 1:28 AM Post #28 of 33
well at least you have noise reduction
tongue.gif
It's extra things that need to be built and put in there.

Feb 2, 2006 at 1:34 AM Post #29 of 33
Feb 2, 2006 at 4:57 AM Post #30 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by lan
tongue.gif

--lan

You're welcome anytime. Wish I could have been there.

communication breakdown,
It’s always the same,
I’m having a nervous breakdown,
Drive me insane!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back