NYC Meet 11/12/05 Impressions
Nov 15, 2005 at 6:41 PM Post #196 of 235
Quote:

Originally Posted by Voltron
From this pic, Mikhail the Pusher seems to have at his table, from left to right, the following amps:

1. The Lookout seems to be listening to the tweaked out MPX3 with Plitron transformer, silver wiring, and alternate tubes (I don't know which) that Mikhail had in San Jose this summer. If that is it, it is a very fast, detailed and live amp that I wrote some brief impressions about in that meet's thread.

Ah yes I tried this one out as well. Compared to the Bling Maestro, the Lookout MPX3 had alot of midbass warmth and seemed to be more enveloping - lush but also less soundstage than the Bling. These were impressions comparing both amps with the RS-1. I preferred the Bling, while Oski (as I recall) actually preferred the Lookout MPX3 with the RS-1s.

Nov 15, 2005 at 9:24 PM Post #197 of 235
Quote:

Originally Posted by jaybar
This was my first meet. Thanks to all who put in so much work to make it a success. Thanks to Yikes for spending a fair bit of time with me and helping to put things in perspective.

Jay

Yeah mine too. Just to repeat Jay, thanks to everyone for making it happen. I'm now the owner of a Hornet (my first headphone amp), so I'm a very happy bunny!

Thanks again,
Ryan

Nov 15, 2005 at 11:11 PM Post #199 of 235
Quote:

Originally Posted by photobob
"Problem" "Solved"

I want one!
It is totally appropriate for my life!!!
Member name....email????

Name is MacHead and he bought a few at Target - you might still get them there?

Nov 16, 2005 at 12:34 AM Post #201 of 235
Quote:

Originally Posted by joelongwood
I did a VERY brief comparison with the K701, K501, and my unmodded K340s. The place was just way too loud to do any serious listening with these very open 'phones. All I can say is that the K701 seems to have more in common (as far as SQ goes) with the K340 than it does with the K501. The K501 sounds rather thin in comparison to both the K701 and the K340, while the K701 and K340 exhibit a richer, fuller sound, with more bass and smoother highs.
Again, this was my first, quick impression. Further, more serious listening might yield different results.
biggrin.gif

Did anyone do a direct comparison between the 701 and the SA5000?

Of course it will be better done after 701s are burned in, but it would be an interesting comparison.

Nov 16, 2005 at 12:38 AM Post #202 of 235
Quote:

Originally Posted by Romanee
Did anyone do a direct comparison between the 701 and the SA5000?

Of course it will be better done after 701s are burned in, but it would be an interesting comparison.

Hmm, I think this comparison is up to us
icon10.gif
icon10.gif
icon10.gif

Get off of here and get your work done so you can join us for dinner, will yah?!

Best,

-Jason

Nov 16, 2005 at 12:47 AM Post #203 of 235
Quote:

Originally Posted by jjcha
Hmm, I think this comparison is up to us
icon10.gif
icon10.gif
icon10.gif

Get off of here and get your work done so you can join us for dinner, will yah?!

Best,

-Jason

Ha! Ad agencies don't work that way. I work like The Flash [no I don't wear a cape & tights or beat up bad guys], but it's very bureaucratic as every job "routes" thru Quality Control > Traffic > Proofreading > Traffic and/or Account/Mktg and around again.... yawn.

Help! Time for a career change — fast.

Life is short and dinner time goes by so fast.
eek.gif
icon10.gif

HEY! Wait-a-minute! How come you're not on your way!!!???

Nov 16, 2005 at 6:26 AM Post #204 of 235
Quote:

Originally Posted by jjcha
Yes, I actually expected erikzen to look like his avatar
icon10.gif

Best,

-Jason

You mean I don't? That's my high school yearbook picture. Have I aged that much?

Nov 16, 2005 at 7:49 AM Post #205 of 235
Quote:

Originally Posted by Romanee
Another thanks, Yikes, for getting a few shots of Rudi's amps. It somewhat soothes the pain of my Canon catastrophe.
icon10.gif

[size=medium]Rudistor Amps (during setup), Left-to-Right: Sovkiller's Sony CD3000, RP5.1 tube hybrid, RP33 dual mono solid state (with Meier Corda Cross 1 on top), NKK-02 compact tube hybrid; blue cables are Rudi's BlueShift K1 ICs (multistrand silver-plated OFC, teflon dielectric, gold-plated brass plugs); don't know what the black cables were[/size]
RudistorAmps.jpg

[size=medium]Rudistor RP33 dual mono headphone amp — spacious, smooth & sweet — moreso than you'd expect from solid state[/size]
RP33.jpg

[size=medium]Rudistor NKK-02 compact headphone amp … forget the switchbox … it created a hum and we quickly took it out of the chain[/size]
NKK02.jpg

[size=medium]Bunch-'o'Senns — favorite phones for Rudi's amps[/size]
SennsRudis.jpg

Those black cables are from my personal brew, DIY homebrew using Canare starquad, that sounds very decent if you ask me....and the main reason I have not upgraded yet, will try Rudi ones later on, when you finish with them....

Nov 16, 2005 at 7:51 AM Post #206 of 235
Quote:

Originally Posted by erikzen
You mean I don't? That's my high school yearbook picture. Have I aged that much?

You've improved significantly with age. A fine, mature vintage indeed.

Nov 16, 2005 at 4:21 PM Post #207 of 235
I haven’t posted much in the way of impressions because to be honest I come to meets primarily for the camaraderie. I am making a conscious effort of avoid listening to expensive toys that I might be tempted to buy. That being said I did listen to a few headphones that I wanted to get additional time on. I managed to listen to all of the headphones on my system so at least that was consistent.

Qualia 010: Detail, Detail, and more Detail. Entirely too much of what I normally consider a good thing. I’m happy that they’re not my cup of tea; I need to desire a $3600 headphone like I need a hole in the head. From what little experience I have had with the previous top of the line the Sony R10, Sony took a huge step backward with the Qualia 010.

ATH-L3000: I was afraid to listen to these. I’m a sucker for leather and great build quality. The L3000’s have my vote for the most attractive stock set of cans. From all of the descriptions of the L3000’s sound I was sure that I’d love them. I was wrong. I’d never buy these; the wings make them just about the most uncomfortable headphone that I have tried. The sound; Great Bass! Great Highs! Unfortunately I found the midrange to be a bit Honky. Since most music resides in the midrange this is a fatal flaw.

I also tried two other Audio Technica headphones both of which displayed similar midrange colorations. It must be the AT house sound. I'm surprised as hell that I ended up disliking the AT phones that I tried. It reemphasizes that only a personal audition can truly allow someone to know if they will like a specific piece of equipment.

Nov 16, 2005 at 5:13 PM Post #208 of 235
Quote:

Get out. That dude is you?
confused.gif

Duuuude!
cool.gif

Nov 16, 2005 at 5:43 PM Post #209 of 235
I'm always more convinced how "dangerous" are these meetings were people listen a lot of top-class headphones one after the other, the most detailed and after 2 or 3 minutes the most euphonic or colored. A good dynamic one and after two minutes the best electrostatic one... and so on... for me this is only negative. Impossible to have a correct opinion in this kind of testes (IMHO). The most opposites impressions we can read in the forum are after a meeting like this!

BUT very nice to meet many headfiers and friends, yes this is a great experience...

Just mw two cents...

Best!
Nicola

Nov 16, 2005 at 9:58 PM Post #210 of 235
Quote:

icon10.gif
i have to say that i thought the photo was a tribute to your father!
icon10.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back