NYC 2005 Minis-Mini-Meet #1
Jun 29, 2005 at 10:53 PM Post #31 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn
stick that thing in a tin can and hand it over!
eggosmile.gif

I want to see various sculptural configurations and a balanced version... maybe shaped like an elephant ... with .

Also... the huge black box version.

...a "Hello Kitty" version?
k1000smile.gif

Jul 1, 2005 at 4:16 AM Post #32 of 34
We chat a lot... but forgot to say [size=x-large]THANK YOU, OSKI![/size] for inviting us into your lovely, airy apartment for our get-together.
orphsmile.gif

Jul 1, 2005 at 8:07 AM Post #33 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by Romanee
We chat a lot... but forgot to say THANK YOU, OSKI! for inviting us into your lovely, airy apartment for our get-together. he90:

Hey Peter, I appreciate that. If anything, [size=small]THANK YOU[/size] for bringing all the equipment for us to try out. You are the one-man mini meet on wheels!

Quote:

Originally Posted by erikzen
So I'm still awaiting the decision of this elite group as to what is the best portable amp. Was there any concensus amongst the quadrumvirate?

The portable amps that stood out for me at the mini meet were the SR-71, Portaphile V2^2 and the Coda.

Sound Quality
Sonically the SR-71 is hard to beat with its refined and velvety sound. It just seem to produce sound with ease and effortless control, with good extension from top to bottom, and has an airy and expansive soundstage. It also presents inner detail more delicately than the others. However, both the Coda and the Portaphile have slightly more forward sound with an overall more intimate soundstage which contributes to a more cohesive picture. The SR-71 has better width and height (X and Y axis dimensionality), though both the Coda and Portaphile have slightly better depth, resonance and texture. In terms of overall character, the SR-71 and Coda are a shade on the warm side while the Portaphile is a bit on the cool side. On the top end, the SR-71 is cleaner compared to the others. However the Coda excels in the mids with its more intimate sound and sweeter mid range, making it a great choice for vocals. All three amps are very fast and dynamic with quick transient response. However in complex passages I find the SR-71 to be just a bit more resolving, which is due to the SR-71’s slightly better clarity and transparency. It really is little wonder why the SR-71 has a large cadre of ardent supporters and is widely considered the benchmark portable amp.

Portability
For real on-the-go listening, the Portaphile would unequivocally be my choice. At the width and length of a credit card, the Hammond enclosure is much smaller in feel than the other two, and with a single 9v, the unit is lightweight compared to the brick-like feel of the SR-71 and the much larger dimensions of the Coda. With its clear anodized aluminum enclosure and protective plastic bezels the casing the amp is built to weather the rough terrain while being carried about. While the meticulous silkscreening looks impressive on the SR-71, it definitely has the potential to be rubbed off when being tossed around in bags and the matte finish of the Coda is likely prone to scratches or showing stay marks. In addition, at 1/2 the price of the SR-71 and 2/3 the price of the Coda, the Portaphile is something that I can toss around without as much regard for breakage or loss.

X-Factor
The Coda is just a very cool piece of equipment, it was a limited edition release that signaled the transition of the old HeadRoom to the new (only 25 pairs of the Coda/Overture stack were ever produced, with just 20 stacks being released outside of HeadRoom). The sleekness of the enclosure and matte black powder finish reminds me of the stealth fighter. Its striking good looks are more than doubled when paired with the Overture DAC, which at $300 is a real bargain in the audiophile world and my main headphone source (it’s no wonder that the successor Micro DAC is selling like hotcakes). My Coda is currently back with HeadRoom to be upgraded to the latest desktop module, thanks to HeadRoom’s generous one-shot deal for Coda owners…GRATIS! With the upgrade, it may give renewed challenge to the SR-71 and definitely will make the rounds for the next NYC mini meet we’ll be having in a few months to compare the next generation of portable amps looming in the horizon.

Jul 9, 2005 at 3:14 AM Post #34 of 34
looks like you guys had a lot of fun! great pics

Users who are viewing this thread

Back