NYC Bi-Annual Meet March 3rd
Feb 23, 2007 at 7:12 AM Post #601 of 808
Quote:

Originally Posted by n_maher /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Guess what's coming to NYC?
The β22 is officially ready for action.

is that ready for action or for auction?
wink.gif

Feb 23, 2007 at 1:06 PM Post #602 of 808
Quote:

Originally Posted by daveDerek /img/forum/go_quote.gif
is that ready for action or for auction?
wink.gif

You can offer, the answer will be no.
wink.gif

Feb 23, 2007 at 2:47 PM Post #603 of 808
I'm very interested in hearing too. It's the one project I really want to do, but won't since I think it's too advanced for me. =T

Feb 23, 2007 at 3:34 PM Post #604 of 808
Stephan AudioArt is a donating a 9-ft singled ended (1/4" or 3.5mm) Equinox HD650/600/580 audiophile headphone cable to be raffled off at the NY meet.

We are movin' and groovin'
cool.gif

Feb 23, 2007 at 3:50 PM Post #605 of 808
Quote:

Originally Posted by laxx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm very interested in hearing too. It's the one project I really want to do, but won't since I think it's too advanced for me. =T

Whether or not it's too advanced is tough to say. It was certainly a challenging project for me and quite time consuming. I'd wager I probably have 50+ hours into it with about half spent just populating the amp and power supply boards and the rest being the wiring and casework. It was relatively trouble free for the most part but I've built somewhere in the neighborhood of 40 amps now so I'd like to think that I avoid most of the common pitfalls. Of course I did wire the volume pot wrong the first time I wired up this amp though so clearly I'm still learning.
biggrin.gif

And it's not the cheapest build either. When it's all said and done I'd wager I could have just bought a Singlepower Extreme and had my amp months ago. Of course then it'd have someone else's name on the front.

Feb 23, 2007 at 3:59 PM Post #606 of 808
That's the pleasure of DIY amps and why I want to get into it. I think I'll stay away from the B22 for now since it's so costly, and with my limited, and I mean very limited, experience, I'll start with something smaller. Plus I can use it at work. =T

Feb 23, 2007 at 4:02 PM Post #607 of 808
Quote:

Originally Posted by n_maher /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Guess what's coming to NYC?

Sydney Porti-amp? (this is a joke that only the older members might appreciate unless you watch Turner Movie Classics).

Feb 23, 2007 at 4:06 PM Post #608 of 808
Quote:

That's the pleasure of DIY amps and why I want to get into it. I think I'll stay away from the B22 for now since it's so costly, and with my limited, and I mean very limited, experience, I'll start with something smaller. Plus I can use it at work. =T

Laxx, you can start with this:

http://www.bottlehead.com/et/adobespc/S.E.X./SEX.htm

sexnuderedo.jpg

Feb 23, 2007 at 4:36 PM Post #609 of 808
Quote:

I think I'll stay away from the B22 for now since it's so costly, and with my limited, and I mean very limited, experience, I'll start with something smaller. Plus I can use it at work. =T

Click the link in my sig for my work PIMETA - that would much a much better starting point for you. And the amp that Aaron linked to Is supposed to have excellent documentation, I've thought about building one several times. That and the Mapletree Ear+ call to me.

Feb 24, 2007 at 1:11 PM Post #612 of 808
Quote:

Originally Posted by immtbiker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Stephan AudioArt is a donating a 9-ft singled ended (1/4" or 3.5mm) Equinox HD650/600/580 audiophile headphone cable to be raffled off at the NY meet.

We are movin' and groovin'
cool.gif

Wow that's really cool of them

Feb 24, 2007 at 6:34 PM Post #614 of 808
Quote:

Originally Posted by immtbiker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Laxx, you can start with this:

http://www.bottlehead.com/et/adobespc/S.E.X./SEX.htm

sexnuderedo.jpg

Hmmm... That's intriguing. I may just have to try that out. It looks more doable (and I'm not talking about the chick) for someone utterly inexperienced with soldering like me, but probably worthwhile. Thanks for that link!

OK, for the record, I plan on bringing the following gear to the meet:

iriver H120 (with wired remote)
Cowon A2
RSA Tomahawk (well-burned-in)
Cardas 6" mini-to-mini
Future Sonics EM3 (with 1 package of extra foam tips)
Etymotics ER6
Beyerdynamic DT250-80

Now, I ONLY have foam tips for the EM3 (the ER6 have rubber tips, though). I'd love for people to try them, but if you're squeamish about sharing foamies, I may have to ask you for $5 for your own pair. I only have the one package, and they cost $26 for a pack of 10. I hate to be stingy, but after being out of work for a month I need the cash (for more foamies). On the bright side, you could keep the foamies and use them on a new set of XtremeMac FS1's if you like the EM3 (same hardware, only the FS1 is pretty). If you don't mind sharing foamies, though, no worries. Don't worry, I'll start with a fresh pair.

Note on the Etymotics: If anyone tries them and likes them, I'm willing to sell them. Personally, I hate them (no bass, even with the Tomahawk). But maybe someone else will like their analytic sound. If not, I'll be posting them on the Headphones For Sale section afterwards.

My wife may or may not show up as well to see what all the fuss is about. Heh.

See you all then!

-Packgrog

Feb 24, 2007 at 6:43 PM Post #615 of 808
Quote:

Originally Posted by jp11801 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I really want to try to build one of these amps (and maybe the lady as well)

Believe it or not, that lady is Dr. Bottlehead's wife...seriously!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back