Quote:

Originally Posted by bozebuttons /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Let the Flame Wars Start
evil_smiley.gif

Belittle-Flame_Thrower.jpg

Nov 26, 2009 at 6:17 AM Post #47 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by bozebuttons /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So I would have to say that the newer older pairs do sound differant,the same as the newer /older R10s.

So my conclusion is there is a differance & I much prefer the older pairs
presentation.
Let the Flame Wars Start
evil_smiley.gif

No flames, but interested. At CanJam we had my HE90 pair (new batch) and neilvg's (old batch) plugged into the same amp and there was a difference but not the one you found. My newer pair was a tad brighter, aggressive. His were more relaxed, pleasant. If I had to choose I might take his pair, but I am happy with mine too.

Nov 26, 2009 at 11:25 AM Post #49 of 53
The SR-Ω comes in somewhere around 3K$, depending on condition.

I'd also like to add that I don't believe charging has any effect on how electrostatics sound. The whole always-on bias craze back in the day was more down to the warm up of the amps then any charging issues unless the phones are defective in some way or the bias supply is damaged/badly designed. I've tried to replicate this time and time again by using identical headphones (one in regular use and the other left untouched for weeks) and the "uncharged" one reached full potential in less then a second. The same can't be said about an amp running for a few hours compared to a cold one.

Now if you don't discharge the diaphragms before putting the phones away a parasitic charge may form on the resistive coating which will lower the sensitivity of the phones quite dramatically. This isn't normal operation and could be considered a defect though simply driving the phones for a while usually gets rid of the charge.

Nov 26, 2009 at 6:08 PM Post #50 of 53
I just pulled numbers out of my head and figured if I found an R10 for $5500-6000 and an Omgega 1 for $2500-3000 (low end of prices) that would be about the $8000-$8500 for an HE90, which I have seen go for that before. Give or take a few dollars. I know where I could get an Omega 1 right now (I could offer $3K and likely get it) but I spent everything I had on the WES to properly drive my O2 Mk1. So unfortunately it is out of the question
frown.gif

Nov 26, 2009 at 7:22 PM Post #51 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just pulled numbers out of my head and figured if I found an R10 for $5500-6000 and an Omgega 1 for $2500-3000 (low end of prices) that would be about the $8000-$8500 for an HE90, which I have seen go for that before. Give or take a few dollars. I know where I could get an Omega 1 right now (I could offer $3K and likely get it) but I spent everything I had on the WES to properly drive my O2 Mk1. So unfortunately it is out of the question
frown.gif

This is the 2nd. time I have done this, I hope you don't think I an being a jerk.
I am just trying to keep you honest.
icon10.gif

Nov 12, 2010 at 4:27 PM Post #52 of 53
Quote:
Now if you don't discharge the diaphragms before putting the phones away a parasitic charge may form on the resistive coating which will lower the sensitivity of the phones quite dramatically. This isn't normal operation and could be considered a defect though simply driving the phones for a while usually gets rid of the charge.

Birgir, is this true for all Stax or all 'stats? how do you discharge them prior to putting them away?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back