NYC Head-Fi'ers beware! Mayor Bloomberg is after you.
Mar 6, 2013 at 6:48 PM Post #2 of 16
Why would a head-fier be listening at loud volumes?

I for one never push my headphones. I like hearing nuances and would like to continue to do so as I get older.

Mar 7, 2013 at 12:10 PM Post #5 of 16
Saw that AP article in the local news site.  To be fair, a lot of people have their ear buds or portable headphones set to pretty damn high volumes that they are very audible from several feet away when I take public transportation.  I listen a pretty low volume with my CIEM's when I'm on the go, but that's because it has good sound isolation.  

Mar 20, 2013 at 2:18 PM Post #6 of 16
The Master must control his chattle.

According to Hillary Clinton and the other progressives like Bloomberg, "It Takes a Village to Raise a Child". Guess where they think you fit in to that philosophy...

Mar 20, 2013 at 3:20 PM Post #8 of 16
I am totally in support for more education of todays youth. As a fairly young person myself in NY I think too many people are ignorant. I cover my ears when a subway is pulling up, trains too. I have custom molded hearing protection that is stealthy and effective with changeable filters. I am only starting to see a few people as aware about hearing protection as I am. At concerts though I have noticed a new trend to sell or give out foam ear plugs. I went to a concert last weekend and they sold a little case with a set of ear plugs for $2-3 I believe. I even saw some wearing them.

I went to a Bassnectar concert in November and had a great time. At the main entrance they had a foam ear plug dispenser giving out free ear plugs. I mentioned it to some of the people around me at the concert and they had mentioned they've been to other shows of his and he has stopped the show to yell at young kids that are up front and not wearing any protection. This is the type of artists I like to support. I enjoyed my night and had a new appreciation for an artist I already liked because of this information. (I got a pair of free tickets to that show because his vinyl pressing got lost in the mail and then it took months to get a new batch pressed, so I was already happy that night)

Good news is no matter what they say, I have CIEM's I use on the go that you won't hear how loud it is no matter what, unless you're me of course, but I don't really move two far when I always have a great amount of isolation in even the noisiest places. 

Mar 20, 2013 at 3:21 PM Post #9 of 16
Quote:
Why would a head-fier be listening at loud volumes?

I for one never push my headphones. I like hearing nuances and would like to continue to do so as I get older.

Doesn't matter if you're using them reasonably, NYC will probably ban it anyway.

I doubt that now, because supreme court justice invalidated the drinks legislation.

Mar 20, 2013 at 3:26 PM Post #10 of 16
The drinks legislation was over the top. I had no issue with limiting the size of a drink inside of a restaurant but it was gonna mean if you order in pizza the delivery person couldn't just bring a 2 Liter bottle, instead it would be many small bottles. Which is silly and a bit much. Tax it if you wanna discourage it, that totally works, just look at cigarettes and smokers...
Quote:
I doubt that now, because supreme court justice invalidated the drinks legislation.

Mar 24, 2013 at 4:07 AM Post #11 of 16
Who the screw does this guy think he is!? He forces you to drink small sodas, and now this! (I think the smoking and the Trans-Fat ones are reasonable).

I don't use IEM's or Earphones because I don't like them. And I'm aware that they cause hearing loss. But if I want to listen to my IEM's at full volume on both my amp and my source (iPods are the only devices used apparently), I can do it! I have every right to do it! It is my problem if I become deaf. Besides, I think all the noise in NYC is the problem. Traffic, People, Metro, etc.

Thank God I don't live in New York.

Mar 24, 2013 at 8:34 AM Post #14 of 16
Quote:
Who the screw does this guy think he is!? He forces you to drink small sodas, and now this! (I think the smoking and the Trans-Fat ones are reasonable).

I don't use IEM's or Earphones because I don't like them. And I'm aware that they cause hearing loss. But if I want to listen to my IEM's at full volume on both my amp and my source (iPods are the only devices used apparently), I can do it! I have every right to do it! It is my problem if I become deaf. Besides, I think all the noise in NYC is the problem. Traffic, People, Metro, etc.

Thank God I don't live in New York.

If i'm not wrong the article says he just wants to raise awareness. That's totally coll with me. 

Mar 24, 2013 at 2:34 PM Post #15 of 16
Quote:
and I though 'merica is tha land of freedomz

Make that 2 small cokes and a Large Freedom Fries w/cheese , please ;')

/ Pentagon cafeteria actually re-branded French Fries to Freedom Fries in 2002 in protest
to the French resistance to the rush to war in Iraq . 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back