NYC Meet 11/12/05 Impressions
Nov 18, 2005 at 4:04 AM Post #226 of 235
Quote:

Originally Posted by raisin
icon10.gif
i have to say that i thought the photo was a tribute to your father!
icon10.gif

I actually look noting like my father, er, well, the guy I give a card to on Father's Day.

Nov 18, 2005 at 12:55 PM Post #227 of 235
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nik
I'm always more convinced how "dangerous" are these meetings were people listen a lot of top-class headphones one after the other, the most detailed and after 2 or 3 minutes the most euphonic or colored. A good dynamic one and after two minutes the best electrostatic one... and so on... for me this is only negative. Impossible to have a correct opinion in this kind of testes (IMHO). The most opposites impressions we can read in the forum are after a meeting like this!

BUT very nice to meet many headfiers and friends, yes this is a great experience...

Just mw two cents...

Best!
Nicola

I think you've hit the nail right on the head with the line I bolded. I think it's more dangerous to spend too much time in solitude, in front of a computer, with headphones on. If the price for getting out of the house and socializing is some bad judgements about headphones, I think it's worth it.

That being said, I think that most people realize that under meet conditions it is impossible to understand the true sonic signature of any gear. However, you can find out about headphones or other gear that you want to audition or research more.

Nov 18, 2005 at 1:36 PM Post #228 of 235
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nik
I'm always more convinced how "dangerous" are these meetings were people listen a lot of top-class headphones one after the other, the most detailed and after 2 or 3 minutes the most euphonic or colored. A good dynamic one and after two minutes the best electrostatic one... and so on... for me this is only negative. Impossible to have a correct opinion in this kind of testes (IMHO). The most opposites impressions we can read in the forum are after a meeting like this!

BUT very nice to meet many headfiers and friends, yes this is a great experience...

Just mw two cents...

Best!
Nicola

This is true Nik, but only if you try to listen everything at the same time, a really bad idea, but if you center your attention in trying two heapdhone or three in particular, and try to make comparisons, that is not the case at all...I heard in the first part o the meeting, about 1hour, a few amps and headphones, but later on just the few headphones that I was interested in hearing, and centered my attention in the L3000, DT880 and Orpeheus systems...and I tried the L3000 and DT880, out of different amps to form a more complate opinion on the sound, of course problably you will not get the best out of any headphone if the system is not optimized for it, but at least you will get a very good idea, and at least determine if you will like or not one given piece of audio...Sometimes you will hear them, in amps and sources, that you will never be able to afford or have home too...
evil_smiley.gif

Nov 18, 2005 at 4:48 PM Post #229 of 235
I'm muy late to this thread, but better late than never. This was my first meet and I was not disappointed. It was great to finally meet the actual people behind the screen names, as well as to see again some faces I've done head-fi business with in person. I was able to stay for only half of it and I regret not having met more head-fi'ers. It gets said all the time, but what a great group of folks, graciously sharing their expensive gear and/or their thoughts on this insane hobby.

Finally met the holy trinity of the meet circuit: Tyll, Mikhail and Ray. All three were every bit as engaging, informative and truly nice as I had expected. They all build some amazing products and I wish them continued success. It was too bad Justin couldn't make it.

Some impressions:

- I don't know if it's been determined just how much bass the K701 has (or lacks) but it certainly wasn't left wanting driven by the new Max. Holy cow, loads of bass.
- Was very impressed with Mikhail's gold Maestro from my brief listen. I wish I had a chance to listen to it longer than a minute but it was very popular all day.
- Orpheus system - sounds truly organic and has an incredible flow and liquidity. Absolutely zero harshness/sibilance. Definitely the best thing I heard at the meet.
- The Eastsound E5 is a nice little value at its price. While I wasn't blown away by the sound quality as some others on these forums, I haven't heard anything significantly better in its price range. The transport loaded discs in a flash!
- Not much to say about the Ray Samuels stuff because I own/have owned so many of his offerings. Missed my chance to try the Stealth but did try the Raptor and was duly impressed. Sounds solid state but with an ever so slight touch of tube warmth.
- TheSloth has a killer setup with that Powerbook -> Airport Express -> Max DAC -> Balanced Home (Max). I wish I could've heard a taste of something other than classical through that rig though.

That's it for now.

Nov 18, 2005 at 4:57 PM Post #230 of 235
Wah, insomniac, you didn't have time to check out my rig? I had the other half of those Quail cords you bought all plugged in too!
wink.gif

Nov 21, 2005 at 4:17 PM Post #231 of 235
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn
Wah, insomniac, you didn't have time to check out my rig? I had the other half of those Quail cords you bought all plugged in too!
wink.gif

Jahn, I was hoping to spend some time with your Melos rig but it never happened unfortunately. There was always a lot going on by your rig, what with all those dacs and amps and wires!

nycmeet19.jpg

Nov 27, 2005 at 5:37 AM Post #232 of 235
Quote:

Originally Posted by insomniac
Jahn, I was hoping to spend some time with your Melos rig but it never happened unfortunately. There was always a lot going on by your rig, what with all those dacs and amps and wires!

If I had my way, that's the way my rig would look everyday
biggrin.gif

Nov 27, 2005 at 6:29 AM Post #233 of 235
That picture reminds me of Lily Tomlin on Laugh-In as the switchboard operator saying "One ringy ding...two ringy dingy..."

Nov 27, 2005 at 8:10 AM Post #234 of 235
You are living my life temporarily in that picture.
tongue.gif
Although the density of it in this picture is rather intense.

Dec 7, 2005 at 9:12 PM Post #235 of 235
Quote:

Originally Posted by lan
You are living my life temporarily in that picture.
tongue.gif
Although the density of it in this picture is rather intense.

And imagine my despair when lan asked me to set it up! I barely knew what a digital coax out was hehe - but you can be certain I know what everything is now. But it did eat up half the meet to set it up, and the end result was that it wasn't worth it because it was too loud in there lol!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back